• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail accounts for only 2% of all trips made

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
I'd agree with some of the points made here.

For example, is it actually necessary to run 5 (I think that's how much it is now) trains an hour Manchester to Leeds, off-peak? Would 3 trains an hour, all of at least 8 coaches, perhaps 12 (with platforms lengthened if necessary) not lead to a less congested and more reliable network and one which can still cope with demand? Ditto (and I've made this point before) 3 tph off peak London Manchester, would 2 not suffice? Agree about XC though - the frequency is about right, the trains just need to be twice the length! (though even as a Southampton resident I would terminate all Newcastles at Reading to de-congest the SW main line, and make all the Bournemouth Manchesters 12 coaches!)

Train/bus integration is a big problem. Because of our privatised and often unregulated system, trains and buses do not integrate well with one another unless they're under control of an authority (such as TfL) or run by the same company. Good examples of journeys for which mixed-mode is the only way are Southampton-Swanage or Southampton-Midhurst. Possible on public transport but connections are not necessarily good, and critically, it's _expensive_ with no through ticketing. In an ideal system (admittedly one which would involve the dirty and out-of-fashion 10-letter R word) should be possible to get one multi-modal ticket, with the price being proportional to the distance (e.g. SOU-Chichester=30 miles, SOU-Midhurst via Chichester 42 miles, therefore SOU-Midhurst return should be around 1.4*SOU-Chichester return price).

I'd also consider faster bus services for ex-Beeching routes or routes which never had a railway (in addition to the existing slow 'all-stops' buses) which are more likely to attract longer-distance multimodal travel. These would only stop at village or town centres along the route and would essentially be 'buses operating as if they were trains'. To take the above two examples: there could be a dedicated Wareham-Swanage 'fast' bus calling only at Stoborough village, Corfe village, Harmans Cross village and Swanage; or a Chichester-Haslemere route calling only at Lavant village, West Dean village, Singleton village, Cocking village, Midhurst and Fernhurst village.

In much of continental western Europe from the Low Countries through Germany to Switzerland and Austria there seems to be much more of an integrated transport ethos. This is what we need.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

squizzler

Established Member
Going back to the title of the thread, the premise that rail - supposedly with only 2% of trips nationally - is irrelevant in the broader scheme of things makes no sense at an intuitive level. If rail was not of great national significance then there would not be serious calls to nationalise them all - something that can only be justified for the most strategic assets.

I was not concerned with the merits with different types of ownership. The point I was trying to make was that the case for national ownership (or regulation full stop) is not strong for a business with such a low market share. Look at other things:

The case for nationalising Google or Facebook is much stronger because the proportion of people who use these services per web visit is going to be greater than 2% (and also much more than 10% of total web browsing time). The access to accurate, unbiased information via these services is much more important to the function of our democratic society than railways are to our economy.

Of course everybody uses water and electric, and with the need to source these essentials more sustainably than at present meaning big investments are required, ownership by the people is easy to justify.

Need a transport example? The nationalisation of road haulage is more justifiable than that of railways because road haulage has a much greater relevance to the national economy. The inefficiencies of empty lorries driving around, or lorries containing practically the same cargo passing each other in different directions could be eliminated by clever people doing the dispatching, maybe helped by computers containing a cunning algorithm or two. And eliminating direct competition between haulage firms would reduce the incentive to take risks: lorries kill a disproportionately large number of other road users compared to other vehicle types.

I'd say the same about delivery firms with all their vans: nationalise the lot and get rid of duplication and a lot of congestion would go at the same time. Charge a flat delivery fee to all internet firms and that would make the playing field more level between big established outfits and smaller entrants into the market.

None of the above is many to comment on the relative efficiency of private versus public enterprise. I do think I show how rail, with its small market share compared to my examples, would be low down on the "bang per buck" of things that should be owned by the people.

Of healthcare...but then by contrast their national passenger rail system and pretty much all local rail and bus operation is completely publically owned and operated.

It's funny how basically no country at all has deliberately[1] followed our bus model, yet for some reason people often quote it as actually being good.

[1] Obviously there are some countries where there is no regulation because they've got bigger things to worry about.

That is interesting, I never really though about US rail and bus, they never seem to be big things over there. And I thought the size and layout of the country does not lend itself to long distance rail.

I'm guessing you are not a fan of our bus system? If so, I agree, I don't know why people would think it a good model. My village has a single return bus trip in a week(last time i checked, it was 2 when I moved in.). Obviously I have never used it, as it is basically useless. Then there are the buses in Cambridge, where you cannot buy a ticket that covers both operators, so you are restricted. You can use a plusbus ticket on both, but the range of that is limited, so you can't go out of the city. And then they are very slow on the city streets, so never run to time. Then there is the new Cambridge North station, that has had its bus service constantly reduced, due to lack of demand. How they expect demand to grow when they show no problem with cutting the service I don't know.

There is a lot to unpack there, but an unregulated bus system results in buses only being used by those with either no choice, or a concessionary pass, so something needs to be done to make it work better for everyone. Through ticketing has been mentioned on this thread, and that is a start, at least. We need a public transport system that is considered a valid and useful service to everyone, outside of the big cities, which always strike me as reasonable when I visit.

All this means that I have to drive to get to the station. I have walked it, but it is 5 miles, so I can only do that if I have plenty of time, and not much luggage. I have also cycled, which is fine for a day trip, but since my bike insurance will only cover the bike parked at the station for 24 hours, if I am going away I have to take the bike with me, which causes all sorts of trouble on the trains. I have also done this, but it is only useful in some situations. I can park at the station, but if you go away for a week then the parking charge is as much as the train ticket. Once all this is taken into account, it is cheaper to drive all the way, and more flexible.

I got rid of my car for a while, after working out I could manage without it, and the total cost of car ownership could be put towards train fares, and bus tickets, and it could work out cheaper for me. But now I am in a relationship, combined public transport costs have now increased, and cycling is less of an option, so the car was back, and now train travel is much less attractive. That's a shame, I always enjoyed travelling by train, but the public transport system in this country does not work for me, and I suspect, a lot of people.

I was not concerned with the merits with different types of ownership. The point I was trying to make was that the case for national ownership (or regulation full stop) is not strong for a business with such a low market share. Look at other things:

The case for nationalising Google or Facebook is much stronger because the proportion of people who use these services per web visit is going to be greater than 2% (and also much more than 10% of total web browsing time). The access to accurate, unbiased information via these services is much more important to the function of our democratic society than railways are to our economy.

Of course everybody uses water and electric, and with the need to source these essentials more sustainably than at present meaning big investments are required, ownership by the people is easy to justify.

Need a transport example? The nationalisation of road haulage is more justifiable than that of railways because road haulage has a much greater relevance to the national economy. The inefficiencies of empty lorries driving around, or lorries containing practically the same cargo passing each other in different directions could be eliminated by clever people doing the dispatching, maybe helped by computers containing a cunning algorithm or two. And eliminating direct competition between haulage firms would reduce the incentive to take risks: lorries kill a disproportionately large number of other road users compared to other vehicle types.

I'd say the same about delivery firms with all their vans: nationalise the lot and get rid of duplication and a lot of congestion would go at the same time. Charge a flat delivery fee to all internet firms and that would make the playing field more level between big established outfits and smaller entrants into the market.

None of the above is many to comment on the relative efficiency of private versus public enterprise. I do think I show how rail, with its small market share compared to my examples, would be low down on the "bang per buck" of things that should be owned by the people.

I'm not sure about this view. Some of it is interesting, nationalising Facebook or Google never occurred to me, but I can see the point, having monopolies of communication and information accountable to no-one but the shareholders is maybe dangerous, but the railways are becoming more strategically important, and if we want to take action on over-crowding and climate change, can only get more so.

Water, I am with you, but electric always struck me as privatisation working, since the grid is centrally controlled, and regulated, but I can buy my power from whoever I want, so competition works. Although I would have no problem with it being nationalised.

Road haulage seems the one that is unnecessary, that is one where demand is very high, and there are lots of companies, so any inefficiencies should be outweighed by competition. And I don't think competition is to blame from the road deaths due to lorries, that would seem to be the natural result of the larger vehicles, and humans driving mostly invulnerable machines not being worried about themselves, so not taking as much care.

Delivery services are trickier, I can see your point, and maybe the last mile delivery would work better nationalised. I always struck me as a shame the Royal Mail has been allowed to fall to where it currently is. But it always had problems, with limits on parcel size, and reliability. But it was designed for another age, perhaps nationalised again it could be made better.

HowardGWR

Established Member
There are more relevant figures than this 2% available on the ONS site, so one is surprised if Mr Williams made this point. About 16% of long distance journeys (50 kms plus) are made by rail. Car or van account for 79% of these. At first, the rail figure may not look particularly impressive, but think on. How many of the 16% could not have used car or van because a) they don't have one, b) can't drive one? The latter category could contain any number of sub-categories such 1) physically handicapped, 2) under age, 3) disqualified, 4) mentally handicapped, (including fear of roads, not unreasonable as you have a one in 12 chance of having a serious road traffic collision in your lifetime, a horse at 12:1 is a good bet in the Grand National) 5) foreign visitors going to /from airport..................and so on and so on.
These categories may form only some of the 16% but they are 100% of those who have to use rail and / or coach for those journeys. Thus rail is easily identified by this means as a national asset of the highest importance. The part of the 16% who are optionally using rail are to be seen as friends of the environment so are equally important to national policy.

