• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick40uk

Hey guys,

Out of interest what defines a qualified driver?

You see a lot of ads for them with various TOCs but they don't always say how much experience they require. Some places seem to say 2 years minimum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cossie4i

You are a qualified driver as soon as you get your key.

Most companies like you to have at least 2 years experience so they can check on your record.

W230

Established Member
You see a lot of ads for them with various TOCs but they don't always say how much experience they require. Some places seem to say 2 years minimum.
As above really. I think some TOCs may occasionally take drivers on with less than 2 years experience but would think it is rare.

Nick82

I have a question regarding this also, the guys that drive the London underground, Tyne & Wear metro and other metro trains in the UK, are they classed as qualified train drivers?

NX

No, different rules and regulations and training standards. I'm afraid.

NX

Nick82

lol, no thats fine was just curiosity as people say its a stepping stone but to me they are different roles within there own right, thanks again for your info

Gemz91

I've been told that I'll be a Post Qualified Driver for my first two years, not allowed other drivers in my cab (route learning ect) unless they are a mentor/instructor/assessor, or not permitted to route conduct other drivers. Also means I'll have more ride outs with my gaffer and have more downloads done to ensure I'm driving correctly. Not sure if this is company policy or industry wide, but I'm sure someone on here will tell me.

cossie4i

I've been told that I'll be a Post Qualified Driver for my first two years, not allowed other drivers in my cab (route learning ect) unless they are a mentor/instructor/assessor, or not permitted to route conduct other drivers. Also means I'll have more ride outs with my gaffer and have more downloads done to ensure I'm driving correctly. Not sure if this is company policy or industry wide, but I'm sure someone on here will tell me.

Its the same on Southeastern.

W230

Established Member
Slightly different where I am. You can't have anyone in the cab for a year but could route conduct other drivers. Still PQA for two years though.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
For our lot you're known as a PQ driver for the first two years, after that you get treated exactly the same as a driver who's been on the footplate for donkey's years.

If you want to consider moving most TOCs like to see at least 2 years incident free driving records, some will NOT even consider you if you have a SPAD on your record. Eurostar generally require 5 years driving experience before you will be considered.

driver9000

Established Member
The last Eurostar advert for Drivers I saw specified 5 years minimum as a high speed driver. That must have cut the list down somewhat!

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
You'd think that all the companies would have a gentleman's agreement not to take on post qualified drivers with less than two or three years experience. That would greatly reduce the numbers of people who basically lie at their interview saying they are willing to relocate for the job when the truth is they are only willing to relocate for the training.

Andy-mc

You'd think that all the companies would have a gentleman's agreement not to take on post qualified drivers with less than two or three years experience. That would greatly reduce the numbers of people who basically lie at their interview saying they are willing to relocate for the job when the truth is they are only willing to relocate for the training.

Maybe more companies should do like freightliner and get you to sign a pay back agreement if you leave within the first 5 years of employment to stop that from happening

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Some companies will charge the driver a portion of the training costs that they've paid if the driver & leaves & joins another company before a certain length of time.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Maybe more companies should do like freightliner and get you to sign a pay back agreement if you leave within the first 5 years of employment to stop that from happening

They might say it but legally they are on dodgy ground.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some companies will charge the driver a portion of the training costs that they've paid if the driver & leaves & joins another company before a certain length of time.

Have you actually heard of any driver being charged these claw back fees?

I havent and when they tried a similar thing on the buses some of the first drivers charged these fees took the Companies to Court and the drivers won.

So Virgin, East Coast, Cross Country etc would start training their own drivers up would they!
Why would they sign up to this when they dont have to do it now?

Back in BR days going from the local work to the high speed, inter city stuff would have been called a promotion, now it is called poaching! :lol:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
They might say it but legally they are on dodgy ground.

Have you actually heard of any driver being charged these claw back fees?

I havent and when they tried a similar thing on the buses some of the first drivers charged these fees took the Companies to Court and the drivers won.

They have started to, one guy that came over to us from South East direction is currently paying back 8 grand to his original TOC..
To be honest if they do take time and investment in training then I can see their point but at the same time not everyone is a **** taker and will have genuine reasons for having to move etc so balance needed

mindthedoors

Are there any Eurostar drivers on here who could give any information on the working patterns and diagrams? It seems that they'll be expanding services over the next few years and I'm wondering what sort of distance drivers are expected to cover.

I am a qualified driver, but only with suburban work in London (no high speed experience).. and my French is terrible. Do I have any chance whatsoever?

Status
Not open for further replies.