• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Purse stolen before TOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I signed it at the end. If he added anything after, it would have looked rather odd.

I believe every page was numbered too, so he couldn't insert pages in-between afterwards either.

tannedfrog

Is one obliged to sign anything? I thought providing one's address to the RPI was the only requirement

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wasn't obliged to even stick around, but did so as I didn't want him making anything up or misrepresenting me (i.e. writing that I was confessing to trying to defraud the train operator).

If you were accused of fraud with a view to prosecuting you in court, would you just walk away? In my case, he'd spoken to a couple of people who said he was right and I was wrong, so how would I know how easy it would be to get it cancelled afterwards? As it happened, it WAS easy - but I didn't know that at the time.

tannedfrog

If you were accused of fraud with a view to prosecuting you in court, would you just walk away?.
I don't know what I would do tbh but I would not wish to waste time explaining myself to an RPI like the one you describe.

Is giving name and address and walking away sufficient in these circumstances?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I was being reported for fraud, so while I could have given my details and walked off, I think it would be silly to do so.

The reason it took so long was there was a process where he had to write down a series of questions for every offence, starting with every offence for a certain number of days, then weeks and then months. I can't remember exactly what it was - but it was a LOT (over 10 pages of his notebook, with the same few questions asked repeatedly).

The questions were along the lines of, did you travel on this date... did you travel with (tickets carried - in my case a Z1-3 ticket and a Z4-6 ticket) and did I attempt to avoid paying my fare.. For those that didn't know, yes he was reporting me for fraud for not having a ticket valid between zones 3 and 4 (and ignoring how the zonal system works). That's why it was cancelled so quickly, along with a big apology and some 'retraining'.

In normal circumstances, I doubt it would take so long. Spare a thought for his colleague who had to sit idly by waiting for this interview to take place outside the station by the buses at Finsbury Park station!

The upside is that all staff got a bulletin to remind them that a Z1-3 and Z4-6 ticket combination is valid to cover all six zones, using my exact ticket combination (starting from Hatfield with the Z4-6 ticket) as a case study! What a shame I've not renewed my season ticket with FCC this year!

(Anyway, apologies for hijacking this thread with something that's rather off topic)

Bungle73

On Moderation
I was being reported for fraud, so while I could have given my details and walked off, I think it would be silly to do so.

The reason it took so long was there was a process where he had to write down a series of questions for every offence, starting with every offence for a certain number of days, then weeks and then months. I can't remember exactly what it was - but it was a LOT (over 10 pages of his notebook, with the same few questions asked repeatedly).

The questions were along the lines of, did you travel on this date... did you travel with (tickets carried - in my case a Z1-3 ticket and a Z4-6 ticket) and did I attempt to avoid paying my fare.. For those that didn't know, yes he was reporting me for fraud for not having a ticket valid between zones 3 and 4 (and ignoring how the zonal system works). That's why it was cancelled so quickly, along with a big apology and some 'retraining'.

In normal circumstances, I doubt it would take so long. Spare a thought for his colleague who had to sit idly by waiting for this interview to take place outside the station by the buses at Finsbury Park station!

The upside is that all staff got a bulletin to remind them that a Z1-3 and Z4-6 ticket combination is valid to cover all six zones, using my exact ticket combination (starting from Hatfield with the Z4-6 ticket) as a case study! What a shame I've not renewed my season ticket with FCC this year!

(Anyway, apologies for hijacking this thread with something that's rather off topic)
That's ridiculous tbh. I hope you got some compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.