The case made I hope. Rail is of significant national importance to society, the environment and the economy.
........and I didn't even mention London and big city commuting.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Delivery services are trickier, I can see your point, and maybe the last mile delivery would work better nationalised. I always struck me as a shame the Royal Mail has been allowed to fall to where it currently is. But it always had problems, with limits on parcel size, and reliability. But it was designed for another age, perhaps nationalised again it could be made better.

I'm not convinced. The Royal Mail as a nationalised entity was about letter delivery when letter delivery was the backbone of everything "bureaucratic" (I don't mean that in a bad way, just that day to day business used to be conducted by post). That is near enough all online now. So I really don't see much of a future for it - it's basically just a courier (and deliverer of unwanted rubbish to keep it economically viable), and a third-rate one at that.

TBH, within 10 years it will put itself out of its misery. That is why I suspect it was privatised - as a private company it can go out of business, as a public organisation there'd be strikes and other action until the point they kept it going despite it increasingly serving no purpose.

In the meantime, I think it could quite viably go down to one collection and delivery per week. It doesn't after all matter if the postcard Old Granny Smith sent you from her week in Frinton arrives after she gets back, it's just the thought that counts.

I'm not convinced. The Royal Mail as a nationalised entity was about letter delivery when letter delivery was the backbone of everything "bureaucratic" (I don't mean that in a bad way, just that day to day business used to be conducted by post). That is near enough all online now. So I really don't see much of a future for it - it's basically just a courier (and deliverer of unwanted rubbish to keep it economically viable), and a third-rate one at that.

TBH, within 10 years it will put itself out of its misery. That is why I suspect it was privatised - as a private company it can go out of business, as a public organisation there'd be strikes and other action until the point they kept it going despite it increasingly serving no purpose.

In the meantime, I think it could quite viably go down to one collection and delivery per week. It doesn't after all matter if the postcard Old Granny Smith sent you from her week in Frinton arrives after she gets back, it's just the thought that counts.

I see your point, that's why I said it was from another age. Letting it die however might be a problem. Not much comes by post, but some of it is essential, and I think it might be made more useful and profitable by forcing internet deliveries to use it for the final delivery, as squizzler said., and it might have other benefits to smaller internet companies. But, as I said, tricky.

Despite some of my more passionate arguments on here, I am not in favour of nationalising everything, and going all communist, but I find the constant refrain of capitalist free markets being the best solution to everything annoying. Government control of some things is important, and as HowardGWR said, I think rail is one of those things.

coppercapped

Established Member
Because my main point was the difference between the extreme positions, and the US is extreme capitilism. I know that most of western Europe uses a different system. I have never experienced it, but I have family living in Germany, and they have never had problems, so I assume it does work well. But I think the key phrase you used was closely regulated. To bring this back on topic, that is what seems to be missing in our rail network. I have read your longer post, and I would like some time to think it through, as I admit to not knowing much about the inner workings of the system, but isn't that a massive part of the problem? The public does not understand how it all works, and no-one seems to take responsibility for it as a whole, so to us it looks like a free for all where the private companies are making profit by giving a crap service, and bailing out when they realise they messed up.
People aren't worried about the inner workings of, say, the mobile phone networks which arguably affect more people on a day to day basis than the railways. Does the public understand the difference between a Mobile Network Operator or a Mobile Virtual Network Operator or the differences between 2G, 3G, 4G and Long Term Evolution? Do they need to as long as it works? Do you need to know the way the inner workings of the automatic gearbox in your car function?

Government has always been involved with railways since the first canal and railways Acts allowed companies to compulsorily purchase land. Governments are also deeply involved with mobile telecoms - they set the ground rules such as frequency allocation and auction spectrum to potential purchasers. In neither case is there is need for the general public to understand the ownership or organisational structure. Only if the quality of the service being offered are questions asked as was the case with the overloaded analogue mobile networks just before they were replaced by GSM and is the case now with the railways where in some areas demand exceeds supply.

To return to my original point about the role of the DfT's involvement in railways. One of the reasons that the mobile networks work well is that Government takes no part in their operation - as I said, it sets the ground rules, for example frequency allocation, planning rules about transmitter/receiver mast installation and the coverage (geographical or percentage of the population or both) which the licence holder has to achieve during the lifetime of the licence. The technology is international - Government has little or no influence on the way it develops - and, as I wrote, the DTI, now the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, does not get involved any operational details at all and, crucially, it does not own the infrastructure.

The DfT could well take a leaf out of the DfBERR's book. It should set the global funding level for the industry, possibly set some other criteria, for example the overall fuel mix or disability provision, and let the industry do the rest. Of course it won't, or can't, because it owns Network Rail...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I see your point, that's why I said it was from another age. Letting it die however might be a problem. Not much comes by post, but some of it is essential

Almost none of it is. That which is time-critical and essential (e.g. a new passport) can be delivered by a premium courier, or by document delivery specialist couriers like DX.

I think it might be made more useful and profitable by forcing internet deliveries to use it for the final delivery, as squizzler said., and it might have other benefits to smaller internet companies

Smaller companies can equally well use couriers; it's easy to send something by courier, starting online, and for anything bigger than a post-box they have more drop-off points with better opening hours now. And if they forced everyone to use it, that means there will be no innovation - for instance, it isn't the Royal Mail who pioneered one-hour delivery slots, courier tracking and pickup shops - it was somewhere between DPD and Doddle. (Yes, I know Doddle was Network Rail, but it was a commercial part of the organisation).

Despite some of my more passionate arguments on here, I am not in favour of nationalising everything, and going all communist, but I find the constant refrain of capitalist free markets being the best solution to everything annoying. Government control of some things is important, and as HowardGWR said, I think rail is one of those things.

I think anything requiring of subsidy. He who pay the piper needs to call the tune, and if that's the taxpayer it needs safeguards etc controlled by the taxpayer.

underbank

Established Member

The problem with RM was it's antiquated working practices, which arguably would have been even worse had it been nationalised. Because it didn't move with the times, it allowed all these private courier/small delivery firms to take market share, especially when RM was in an enviable position that could have easily taken far more of internet shopping deliveries. It's had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world, with simple things that it's competitors were doing long before, such as tracking of deliveries - for far too long, RM only provided signed for and special delivery. RM still doesn't deliver on Sundays and has a very short daily delivery slot around lunchtime for lots of people. When you look at what their competitors offer, such as online maps showing location of delivery van, estimated delivery time, and number of deliveries before you, RM have a long way to go.

Nationalised industries and industries that used to be nationalised seem very slow to adapt to market change and slow to innovate.

My answer is also a bit of an essay!

Your first sentence is correct, but most of the rest of the post is quite wide of the mark.
Having read through your message, I can see some of the problems with my initial post, but I take issue with the whole thing being wide of the mark, I think there are still some valid points.

The current system does NOT allow TOCs to give up franchises without cost to them as you imply. As part of the franchise contract the TOC, or rather its holding company, has to post a performance bond which is forfeitable if the TOC defaults within the term of the franchise. The bond amounts to some £50 to £70 million and is there to enable the DfT to select a new operator without a call on the public purse and to dissuade the incumbent to give up too easily. It is sized to hurt as Stagecoach has just found out. There is also a season ticket bond which is there to ensure that any new operator gets the income from the tickets which have already been sold and are still valid at the time the defaulting TOC went belly up.

There has to be a very persuasive reason for a TOC to default on its contract and in twenty four years only three have done so, one of which was because the TOC’s parent company got into financial difficulties and broke its banking covenants. Two more were terminated by the Strategic Rail Authority.

Because in the early-1990s it was considered that the railway system would continue to require state funding the franchising system was designed to permit state funding for socially necessary services to be passed to private companies in a transparent manner. To keep the incumbent honest the franchises were for a limited time, generally around seven years, after which a new competition was to be held. The subsidy paid by the Government covered the cost of operating loss-making routes and allowed the TOC to make a small profit, generally five per cent or so, on its turnover. The bids for the franchises included the effect of cross-subsidisation between the routes so there was no question of a TOC abandoning a loss-making route as the route structure was part of the franchise contract.

This is interesting, I never knew the details of how it worked, but I suspect I am not the only one. It seems to be a complex system, that might work, if managed correctly, but it is not obvious to the general public, who see trains with company's names on them giving them bad service, and then walking away and complaining about the contract they signed. The public also know that taxes do fund rail, at least to some extent, so the mismatch irks. That was why I brought up the London model, as by branding the trains as a public service, taking the ticket receipts, and paying a company to operate them, it means TfL are taking responsibility for the service, while allowing a private company to make a profit and do what it does best.

