• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified Driver - Good Time to Change TOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Economist

I'm based in the capital at the moment and I'm thinking of applying for roles to the North or West. On one hand, I'm thinking it's based to wait and see what deals ASLEF does/doesn't get, yet at the same time, I'm concerned that future contracts might have a "B-Scale" provision whereby anyone who has joined after a certain date is on worse T&Cs. Has anyone else thought about a move at the moment and what the pros/cons may be?

I'm still fairly young, single etc and most of my family are spread throughout the country so I don't have specific ties to any one place. I know there's one or two TOCs that won't, as far as I know, take qualified drivers (Merseyrail, Thameslink etc.) but that aside, what do people think about the idea of a qualified move in the near future to a passenger TOC?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
it’s entirely up to you. My advice is do your research as t&c’s differ massively from one company to the next.

lunlen45

If you want to move, then move. Life's to short to worry about hypothetical what ifs that you have no control over :)

Class2ldn

Chiltern won't entertain relocations either.
Fair few been waiting a while for interviews for gwr, myself included.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Any particular TOC you are looking at - that might impact your decision and people may be able to advise.

A lot of TOCs have continual adverts up for qualified drivers, so might be worth having a browse - they certainly come up more than trainee positions but the process can take just as long.

TheEdge

Established Member
I thinks its a brave choice at the moment. There is that concern in my mind that GBR/HMT could (could being the key word) be ruthless in getting some money back. And if you are qualified, productive and with plenty of years of seniority you might be in a better situation to weather whatever storm comes.

lunlen45

I thinks its a brave choice at the moment. There is that concern in my mind that GBR/HMT could (could being the key word) be ruthless in getting some money back. And if you are qualified, productive and with plenty of years of seniority you might be in a better situation to weather whatever storm comes.
What do you think could happen to drivers? Any rumours floating about?

baz962

Established Member
I moved tocs in August. Been no problems whatsoever. I would go for it if you want to.

TheEdge

Established Member
What do you think could happen to drivers? Any rumours floating about?

No idea, would depend on the exact situation of each depot and any decisions GBR/HMT make at some point in the future...

wobman

On Moderation
No idea, would depend on the exact situation of each depot and any decisions GBR/HMT make at some point in the future...
Have you seen the recruitment drives by most tocs, the industry is short of drivers I can assure you. The redundancy package is not open to traincrew

Atishyou

Anything is possible and it would all just be guesswork on our part.

If you want to move, move. Life's too short to have regrets. If job cuts loom, there's plenty who would take the money and run in almost every depot.

Go for it I say.

Economist

Thank you all for the replies, I'm going to try and go for Class 1 passenger work and whilst I haven't previously done rest day working, somewhere with a decent rest day agreement would be ideal (I know there's a few places which do 1.5x basic). I havne't tried anywhere for a while though I'd like to go for the likes of LNER, XC, Avanti, SWR, WMT, EMR, TPE etc.

I know there's a few places which won't take relocations, out of those which do does anyone know if I'd score lower on an appication due to the prospect of relocating?

lammergeier

Can't speak for the others but XC accept relocation. We don't currently have a RDW agreement (it lapsed in December) but I suspect that we'll either get one sorted again soon or other TOCs will be joining us if this is the direction of travel from Govt.

I wouldn't necessarily base moving TOCs on the RDW in force as things can change fairly quick as we've just found out (along with out friends at TPE if I'm not mistaken.)

Teddysim

Hi all. Does anyone know about the 2 year rule in regards to moving toc? How does this work and do TOCS take drivers before this?

302PS

been considering this myself heavily lately, but a jump to freight instead

DA1

Hi all. Does anyone know about the 2 year rule in regards to moving toc? How does this work and do TOCS take drivers before this?
Every TOC is different. Most of the time it’s 3 years with a clean safety of line record however some like Crossrail who advertised recently stated only 1 year.

baz962

Established Member
Depends on the toc. I know a few that moved in under two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.