• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question re: older UK traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryjoy

I have recently become interested again in the railways of the UK and started to follow the news after a long period of being out of touch.
It's really good to see that some classes of traction that I remember are still in regular use (20s, 37s, 47s, 73s, 86s?) etc., even though their numbers are hugely diminished.
How long do you think these older locomotives will remain in service (not counting preservation)? Will they all be gone in 5 or 10 years time?
Also, my favourite was always the Cromptons (Cl 33). Are there any of these left in service with any of the TOCs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
No sorry they've all left front line service. However there are a fair few on preserved lines and quite of few of them are operational.

Preserved Fleet List

There are four 33s with West Coast Railway Company though, two of which (33025 and 207) do see regular use on the National network powering charter trains and performing spot hire duties, even if WC are not a franchised operator. These two locos will shortly be seeing use powering the railhead treatment train on the Penistone line I believe until enough DRS class 20s are available.

mbonwick

Established Member
WCRC haven't had their 33s out for some time.

I believe DRS are now hiring in 20s vice the 33s (20189 and the other one that was on tube stock moves)

theblackwatch

Established Member
WCRC haven't had their 33s out for some time.

I believe DRS are now hiring in 20s vice the 33s (20189 and the other one that was on tube stock moves)

33207 pops out now and then - it did a York to Whitby charter in July and then spent the rest of the summer as standby loco for the Cambrian steam specials.

dryjoy

Well, it's nice to know that the occasional 33 might still be seen on NR then.
What about classes such as 20, 37 & 47? How long can they be expected to be still in service?

NXEA!

Well if there are Tube Stock moves in the nearish future for the Jubilee Line (which I doubt) you will see 20's as the usual 66's arent allowed to Neasden because of weight restrictions I think. And 4 20's are currently moving stock to Neasden for the Metropolitan Line. As for 37's they will be around as long as the lines with weight restrictions (such as the Cambrian) don't get upgraded. Also a useful locomotive as well so I doubt their days are numbered yet. Finally for 47's again useful mixed traffic locomotive some of them have ETH so where companies can't afford newer locomotives for spot hire contracts and similar work I expect they'll be around for a while. Btw anybody I'm not saying im right just sort of saying what I imagine would happen :lol: :)

Old Timer

Established Member
Well if there are Tube Stock moves in the nearish future for the Jubilee Line (which I doubt) you will see 20's as the usual 66's arent allowed to Neasden because of weight restrictions I think.
Correct. There is a bridge just inside Neasden LUL Depot which is weight restricted. Class 20s are fine but 66s are a no-no.

When I was still working UK, I planned a track renewals tender which would have seen pairs of 20s working prefab trains along the Met. :D :D :D

Unfortunately cuts and economies meant the job did not go ahead.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Hmm- is there perhaps a gap for some sort of replacement for the 20, 37 and 47? Perhaps a two-unit loco (20s seem to get used mainly in pairs anyway) with the haulage power of a 37, 90-100mph top speed (to match 47s) and axle loading of 20s- surely possible with modern engines? Leave the relics to heritage work...

Train wasp

All the information you require is avalible in Rail Guide 2010 By Cloin J Marsden (Ian Allan) ISBN 978-0-7110-3457-0
£16.99

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Well, it's nice to know that the occasional 33 might still be seen on NR then.
What about classes such as 20, 37 & 47? How long can they be expected to be still in service?

DRS seem to like 37s and 47s, they have certainly collected a few for everyday use. I think they will be around for a while.

DBS (EWS) still have a couple of working 37s (I think), but they are due to be sold to DRS (as I understand it) and then a set number are due to be leased back to them each day.

WCRC have a selection of 47s and a couple of 37s IIRC, while Colas Rail have some 47s for whatever work they have to do. Charter work will keep them going if nothing else.

The DRS fleet of 20's has reduced over the last decade or so, from 21 (301-315 + 901-906) to just 5-10 examples now, although they have just been refurbed, so there is a few years in them still.

NR and GBRf have 73s in use on the national network for infrastructure work on the southern region and test train use. These could also be around for a while as there is no sign of a suitable replacement being made available (59/60/66/67 locos can't go everywhere on the network).

As for 86s, EuroPheonix has refurbed a couple for use in the UK (although some have gone to Hungary), and Freightliner still use about 15 of them in pairs on container trains along the West Coast Mainline. Freightliner appear to have no plans to replace them, but should DBS decide they don't need 10 or more of their 90s and sell them, Freightliner might change their mind.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Network Rail have 4x 37s, renumbered in the 97xxx range (for departmental locos of any "base" class), used for test trains for the ERTMS project in Wales.

mallard

Established Member
Network Rail have 4x 37s, renumbered in the 97xxx range (for departmental locos of any "base" class), used for test trains for the ERTMS project in Wales.

For locomotives nominally for a project in Wales, they seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in Derby... I guess NR doesn't have anywhere closer to keep them.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
For locomotives nominally for a project in Wales, they seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in Derby... I guess NR doesn't have anywhere closer to keep them.

did they not open something at shrewsbury just for them?

dryjoy

Thanks for all the interesting responses. It is interesting that some of these really very old locos still have a niche. They certainly make the network a bit more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.