The competition that you say does not occur on rail between the TOCs was never intended to happen except in some borderline cases - and in the case of Open Access operators - as it was realised as the ‘privatised’ structure was evolving that on-rail competition would not, and could not, work because of the limitations of the railways’ infrastructure and the methods and scheduling of train operation. This is all described in the book “All Change. British Railway Privatisation” edited by Freeman and Shaw and published by McGraw-Hill in 2000.

I know that can never happen really, that's kind of my point, we as end users cannot use our market power to affect the industry, so we rely on government to do it for us. That book looks interesting, it doesn't seem to be in any of my local library networks, I'll consider buying it, but it's not cheap.

The requirements on the bidders for franchises has changed several times since 1995 as have the bodies overseeing the process and awarding the contracts. The least competent has to be the DfT which as early as 2012 completely screwed up the award of the West Coast franchise. The concept of awarding franchises to operate chunks of railway is still valid, but the method by which the DfT selects a winner is badly broken. It now costs northwards of £10million to prepare a bid - win or lose. It’s not surprising that the main runners are foreign railway operators with deep pockets and so few bids per franchise are now submitted - the DfT has frightened off most of the UK-based commercial companies.

That does seem to be the case, but it seems upsetting that the government is messing up, as you say, but then saying we messed up, therefore it is impossible for a government to do this, therefore the government cannot be allowed to do it. If anyone is capable of running it correctly, there is no reason a government can't, if they commit to doing it, and hire the right people. The problem seems to be ideology, buy refusing to believe they can, they refuse to try, and take the responsibility. Since you agree that the rail network as a whole cannot be run at a profit, some regulation is required, so the unprofitable bits, that are nevertheless considered important can still operate.

So I would dispute your assertion that the lie of privatisation has been exposed. The reality is that the DfT has over the years accrued more and more decision-making power to itself - as civil servants can’t resist fiddling - and the people who become civil servants and the organisational structure within which, and the incentives to which, they work are not designed to operate an industry. The Civil Service’s main product is paper: strategy papers, discussion papers, memos, white papers, bills…none of which demands an answer within the day to ensure that timetables can be prepared on time.

The fundamental problem with the rail industry at the moment is the Department for Transport. It is nothing to do with private or public ownership. Ownership is not the issue - it’s whether the incentives (by which I do not mean money only) presented to the direction and management of the industry are aligned with the requirements of the industry’s customers. Clearly at the moment they are not - and the incentives at the moment are set by the DfT in, among others, the details of the franchise agreements and its management of Network Rail.

What I consider the fundamental lie of privatisation, is that private industry is always better that government control. I think that it is exposed, private industry is having problems with the rail network, and if we just stopped regulating it completely, we would lose more lines, and the network would suffer. Privatisation is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is not necessarily a good thing either. Ideologues on both sides cause a lot of the trouble. As a country, we have to decide which way we want to go with each case. Full nationalisation might not be the best alternative, but I believe washing our hands of the whole thing is a bad idea. As mentioned in another post on this thread, the postal service has been privatised, and it seems to be getting worse and worse. Maybe it's time for it to die, but a private company does not seem to be making it better.

To your point about Railtrack. It never received any Government money directly until the very end of its existence; until then its income was made up of the various access charges paid by the TOCs. The structure chosen to privatise the infrastructure left Railtrack without any direct method of controlling the infrastructure maintenance - thus controlling its costs or concentrating maintenance and renewals where they were most needed - or initiating enhancements. In any event the access charges were set at a level to run a ‘steady state’ railway with no plans to add much in the way of extra capacity - although privatisation was expected to lead to an increase in traffic the size of the increase was unanticipated. Taken together this meant that after a few years it found itself between a rock and a hard place aided and abetted by a management that saw itself as running a thrusting private enterprise company but which in reality was a regulated utility. And as we all know - it all ended in tears.

Even if they received no money from the government while they were operating, but how much did they pay the government for the assets they started with? I doubt it was full market value, for a network so vast, and very difficult to build from scratch, so I would say they got some value there.

I am taking everything you said in, it is a complex issue, but the network is something I don't believe should be out of control of the government. The government owns the main road network, and councils own the local road network, so I think it right that government at some level should own the rail network, and because access to the rail network is much more complicated than access to the roads(where you can get away with requiring MOT's, insurance and licenses and leaving it at that), they have to take a much more hands on approach to the operation of the services. I believe you in that the DfT is messing up a lot, but I refuse to believe that they are incapable to doing the job right, if that is what is needed. Current high level civil servants might not be ideal for the job, but there are many out there that could do it, I suspect there are some on these forums who work at that sort of level, and could do it.

At the end of the day, I want a rail network that allows us all to travel easily and cheaply, to try and get more people out of cars and planes, so we don't pollute as much, or require so much land to be paved over for motorways, and the government is a essential part of that. Some compromise can be reached, but as soon as the government gives up, the people lose control of an asset that many rely on, and should be a part of the future of our country in an age where we have to take active care of our world.

Almost none of it is. That which is time-critical and essential (e.g. a new passport) can be delivered by a premium courier, or by document delivery specialist couriers like DX.

Smaller companies can equally well use couriers; it's easy to send something by courier, starting online, and for anything bigger than a post-box they have more drop-off points with better opening hours now. And if they forced everyone to use it, that means there will be no innovation - for instance, it isn't the Royal Mail who pioneered one-hour delivery slots, courier tracking and pickup shops - it was somewhere between DPD and Doddle. (Yes, I know Doddle was Network Rail, but it was a commercial part of the organisation).

I think anything requiring of subsidy. He who pay the piper needs to call the tune, and if that's the taxpayer it needs safeguards etc controlled by the taxpayer.

As, I said, tricky. I have no answers. But I am behind you on the last comment 100%.

People aren't worried about the inner workings of, say, the mobile phone networks which arguably affect more people on a day to day basis than the railways. Does the public understand the difference between a Mobile Network Operator or a Mobile Virtual Network Operator or the differences between 2G, 3G, 4G and Long Term Evolution? Do they need to as long as it works? Do you need to know the way the inner workings of the automatic gearbox in your car function?

Government has always been involved with railways since the first canal and railways Acts allowed companies to compulsorily purchase land. Governments are also deeply involved with mobile telecoms - they set the ground rules such as frequency allocation and auction spectrum to potential purchasers. In neither case is there is need for the general public to understand the ownership or organisational structure. Only if the quality of the service being offered are questions asked as was the case with the overloaded analogue mobile networks just before they were replaced by GSM and is the case now with the railways where in some areas demand exceeds supply.

To return to my original point about the role of the DfT's involvement in railways. One of the reasons that the mobile networks work well is that Government takes no part in their operation - as I said, it sets the ground rules, for example frequency allocation, planning rules about transmitter/receiver mast installation and the coverage (geographical or percentage of the population or both) which the licence holder has to achieve during the lifetime of the licence. The technology is international - Government has little or no influence on the way it develops - and, as I wrote, the DTI, now the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, does not get involved any operational details at all and, crucially, it does not own the infrastructure.

The DfT could well take a leaf out of the DfBERR's book. It should set the global funding level for the industry, possibly set some other criteria, for example the overall fuel mix or disability provision, and let the industry do the rest. Of course it won't, or can't, because it owns Network Rail...
I would argue that the reason the mobile networks work well is that I can choose from different networks to call my family, in a way that I can't choose a different rail company to take me to visit them.

The problem with RM was it's antiquated working practices, which arguably would have been even worse had it been nationalised. Because it didn't move with the times, it allowed all these private courier/small delivery firms to take market share, especially when RM was in an enviable position that could have easily taken far more of internet shopping deliveries. It's had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world, with simple things that it's competitors were doing long before, such as tracking of deliveries - for far too long, RM only provided signed for and special delivery. RM still doesn't deliver on Sundays and has a very short daily delivery slot around lunchtime for lots of people. When you look at what their competitors offer, such as online maps showing location of delivery van, estimated delivery time, and number of deliveries before you, RM have a long way to go.

Nationalised industries and industries that used to be nationalised seem very slow to adapt to market change and slow to innovate.

But isn't that the fault of the government, not the industry themselves? It's all down to what is considered important enough to think about.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Is it any surprise that low proportions of journeys are taken by rail when on the whole train are designed purely for commuters. Just look at the GW IET stock. Long distance trains but interiors for the Reading commuter belt. Travelling by train isn’t comfortable any longer.

Ken H

On Moderation
Also OT, but who do you mean is 'not insured'. If you as a Brit go to the continent on holiday or a visit without an EHIC, available free of charge from the Department of Health, of course you are not covered. But you can pay the doctor or hospital and claim the money back later. If you are working anywhere in the EU it is a legal requirement both to have health insurance and to pay into a pension fund. The health insurance may not necessarily be state run but the pension funds, in the cases I know about, are state run.
EHIC is not for those who go to live there. its for travellers. And EHIC only coves you for what you would get as a local. In some countries that is way below NHS provision. And EHIC does not cover repatriation in case of a severe illness/injury, nor does it cover repatriation of a dead body. Both can be massive costs.

coppercapped

Established Member
EHIC is not for those who go to live there. its for travellers.
Isn't that what I wrote?
And EHIC only coves you for what you would get as a local. In some countries that is way below NHS provision. And EHIC does not cover repatriation in case of a severe illness/injury, nor does it cover repatriation of a dead body. Both can be massive costs.
Yes, what else did you expect? Preferential treatment? The whole point of the EHIC is that one gets the basic cover as offered to the local population.
And in the case of severe illness or injury I think I would probably prefer to be treated in Belgium, France or Germany than here. The facilities are often newer and they have access to a wider range of drugs and treatments than NICE permits the NHS to use.
If one is worried about the consequential costs of illness or an accident then one should take out travel insurance. But this is equally true for a Frenchman visiting Poland as it is for a Brit holidaying in Spain.

quantinghome

Established Member
I was not concerned with the merits with different types of ownership. The point I was trying to make was that the case for national ownership (or regulation full stop) is not strong for a business with such a low market share.

