• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified Driver Jobs, FGW Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieChops

Hi all,

I'm a qualified driver with 9 years experience and clear safety record.

I'm currently looking at applying for a drivers job at FGW Bristol Temple Meads, can anyone tell me what routes and traction they sign and what are the rest day patterns that are worked?

Also FGW seem to be taking on at most traincrew depots, do they have drivers leaving or is this recruitment drive just because of expansion?

many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

@FGWLee

Most current recruitment is due to increase in depot size to cater for future requirements and new train introduction. Broadly speaking Bristol drivers sign route to Exeter, London, Swansea, Hereford, Worcester, Weymouth. Also towards south coast (Southampton/Portsmouth).

455driver

Veteran Member
Most current recruitment is due to increase in depot size to cater for future requirements and new train introduction. Broadly speaking Bristol drivers sign route to Exeter, London, Swansea, Hereford, Worcester, Weymouth. Also towards south coast (Southampton/Portsmouth).

That might be right for HS but he will be a West driver for a number of years so that info would be more relevant.

NX

Bristol to Westbury onwards to Portsmouth and Weymouth.
Bristol to Chelthenham via Bristol Parkway.
Bristol to Taunton via Weston Super Mare.
Bristol to Severn Beach.
Bristol to Cardiff via Severn Tunnel.
Bristol to St Phillips Marsh TMD

Traction is: 150/153/158/159

Not all links sign all routes.

Moves to the HS are going through very quickly compared to years ago, some down to less than 4 after passing out fresh as a driver.

NX

NX

Recently taken on too. I'm afraid. Several went across the station from FGW West to them.

NX

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Don't just look at the £££s, look at the bigger picture called T&C's, then the £££.

One of the possible downsides of being on the HSS at Bristol, is with IEP trains & new timetable, it's quite possible that you could be booked a double London, now whilst that may not seem a hardship, it most certainly can be if things go pear-shaped on the way up & you're stuck a 100+ miles away from home.

Know what that feels like, got stuck in Bournemouth once & the car is 60 miles away & home another 40.

tlionhart

Don't just look at the £££s, look at the bigger picture called T&C's, then the £££.

One of the possible downsides of being on the HSS at Bristol, is with IEP trains & new timetable, it's quite possible that you could be booked a double London, now whilst that may not seem a hardship, it most certainly can be if things go pear-shaped on the way up & you're stuck a 100+ miles away from home.

Know what that feels like, got stuck in Bournemouth once & the car is 60 miles away & home another 40.

...or getting stuck down route on an aircraft somewhere in the world...

SkinnyDave

Established Member

I think double trips are almost certain with IEP , 2 trips via Box and 2 via Parkway

tlionhart

I could of sworn my house mate who is Paddington based does double trips. He's on the London to Bristol a lot and kind of does lates/ nights.

455driver

Veteran Member
XC have very few conditions left.

They will be doing double Londons (and a lot of them), that is already confirmed.

I will be staying in the Branch link as long as possible, once I am playing of course.

BestWestern

Established Member
I could of sworn my house mate who is Paddington based does double trips. He's on the London to Bristol a lot and kind of does lates/ nights.

Is he a Driver or another grade? Train Managers (Guards) and buffet crew (Customer Hosts) do a lot of 'four trippers' (esp. the buffet guys), Drivers not often so far as I know, certainly not from the Bristol end anyway. A lot of their jobs will tend to involve a shunt move to a depot or similar, so there isn't the time.

As for Bristol, brand new Drivers sign only 'core routes' for a year or so, which means to Bristol Parkway, Weson Super Mare, Severn Beach and The Marsh, plus of course endless station shunts. Mind numbing is the general concensus; not sure how the route learning works for ready qualified Drivers.

oxoneil

What happens when you get stuck far away with no train to return on?

Status
Not open for further replies.