I don't think market share has much to do with the decision to nationalise or not. As a counter-example, rural minor roads are only used by 14% of traffic, but are 54% of the road network. But we'd never privatise them because there's no profit to be made and they would close.

The point is that railways are very good at a very particular type of journey - journeys into and around larger cities, and long distance travel. While rail has a relatively low overall market share for business and commuting (although still 20% by distance), I would imagine the market share for rail between (say) Leeds and London or Newcastle and London would be very high. Deciding on ownership and management should be on the basis of which is most suitable to allow the railway to fulfil this function. Most countries have found national ownership to work best - for passenger railways. By contrast freight railways seem to get along fine in private hands. It's horses for courses.

Killingworth

Established Member
We're tending to overlook the quantity of freight that does, or doesn't, travel by rail in the UK. Japan has a higher preponderance of passenger traffic over freight, but in the US freight rules the rails. As passengers we may curse being blocked by a freight service, but many of the lines we use today were designed and built for freight. The role reversal is one of the causes of our current difficulties. Very many of our currently operated lines are the remnants of a much larger network greatly reduced since nationalisation.

That network was developed from tramways used to transport coal from pits to riverside staithes. It developed to transport coal in bulk from collieries to industrial heartlands, both for industry and domestic fires. Almost every station had a goods yard where a weekly goods train dropped off a few wagons of coal for further distribution by road.

We're still using many of those tracks, particularly in the old mining areas. Speculative lines came later designed more to capture passenger traffic, but what's left today is not what we'd have retained if we'd known how society was to evolve. All those goods yards sold off that would have made much better park and ride facilities. The old tracks lifted, junctions simplified, land sold off for building beside the tracks where we need extra tracks where they now stand.

We are where we are. It's clear that capacity is needed and has to come from longer trains, travelling closer together, and keeping to timetable as the norm. Public preference for one through train rather than risking a change, or changes, is based on perceived unreliability of connections. If all trains ran to time that issue would be reduced.

There is pent up further demand. I spoke to a doctor recently. He lives in Sheffield but now works in Manchester. Back in November he was booked in first class, however his coach didn't exist - 3 coaches instead of 6. He spent the journey sitting on the floor, laptop on his knee. It happened again. Formerly a regular rail commuter he's driven every day since.

More seats will bring more passengers. Trains running to time, every day will bring more use. More car parking in many places will bring more cars and more passengers. Frequency of services help, but lack of an earlier or later train may mean two journeys aren't booked, outward and return. Speed may come quite low on the list until these factors are put right.

coppercapped

Established Member
This is interesting, I never knew the details of how it worked, but I suspect I am not the only one. It seems to be a complex system, that might work, if managed correctly, but it is not obvious to the general public, who see trains with company's names on them giving them bad service, and then walking away and complaining about the contract they signed. The public also know that taxes do fund rail, at least to some extent, so the mismatch irks. That was why I brought up the London model, as by branding the trains as a public service, taking the ticket receipts, and paying a company to operate them, it means TfL are taking responsibility for the service, while allowing a private company to make a profit and do what it does best.
The way the railway business is structured is in the public domain. There have been books, magazine articles, academic studies, reviews - the McNulty report, the Shaw report, the Gibbs report, reports from the National Audit Office, the erstwhile Competitions and Mergers Authority and a multitude of others - newspaper articles and so on, over the years. There is no excuse whatsoever for claiming ignorance.
SNIP If anyone is capable of running it correctly, there is no reason a government can't, if they commit to doing it, and hire the right people. The problem seems to be ideology, buy refusing to believe they can, they refuse to try, and take the responsibility. Since you agree that the rail network as a whole cannot be run at a profit, some regulation is required, so the unprofitable bits, that are nevertheless considered important can still operate.
Theoretically there is no reason for the Government not to be able to run the railways, or indeed any other industry. Except that experience shows that it is manifestly incapable of doing so, one of the reasons being that it is incapable of supplying the amounts of money needed for investment in these industries. British Airways was nationalised, but when the time came for it to buy a fleet of Boeing 747s the Treasury could not afford it. Similarly with the water, electricity and gas industries - they required huge amounts of capital for their modernisation to meet EU health and safety regulations which the Government could not afford. That their sale also netted cash for the Government was a happy by-product.

The issue is also not about 'hiring the right people'. The issue is giving the people clear and unambiguous incentives to achieve the desired targets.
A private company has a simple purpose. It is there to make money for its shareholders or, in some rare cases, deliver to shareholders some other defined aim. For example, Cadbury was privately held and had objectives other than just making a profit although, of course, it was only by making a profit that it could fulfil its philanthropic ambitions. Nationalised businesses are more complex in that they often have to meet political, social and economic targets at the same time - and sometimes these are mutually incompatible. Management is pulled in different directions at the same time and the results are unsatisfactory for all the participants.

I also did not agree that the rail network as a whole cannot be run at a profit. For the last five or six years on a day-to-day basis the railway just about covers its costs, as has been pointed out by many posters. The Government grants to Network Rail cover the interest on its accumulated debt (some £30billion) and the rest is spent on capacity increases and other enhancements. I am certainly in the camp that sees the value of running a transport service that helps as many people as possible and I support the concept of subsidy for socially necessary services. This does not mean that the subsidy should open-ended - the train service should be operated as economically as possible and the TOC should encourage as many people as possible to use the trains.

What I consider the fundamental lie of privatisation, is that private industry is always better that government control. I think that it is exposed, private industry is having problems with the rail network, and if we just stopped regulating it completely, we would lose more lines, and the network would suffer. SNIP
Proponents of the market economy do not claim that private industry is always better than Government control. That claim is made by the proponents of Government control who wish to denigrate the market economy. Proponents of the market economy suggest that if at all possible a good or service should be supplied by the private sector - only those things which are for the benefit of the people as a whole and which cannot be supplied by a company at a profit should be supplied by the state.
What you don't seem to be able to understand is that there is NO market economy present in the railway system as it stands. The system is entirely and completely a creature of the DfT. The DfT sets NR's funding and spend rate and prioritises its projects. It also sets the rules for the TOCs, it defines train frequencies, first and last trains, the number of seats to be offered, the type of rolling stock it can use, the growth rate of the premiums its expects and similarly the subsidy profile on the basis of calculations which could have been made five or more years earlier when the world may have looked very different. It is also incapable of checking whether the completion dates of various works it expects from NR are compatible with those it sets the TOCs.
Private industry IS having problems with the rail network - but that is because the incentives offered by the DfT are wrong, inadequate and sometimes mutually incompatible. That ANY trains run is miraculous - and is only possible by the dedication of the railwaymen and women on the ground. The 'Board of Directors' of the business should resign en masse, immediately.
Even if they received no money from the government while they were operating, but how much did they pay the government for the assets they started with? I doubt it was full market value, for a network so vast, and very difficult to build from scratch, so I would say they got some value there.
You are obviously unaware of the way that Railtrack was set up. It was not a trade sale. Railtrack was initially formed as a division of BR in April 1993 with Robert Horton as Chairman designate and John Edmonds as Chief Executive designate. The next few months were taken up with defining its organisation and identifying what was to be vested in Railtrack and what was to remain with BR. The Government set the ground rules that the freehold of stations, yards, depots and all the infrastructure itself should transfer to Railtrack who in turn would lease back certain assets to the new operating companies. All non-operational land remained with BR to avoid any possibility of Railtrack making windfall profits on land sales, such sales had marred earlier privatisations.
It was not originally intended to float Railtrack but after unremitting pressure from Robert Horton the Government agreed in July 1995 to float the company in 1996. Again the reasoning was that Government company investment funds would be hard to come by - as Horton had experienced in his time with BR when the Treasury often changed BR's funding framework sometimes at very short notice. To get the maximum value from the sale for the Government the debt and equity had to be carefully balanced, it being essential to leave debt on Railtrack's accounts. At the time BR had negative net worth (it required subsidies to stay in business) and Railtrack had a debt of £2,044 million - essentially that run up by BR - and the Government wrote off £1,459 million leaving Railtrack with an initial debt of £585 million.
Railtrack's flotation raised £1,900 million which almost covered BR's accumulated debt. So Railtrack was most certainly not given away.

I am taking everything you said in, it is a complex issue, but the network is something I don't believe should be out of control of the government. The government owns the main road network, and councils own the local road network, so I think it right that government at some level should own the rail network, and because access to the rail network is much more complicated than access to the roads(where you can get away with requiring MOT's, insurance and licenses and leaving it at that), they have to take a much more hands on approach to the operation of the services. I believe you in that the DfT is messing up a lot, but I refuse to believe that they are incapable to doing the job right, if that is what is needed. Current high level civil servants might not be ideal for the job, but there are many out there that could do it, I suspect there are some on these forums who work at that sort of level, and could do it.

At the end of the day, I want a rail network that allows us all to travel easily and cheaply, to try and get more people out of cars and planes, so we don't pollute as much, or require so much land to be paved over for motorways, and the government is a essential part of that. Some compromise can be reached, but as soon as the government gives up, the people lose control of an asset that many rely on, and should be a part of the future of our country in an age where we have to take active care of our world.
The number of things that the Government, any Government, has run well over the last 50 or more years can be counted on the fingers of one hand. At the risk of being facetious the last one I can think of was Operation Overlord. The specification to which the Brabazon was built didn't match the real world, Suez didn't go too well, the AEW Nimrod programme was a complete waste of money, the ORR (a creature of Government) got the electrification clearances wrong, the programme to build more nuclear power plants seems to be in some disarray, the introduction of Universal Credit didn't go too well either...

Nobody is suggesting the railways should be out of control of the government. This is a straw man argument - Network Rail is wholly owned by the state, the franchises are let by the Government. The railways (as I wrote earlier) have always been controlled or regulated by government. So are practically all activities in this or any other country - Government sets the ground rules in a way that are socially and politically acceptable and people, individuals and companies, live, love and play within them. Stepping outside the law invites penalties.

I would argue that the reason the mobile networks work well is that I can choose from different networks to call my family, in a way that I can't choose a different rail company to take me to visit them.
Yes, this is part of the reason. But, rest assured, if the Government was operating the mobile phone network there would only be one network. I hate to think what the quality of service would be...

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
We're tending to overlook the quantity of freight that does, or doesn't, travel by rail in the UK. Japan has a higher preponderance of passenger traffic over freight, but in the US freight rules the rails. As passengers we may curse being blocked by a freight service, but many of the lines we use today were designed and built for freight. The role reversal is one of the causes of our current difficulties. Very many of our currently operated lines are the remnants of a much larger network greatly reduced since nationalisation.

That network was developed from tramways used to transport coal from pits to riverside staithes. It developed to transport coal in bulk from collieries to industrial heartlands, both for industry and domestic fires. Almost every station had a goods yard where a weekly goods train dropped off a few wagons of coal for further distribution by road.

We're still using many of those tracks, particularly in the old mining areas. Speculative lines came later designed more to capture passenger traffic, but what's left today is not what we'd have retained if we'd known how society was to evolve. All those goods yards sold off that would have made much better park and ride facilities. The old tracks lifted, junctions simplified, land sold off for building beside the tracks where we need extra tracks where they now stand.

We are where we are. It's clear that capacity is needed and has to come from longer trains, travelling closer together, and keeping to timetable as the norm. Public preference for one through train rather than risking a change, or changes, is based on perceived unreliability of connections. If all trains ran to time that issue would be reduced.

There is pent up further demand. I spoke to a doctor recently. He lives in Sheffield but now works in Manchester. Back in November he was booked in first class, however his coach didn't exist - 3 coaches instead of 6. He spent the journey sitting on the floor, laptop on his knee. It happened again. Formerly a regular rail commuter he's driven every day since.

More seats will bring more passengers. Trains running to time, every day will bring more use. More car parking in many places will bring more cars and more passengers. Frequency of services help, but lack of an earlier or later train may mean two journeys aren't booked, outward and return. Speed may come quite low on the list until these factors are put right.

we need night trains on the busy routes. Even communter routes? Why not an hourly stopper overnight on lichfield -redditch/bromsgrove? manchester-blackpool?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The way the railway business is structured is in the public domain. There have been books, magazine articles, academic studies, reviews - the McNulty report, the Shaw report, the Gibbs report, reports from the National Audit Office, the erstwhile Competitions and Mergers Authority and a multitude of others - newspaper articles and so on, over the years. There is no excuse whatsoever for claiming ignorance.

Theoretically there is no reason for the Government not to be able to run the railways, or indeed any other industry. Except that experience shows that it is manifestly incapable of doing so, one of the reasons being that it is incapable of supplying the amounts of money needed for investment in these industries. British Airways was nationalised, but when the time came for it to buy a fleet of Boeing 747s the Treasury could not afford it. Similarly with the water, electricity and gas industries - they required huge amounts of capital for their modernisation to meet EU health and safety regulations which the Government could not afford. That their sale also netted cash for the Government was a happy by-product.

The issue is also not about 'hiring the right people'. The issue is giving the people clear and unambiguous incentives to achieve the desired targets.
A private company has a simple purpose. It is there to make money for its shareholders or, in some rare cases, deliver to shareholders some other defined aim. For example, Cadbury was privately held and had objectives other than just making a profit although, of course, it was only by making a profit that it could fulfil its philanthropic ambitions. Nationalised businesses are more complex in that they often have to meet political, social and economic targets at the same time - and sometimes these are mutually incompatible. Management is pulled in different directions at the same time and the results are unsatisfactory for all the participants.

I also did not agree that the rail network as a whole cannot be run at a profit. For the last five or six years on a day-to-day basis the railway just about covers its costs, as has been pointed out by many posters. The Government grants to Network Rail cover the interest on its accumulated debt (some £30billion) and the rest is spent on capacity increases and other enhancements. I am certainly in the camp that sees the value of running a transport service that helps as many people as possible and I support the concept of subsidy for socially necessary services. This does not mean that the subsidy should open-ended - the train service should be operated as economically as possible and the TOC should encourage as many people as possible to use the trains.

Proponents of the market economy do not claim that private industry is always better than Government control. That claim is made by the proponents of Government control who wish to denigrate the market economy. Proponents of the market economy suggest that if at all possible a good or service should be supplied by the private sector - only those things which are for the benefit of the people as a whole and which cannot be supplied by a company at a profit should be supplied by the state.
What you don't seem to be able to understand is that there is NO market economy present in the railway system as it stands. The system is entirely and completely a creature of the DfT. The DfT sets NR's funding and spend rate and prioritises its projects. It also sets the rules for the TOCs, it defines train frequencies, first and last trains, the number of seats to be offered, the type of rolling stock it can use, the growth rate of the premiums its expects and similarly the subsidy profile on the basis of calculations which could have been made five or more years earlier when the world may have looked very different. It is also incapable of checking whether the completion dates of various works it expects from NR are compatible with those it sets the TOCs.
Private industry IS having problems with the rail network - but that is because the incentives offered by the DfT are wrong, inadequate and sometimes mutually incompatible. That ANY trains run is miraculous - and is only possible by the dedication of the railwaymen and women on the ground. The 'Board of Directors' of the business should resign en masse, immediately.

You are obviously unaware of the way that Railtrack was set up. It was not a trade sale. Railtrack was initially formed as a division of BR in April 1993 with Robert Horton as Chairman designate and John Edmonds as Chief Executive designate. The next few months were taken up with defining its organisation and identifying what was to be vested in Railtrack and what was to remain with BR. The Government set the ground rules that the freehold of stations, yards, depots and all the infrastructure itself should transfer to Railtrack who in turn would lease back certain assets to the new operating companies. All non-operational land remained with BR to avoid any possibility of Railtrack making windfall profits on land sales, such sales had marred earlier privatisations.
It was not originally intended to float Railtrack but after unremitting pressure from Robert Horton the Government agreed in July 1995 to float the company in 1996. Again the reasoning was that Government company investment funds would be hard to come by - as Horton had experienced in his time with BR when the Treasury often changed BR's funding framework sometimes at very short notice. To get the maximum value from the sale for the Government the debt and equity had to be carefully balanced, it being essential to leave debt on Railtrack's accounts. At the time BR had negative net worth (it required subsidies to stay in business) and Railtrack had a debt of £2,044 million - essentially that run up by BR - and the Government wrote off £1,459 million leaving Railtrack with an initial debt of £585 million.
Railtrack's flotation raised £1,900 million which almost covered BR's accumulated debt. So Railtrack was most certainly not given away.

The number of things that the Government, any Government, has run well over the last 50 or more years can be counted on the fingers of one hand. At the risk of being facetious the last one I can think of was Operation Overlord. The specification to which the Brabazon was built didn't match the real world, Suez didn't go too well, the AEW Nimrod programme was a complete waste of money, the ORR (a creature of Government) got the electrification clearances wrong, the programme to build more nuclear power plants seems to be in some disarray, the introduction of Universal Credit didn't go too well either...

Nobody is suggesting the railways should be out of control of the government. This is a straw man argument - Network Rail is wholly owned by the state, the franchises are let by the Government. The railways (as I wrote earlier) have always been controlled or regulated by government. So are practically all activities in this or any other country - Government sets the ground rules in a way that are socially and politically acceptable and people, individuals and companies, live, love and play within them. Stepping outside the law invites penalties.

Yes, this is part of the reason. But, rest assured, if the Government was operating the mobile phone network there would only be one network. I hate to think what the quality of service would be...

State successes in managing and building things - the construction and maintenance of the M1, the operation of the V-force, the operation of the Royal Mail for most of the past fifty years.

There are plenty of things the state can and does well, quietly behind the scene, even if the proponents of privatising everything that isn't screwed down choose to ignore them.

Arguably those problems that arose with the nationalised railway over the last sixty years or so, did so because Governments were in denial that the railways were a public service, serving complex social and political needs, and prefered to pretend that they were merely a publically owned enterprise that had 'lost its way'.

Ken H

On Moderation
State successes in managing and building things - the construction and maintenance of the M1, the operation of the V-force, the operation of the Royal Mail for most of the past fifty years.

There are plenty of things the state can and does well, quietly behind the scene, even if the proponents of privatising everything that isn't screwed down choose to ignore them.

Arguably those problems that arose with the nationalised railway over the last sixty years or so, did so because Governments were in denial that the railways were a public service, serving complex social and political needs, and prefered to pretend that they were merely a publically owned enterprise that had 'lost its way'.

Stuff was privatised (I am talking gas, leccy, BT etc) because the government did not have the money that these industries needed to invest. The last decades of the 20th century was a time of worrying about the Public Spending Borrowing Requirement, PSBR. It was the theory that too high a PSBR would damage the economy, notably through higher interest rates.
So the utilities were privatised so their borrowing could be got off the governments books.
This was the reason for PFI, train leasing, and network rails borrowing being declared as private borrowing.
Only when the coalition took power in 2010 were network rails debts re-classified as government debt - which is what they really are. The forward liabilities of the UK government (PFI, pensions etc) are huge.

I am sure it all is, but I haven't read most of it, in common with the vast majority of people. Saying there is no excuse for not knowing things is quite a hurtful attack to make on someone who I hope is demonstrating a willingness to learn, and a reasonably open mind. I don't know what you do for a living, or how you know as much about all this stuff as you do, but my career is in a completely unrelated area, my degree is in chemistry, and my job is as a computer programmer for a research organization. My life is dominated by understanding how science is done, and how computers and databases can help in that. I read long legalese so that what I do is compliant with the laws that ensure that medical testing is reliable, and safe. I am understandably less than keen to spend my free time reading more of that sort of writings about something I am interested in for fun. I am however reading this forum, in an attempt to understand more, by interacting with others with the same interests, and I guess a large number of people within the industry. Ignorance is where everyone starts, and I try never to blame someone for being ignorant when they are trying to learn.

On top of all that, a lot of my thought these days is going into trying to understand what the hell is going on with Brexit. Now there's a complicated problem to solve.

As yorksrob has mentioned, there are cases in this country where the state has been more successful, and Highways England seems to be a reasonable example. The local road project for me, the A14 Huntingdon bypass, seems to be running well, and the Motorway network as a whole seems to be in reasonable shape, although there is always room for improvement. The idea that the Treasury cannot afford things seems to me to be political spin, the Treasury has access to the some of the cheapest borrowing possible, if anything they can afford it easier than private companies. How much the government should be taking responsibility for is the question.

This is my problem with privatization as a solution to all government problems. Publicly traded companies can legally only have one motive, and that is profit for shareholders, and private companies can have any number of motives, but they are private to the owners, and could be good for the country, but not necessarily. Cadbury had some good objectives(for its time, I think these days the level of control it tried to exert on its employees even outside of working hours would not be considered reasonable), but should we as a nation be beholden to the charity of private companies. A governments job is to hold society together, by forcing people more able to pay to help those less able. I think there are places where the profit motive cannot be trusted to give the best outcome for the community, and in those cases it must not be used. What you said about nationalized industries having to meet multiple targets is actually exactly what I want out of railways. I know sometimes they are mutually incompatible, but I think the arguments should be public and discussed, so we can choose the best way, not use that as an excuse to give up and fall back to the profit motive because it's too hard to get anything else done.

This appears to be a misunderstanding from these two sentences together:

I know nationalism isn't necessarily perfect, but the problem I have is that the rail network as a whole is not and will never be directly profitable, it has to be subsidised to work, produce economic benefits, and in some cases a social or environmental good, even at a cost.

Your first sentence is correct, but most of the rest of the post is quite wide of the mark.

Although your argument is not convincing, as servicing debts are part of the running costs. I cannot say I am living within my means if I have to get someone else to pay my mortgage for me.

It does appear that some do, especially in certain parts of the political landscape. We hear constant news of certain MP's saying we should sell of parts of the NHS, or sign trade deals that allow companies to sue government for passing laws that cause problem with there profits, whether or not those laws are needed to solve other problems. Politically, it does seem like some people will not be happy until government is stripped back until it is incapable of doing anything, which presumably will benefit those that can afford to live in a world where social safety nets and workers rights are non-existent. I know that is an extremist position, but it is one that seems to be becoming more likely by the day, due in part to the incompetence of the opposition(another political opinion that might cause arguments, although I suspect not here).

I do understand there is no market economy in the current system, that is my problem with the current system. But is there a way to introduce market forces into a system so integrated, and an essential service? I think here is the big disagreement between us. I don't think that the states only job is to provide things that can't be supplied by a company at a profit. It's job is also to prevent companies making profits by causing damage, either to society as a whole, or to less able, or less well off parts of it, those of us whose only way of influencing the way the world works is by voting. Or, in the modern world, to the environment. The natural state of the railways is, best case, a collection of monopolies, as there will always be parts of the network that cannot support competition, and even in areas that do have competition, the choice of the consumer is often not which company do I want, but what time do I want to arrive. I am willing to accept the DfT is the main problem, but how would you get rid of it, without removing the controls that allow the subsidies that you said you support?

So the government basically gave Railtrack £1,459 million before it could be sold, then it raised £1,900 million. Sounds like shareholders got a good deal to me.

As I mentioned above, the government can run some things reasonably, and it has in the past. Equally, private companies have had massive issues, i.e. Northern Rock and Carillion. I think competence is not a good argument one way or the other.

Another misunderstanding I think, this time my fault. I think I read your arguments that many or most of the problems the current system has are the fault of the DfT were an argument that DfT should be removed from the system entirely.

I agree on this point. The problem is when applying this thinking to the railways is that we do have just one rail network(with some exceptions for small lines with limited connections). I don't see any way of breaking up the rail network so it could work in any way comparably to the mobile networks.

Thinking through, I think we agree more than we disagree, and you have made me see a lot of the problems with more clarity. One thing that strikes me is how complicated the system is, and that means that a large majority of the population do not understand it. While it presumably has many benefits, it does allow everyone involved to publicly avoid responsibility, which does not seem to be in the best interests of the country. At the very least, I believe the government should take full responsibility for it. As I said before, private companies being part of the system is not a problem, at least for me, and I guess many others. One way of doing that would be to have one organization that takes all the ticket receipts, and pays the TOC's to operate the services, with performance targets, bonuses and penalties. I'm sure there are many other ways, but the current system doesn't work for a lot of people, and it is a difficult to work out who to talk to to solve it. There are lots of problems with the ticketing system, I could list them. But I understand that tickets are decided in most cases by some part of the government side of things, but I buy them off TOC's. Who do I complain to when there is a problem? A little bit of clarity would improve things no end.

You have said that the DfT is the cause of many of the problems, but you have also said that you are not in favour of getting rid of the controls. How would you fix things?

coppercapped

Established Member
I am sure it all is, but I haven't read most of it, in common with the vast majority of people. Saying there is no excuse for not knowing things is quite a hurtful attack to make on someone who I hope is demonstrating a willingness to learn, and a reasonably open mind. I don't know what you do for a living, or how you know as much about all this stuff as you do, but my career is in a completely unrelated area, my degree is in chemistry, and my job is as a computer programmer for a research organization. My life is dominated by understanding how science is done, and how computers and databases can help in that. I read long legalese so that what I do is compliant with the laws that ensure that medical testing is reliable, and safe. I am understandably less than keen to spend my free time reading more of that sort of writings about something I am interested in for fun. I am however reading this forum, in an attempt to understand more, by interacting with others with the same interests, and I guess a large number of people within the industry. Ignorance is where everyone starts, and I try never to blame someone for being ignorant when they are trying to learn.

On top of all that, a lot of my thought these days is going into trying to understand what the hell is going on with Brexit. Now there's a complicated problem to solve.
Firstly, I apologise for a badly phrased rant. You referred to the general public not being informed or understanding the current situation - my comment was aimed at them. It is clear to me that you are interested in the identifying and seeking solutions to the current real and perceived problems which is why I have tried to explain the background as I understand it. I'm sorry it appeared as a personal attack - it wasn't intended.

I have been following the fortunes of the railways business since my early teens when a school friend persuaded me to come with him to Reading station to look at these modern, new-fangled diesels which were the first ‘Warships’, the D600s and D800s. For some reason I suddenly realised, at the age of 14, that I was present at the end of an age, an epoch, and the beginning of the next and this change fascinated me. I delved into the history of the railways, especially as 'my' bit was built by the great Isambard, and this interest has followed me ever since. I have never worked for the railways although school chums did (and we stayed in contact over the years) but pursued a career in science and then computer and telecoms engineering management which took me to the continent for over twenty years. But this interest in railways and other forms of transport led me along the paths of learning about the history of technology and the effects it has had on ‘society’ - and equally the effects ’society’ has had on the history of technology. What I think I know is the result of 60 years of observation - and some research - since my epiphany. I hope that one is never too old to learn, I have just finished reading George Dyson’s book ’Turing’s Cathedral - The origins of the Digital Universe’ and am halfway through George Holme’s ‘The Oxford History of Medieval Europe’; at the same time I belong to the IEEE and receive its monthly journal ’Spectrum’ to keep me up to date on things such as quantum computing. As a physicist I will happily admit to a certain uncertainty about most things - which is why some of the more political posters in the forum set my teeth on edge. Their comments border more on religious fervour rather than being the product of any deep thought.

As yorksrob has mentioned, there are cases in this country where the state has been more successful, and Highways England seems to be a reasonable example. The local road project for me, the A14 Huntingdon bypass, seems to be running well, and the Motorway network as a whole seems to be in reasonable shape, although there is always room for improvement. The idea that the Treasury cannot afford things seems to me to be political spin, the Treasury has access to the some of the cheapest borrowing possible, if anything they can afford it easier than private companies. How much the government should be taking responsibility for is the question.

Again, I was less clear than I intended. I draw a difference between building a piece of infrastructure - which is a one-off event - and being involved in the continuous day-to-day operation of a service. Governments can do the first - sometimes quite well - but attract the wrong sort of person to be able to do the second successfully.

In the case of the motorways and the A14 the DfT (in its earlier guises of the MoT and similar) contracted civil engineering companies for the construction having passed the various enabling Acts. The Government then had no direct involvement in the construction and roads do not need day-to-day operation by the Government. The Government sets the scene, the legal framework, the funding for construction, maintenance and policing, and then - as the vehicles are owned and run by individuals and companies - cannot be involved in day-to-day operation. An example of the second was the AEW3 Nimrod programme which was intended to use old Nimrod airframes to build a UK equivalent of the American’s AWACS (Boeing E-3). (I have to declare an interest - I worked on part of the AWACS programme for a sub-contractor to Boeing many years ago). The MoD tried to run the programme rather than sub-contracting the whole thing to a prime contractor and put too many constraints in the way. It was a disaster and eventually the MoD bought some Boeings…

This was one of the hopes for the privatisation of the railways - the Government wanted to avoid being in the firing line every time there was a complaint that the 7.39 from Little Snoozeborough to Hogsnorton Magna didn’t connect with the express last Tuesday at Muggleston. The model was the road system - the Government couldn’t be held to task for the performance of privately run vehicles (cars, coaches, buses or trains) even if the infrastructure, road or rail, was still in Government hands.

Government borrowing is another issue worthy of several books! My main problem with Government borrowing is that money is borrowed from the rich - people or banks or similar sources of wealth - and the interest on the borrowing is paid by raising taxes on the not so well off so the rich get richer. I can’t see how this is justified.

Quite apart from the fact that if the interest rates rise then the taxes on the not so well off have to go up as well. Higher interest rates benefit the rich more than they benefit the less well off.

I exclude from this borrowing for a purpose which returns a profit and allows the debt to be properly serviced. Borrowing to cover general expenditure - which has happened in the recent past and to a certain extent is still happening but to a reduced extent - simply piles up problems for future generations. I find this inexcusable.
This is my problem with privatization as a solution to all government problems. Publicly traded companies can legally only have one motive, and that is profit for shareholders, and private companies can have any number of motives, but they are private to the owners, and could be good for the country, but not necessarily. Cadbury had some good objectives(for its time, I think these days the level of control it tried to exert on its employees even outside of working hours would not be considered reasonable), but should we as a nation be beholden to the charity of private companies. A governments job is to hold society together, by forcing people more able to pay to help those less able. I think there are places where the profit motive cannot be trusted to give the best outcome for the community, and in those cases it must not be used. What you said about nationalized industries having to meet multiple targets is actually exactly what I want out of railways. I know sometimes they are mutually incompatible, but I think the arguments should be public and discussed, so we can choose the best way, not use that as an excuse to give up and fall back to the profit motive because it's too hard to get anything else done.
Strictly the Board of Directors have to follow the instructions of the shareholders, there being no legal requirement that the company makes a profit for them. Of course, if it doesn’t make a profit then once the capital has run out there will be no company!

It’s a bad historian who tries to analyse and judge the motives and actions of the past using the mores and assumptions of the present! I used Cadbury’s as an example, not, in todays world, as a desirable goal!

I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean by the charity of private companies. With modern accountancy and governance rules, the current national and international frameworks and competitive pressures within which companies can operate I would suggest that they, both private and public, are much more constrained in their actions than those of even 50 years ago. As the span of philanthropic, so to speak, activities of companies is reduced the need for other sources of welfare (in the broadest sense) to fill the gap increases. Some of this has to be picked up by Government.

In the case of the railways the debate is usually about the funding of ’socially necessary’ lines and stations and in this ‘green’ era about the types of fuel used and the role of the railway in reducing traffic congestion and road traffic generally.

The issue of the funding of socially necessary lines has essentially been solved. Since the concept was fixed into the 1968 Transport Act there has been no widespread programme of line and station closures. Those that have occurred were treated on a case-by-case basis. The concept of cross-subsidisation of loss-making services within a TOC is reflected in the net subsidy paid by (or premium paid to) the DfT. The DfT no longer has to concern itself with the performance of individual lines as was the case in the early days when long lists were published of the grant paid for each line.

There remains, as always, the debate about the overall level of subsidy that the socially necessary lines require - but that will continue and has to be answered by the political process and the Government’s overall spending levels.

There are bigger issues with building new, or reopening, railway lines which can be seen to be a social benefit. By definition the lines which carry the most traffic are already in existence, so additional lines will be those with lower traffic levels. As such a line is unlikely to be profitable (taking capital and operational expenditure together) and because of the large capital requirement to acquire and build the rights of way and formation (which is essentially independent of the traffic capacity of the finished railway since for a double track railway the width of the formation won’t change even if the alignment can) making a financial case is very difficult. Even if the Government wrote off the capital cost of the construction - which brings us back to borrowing again! - there is still the issue of the on-going operational costs. It is not a simple matter to allow for the perceived environmental benefits or social mobility and in the final analysis it comes back to affordability. This is a question which only Government can answer because essentially it is a political question lying outside the remit of private companies.

You wrote “where the profit motive cannot be trusted to give the best outcome for the community”. Many of the obvious desired outcomes for society of any activity and products or services resulting from these activities are enshrined in Common or Statute Law. Certain activities and products are forbidden, or strictly controlled, and so on.
This appears to be a misunderstanding from these two sentences together:

Although your argument is not convincing, as servicing debts are part of the running costs. I cannot say I am living within my means if I have to get someone else to pay my mortgage for me.
Exactly! The reasons that Network Rail ran up such huge debts are two-fold. The Rail Regulator announced an interim review of Railtrack’s funding in September 2002 after it had been put into Administration the year before, Railtrack was brought out of administration on 2 October 2002 and sold to Network Rail - a Government created organisation with no equity shareholders and the only bidder - on 3 October 2002. The Review increased Network Rail’s funding considerably but the Government did not increase the TOCs’ access charges to pay for this as would have been the case under the earlier structure because the increase in the subsidies (at that time few, if any, of the TOCs were paying a premium) would have affected its credit rating. Instead it guaranteed Network Rail’s borrowings without, at least publicly, setting either annual or upper limits. After the Hatfield disaster the Administrators spent millions on track replacement without having the knowledge to know whether alternatives existed and later Network Rail struggled to improve its infrastructure without a proper engineering organisation. As a result it tended to throw money at a problem - because borrowing was cheap and effectively unlimited and there were no shareholders to keep an eye on the developing problems.

I’m not condoning this course of action - I’m trying to explain it. The Government was complicit in allowing a debt of such size to be built up, but the borrowings are a result of past misdemeanours, not a result of present activities - so in a sense they really are Government debt and shouldn't be counted as part of NR's expenditure. The re-classification of NR as a public company means that this route is closed off and it now has to live within its cash limits; I suspect that in four or five years time this debt will be subsumed into the Government's books completely and NR's accounts will suddenly look about £1.5 billion per year better!

I live in hope that Andrew Haines’ changes to NR’s structure will contribute to an improved financial situation.

It does appear that some do, especially in certain parts of the political landscape. We hear constant news of certain MP's saying we should sell of parts of the NHS, or sign trade deals that allow companies to sue government for passing laws that cause problem with there profits, whether or not those laws are needed to solve other problems. Politically, it does seem like some people will not be happy until government is stripped back until it is incapable of doing anything, which presumably will benefit those that can afford to live in a world where social safety nets and workers rights are non-existent. I know that is an extremist position, but it is one that seems to be becoming more likely by the day, due in part to the incompetence of the opposition(another political opinion that might cause arguments, although I suspect not here).

I do understand there is no market economy in the current system, that is my problem with the current system. But is there a way to introduce market forces into a system so integrated, and an essential service? I think here is the big disagreement between us. I don't think that the states only job is to provide things that can't be supplied by a company at a profit. It's job is also to prevent companies making profits by causing damage, either to society as a whole, or to less able, or less well off parts of it, those of us whose only way of influencing the way the world works is by voting. Or, in the modern world, to the environment. The natural state of the railways is, best case, a collection of monopolies, as there will always be parts of the network that cannot support competition, and even in areas that do have competition, the choice of the consumer is often not which company do I want, but what time do I want to arrive. I am willing to accept the DfT is the main problem, but how would you get rid of it, without removing the controls that allow the subsidies that you said you support?
There is always a debate on the optimum way to organise the way that goods and services are supplied whether by the state or otherwise. There is also a continual debate on the size and reach of the state - and it is healthy that there should be. That is a political debate and to influence its outcome one has to take part in some way.

As one of my managers once said ‘There are two types of people, those that drop things and those that have things dropped on them’. If you’re not happy with the things that are dropping - join in. Become a dropper rather than a droppee.

However, there are no objective descriptions of the things which benefit society as a whole - one person’s urgently needed housing is the next person’s environmental damage, more pollution, loss of green space and habitat. There never will be agreement.

Government, national and supra-national, sets the rules within which people and companies live and work. Governments - and the civil services which support them - have to be generalists as the range of topics and issues they have to cover. They are not - with localised and specific exceptions - not specialists. The rules they frame have to be broad and, in a democracy, allow freedom of action. Specific issues are clarified by case law, but the basic assumption is that the people are to be trusted.

This reflects in the way the DfT interacts with the railway business - how much does it trust the railways to act reasonably? There were instances of financial mis-management in some early franchises (referring to the Connex franchises) and some TOCs trying too obviously to game the system with the result that the then Strategic Rail Authority tightened up the franchise terms. This tighter control increased when the SRA’s franchising activities were subsumed into the DfT. This has now reached a point of diminishing returns. I would therefore suggest that the DfT allows the TOCs to act as they see fit within the same constraints as any other company operating in the UK. Allow that railwaymen and women like running trains and let them get on with it. The key is that it should keep out of tactical decision making.

Regarding the overall structure I have no fixed ideas as I always have doubts about the effectiveness of imposing a structure from without. Experience shows that evolution works - both in the biological world as in the commercial one. One the one hand there are advantages in letting potential operators bid for a franchise for a limited term as this allows the Government to control its budgeting better and offers a modicum of market competition. On the other hand people like to work for an organisation which has a long term future - and if the company only lasts for seven years there can be no long term loyalty in either direction.

Competition existed in the days of the ‘Big Four’ for some of the largest flows by different routes to keep the companies honest: London - Birmingham, London - Manchester, London - Exeter and Plymouth, London - Edinburgh and Glasgow being the main ones. In some ways this structure might be appropriate again for the operators together with easing the requirements for Open Access operators to take part as long as they pay the full costs of their presence. (This latter is difficult if the route is already congested so possibly some other rule is needed - for example to state that 15% of all passengers on a route have to be carried by non-franchised operators. But equally this could be seen as state support for Open Access...!) Public opinion, competition from the the car (possibly electric and autonomous) and the Competition and Markets Authority could ensure that standards are kept on other routes.

All power tends to accrue to the Centre. And in twenty five years time, whatever is decided now, this same exercise will have to be repeated!

So the government basically gave Railtrack £1,459 million before it could be sold, then it raised £1,900 million. Sounds like shareholders got a good deal to me.
Yup! But equally at some point BR's debt - of which Railtrack's £2 billion was a share - would have had to have been written off as had happened to BR's debt at regular intervals. So Railtrack's new shareholders came to the aid of the taxpayer to the tune of £1,900 million. And then they were shafted by a combination of inept management and Stephen Byers.
As I mentioned above, the government can run some things reasonably, and it has in the past. Equally, private companies have had massive issues, i.e. Northern Rock and Carillion. I think competence is not a good argument one way or the other.
I agree, both are examples of incompetence. In regard to Northern Rock and Carillion (and many other companies which have folded) I refer you to Joseph Schumpeter’s concept (based on the work of Karl Marx) of ‘Creative Destruction’. It is part and parcel of the market economy - things don’t always pan out as hoped.
My issue with the Government examples was that it should have realised before it started that it had neither the skills, experience or organisation to be able to successfully undertake the tasks it had set itself. As a result millions of taxpayers money was squandered.
SNIPPED

Thinking through, I think we agree more than we disagree, and you have made me see a lot of the problems with more clarity. One thing that strikes me is how complicated the system is, and that means that a large majority of the population do not understand it. While it presumably has many benefits, it does allow everyone involved to publicly avoid responsibility, which does not seem to be in the best interests of the country. At the very least, I believe the government should take full responsibility for it. As I said before, private companies being part of the system is not a problem, at least for me, and I guess many others. One way of doing that would be to have one organization that takes all the ticket receipts, and pays the TOC's to operate the services, with performance targets, bonuses and penalties. I'm sure there are many other ways, but the current system doesn't work for a lot of people, and it is a difficult to work out who to talk to to solve it. There are lots of problems with the ticketing system, I could list them. But I understand that tickets are decided in most cases by some part of the government side of things, but I buy them off TOC's. Who do I complain to when there is a problem? A little bit of clarity would improve things no end.

You have said that the DfT is the cause of many of the problems, but you have also said that you are not in favour of getting rid of the controls. How would you fix things?
I think we do agree, certainly in identifying the issues which need to be addressed. As background reading about fares and ticketing there are two reports published by the House of Commons Library which are very informative. These are Briefing Papers SN06384 and SN1904. The other point to note is that part of the fares structure is fixed by legislation in the 1993 Act so any changes will require primary legislation. This is the sort of thing which gives the railways a bad name!
For a system as complex as the railways, the number of possible journeys being essentially infinite, and travel requirements varying from person to person, finding an ideal solution for everyone will be impossible. The best possible outcome will be something that is least bad for most people!

I'm not dodging the last question! Really! I'll try to formulate a fuller response and post it later.

Last edited:

quantinghome

Established Member

This runs counter to the general rule of thumb that freight networks are profitable but passenger networks are not. This is evident if you look at rail networks throughout the world. Freight networks, particularly in the US, are financed, owned and run by large private companies, but passenger networks are almost non-existent. If passenger railways were fundamentally profitable, surely somebody somewhere in the world would be running one, but the reality is there are very few instances of a truly privately-run passenger railway running without government support - Japan comes to mind but even that's debatable.

Have you read 'The Railway Dilemma' by Sim Harris? It recounts the history of rail in Britain and particularly on how government has interacted with the rail industry from its inception. The basic point is that our pre-1948 (and pre-grouping) private rail companies made their money mostly from freight. When this moved to the roads, the profits disappeared. British Rail's quest for a 'profitable core' from the 60s to the 80s eventually concluded (Serpell) that if there was one, it would be small and not very profitable. There's a heck of a difference between covering running costs and making a commercial return sufficient to allow ongoing investment.

The book also points out that governments have always intervened in railways, but have never willed the means to achieve the ends they wish. Given the need for ongoing subsidy and political imperatives I don't think we're ever going to be in a situation where the government has the desire or the ability to wash its hands of the railways and step back completely. The best outcome I can see is where the DfT provides only the very high level objectives. It's not the right place to sort out the detail, and evidently it's not very good at doing it either. The problem is that the decisions the DfT currently takes need to be taken by a competent 'controlling mind'. The lack of this was clear shortly after privatisation which was why the SRA was set up. I'm not very familiar with the history but my impression is that being divorced from the operating railway it didn't work very well. But the current franchising system does not allow the franchisees to act as a 'controlling mind' either. The divide between infrastructure and operations is also clearly detrimental to the smooth running of the railway and planning for improvements.

What's to be done? Could any part of the railway be run as a 'proper' private company - combining infrastructure and operations, with no government subsidy whatsoever? Possibly, but only a small amount of the present network. The obvious solution would appear to be a recreate british rail in some form, probably with more regional control. But I don't think this could ever be a truly private company. The 'socially necessary' part of the rail network is too big, and probably comprises most of the network. I've worked for private companies who are almost entirely dependent on government contracts, and are also 'to big to fail'. The government can't go elsewhere, and the neither can the private company. The result is not a good advert for private sector efficiency, and the same would be true for the railways.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'd add that freight on rail can only be truly profitable if it is a very large bulk flow. This can happen for items such as mine to port heavy haul railways, where in fact the profitability of the railway doesn't matter but it forms part of a large profitable mining enterprise. It can also happen in very large land masses such as North America where the distance is long enough that intermodal and trainload freight can be aggregated into long trains and moved efficiently. Freight in the UK runs a small operating profit, but wouldn't if there were no passenger trains so it had to pay the full cost of infrastructure it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.