• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Blue Charters

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglejames

Established Member
Nice simple starter for 5!
Does anyone know what traction Rail Blue normally use? Their website doesnt seem to mention it at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice simple starter for 5!
Does anyone know what traction Rail Blue normally use? Their website doesnt seem to mention it at all.

They use a variety of tractions. The TOCs for the 2011 trips have not been confirmed. Last year there was class 47s, 67s and 87002.

junglejames

Established Member
They use a variety of tractions. The TOCs for the 2011 trips have not been confirmed. Last year there was class 47s, 67s and 87002.

Cheers. Not much point booking anything yet then. Have no wish to get stuck behind a 67, and the tours are not very different from other railtour operators.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The majority of RBC trains I've seen have had DRS 47s on.

Well in 2010 they have also used 87002, 47580 as well as class 67s. I would expect a similar mix in 2011.

alex57601

Sometimes they advertise the traction (like the Watford-Edinburgh tour with 87002 and the postponed Euston-Glasgow tour with 86101) but other times they don't.

One good website to refer to for 47-hauled workings is www.sulzerpower.com - normally there is a workings list of known trains booked to use Class 47s, as well as news and gen.

4SRKT

Established Member
Can't beat a good old DRS 47!!??

Good lord! There was a time when duff bashers stayed well and truly in the closet for their own safety. Nowadays you can hardly close the closet door for all duff bashers rushing to out themselves in the belief that duff bashing has at last become an acceptable activity. Well, it's not and never will be, and the EE fraternity will smile just as smugly as ever ;)

junglejames

Established Member
08 09 20 25 31 33 37 etc... :lol:

20s and 37s. Brilliant locos. Esp 37s, whilst sitting between the 2 exhaust outlets with the engine running!!
Would never say no to a 37.
My preference definitely lies with the 47s though. Just need to win the lottery to buy all the redundant 47s! Oh, and 37401. Best 37 going.

So basically you like everything bar 47s? Fair answer. They do have some haters out there. Mainly everybody thats jealous because they replaced their favourite traction. Oh, why did they replace them? Cos they were better!!

4SRKT

Established Member
20s and 37s. Brilliant locos. Esp 37s, whilst sitting between the 2 exhaust outlets with the engine running!!
Would never say no to a 37.
My preference definitely lies with the 47s though. Just need to win the lottery to buy all the redundant 47s! Oh, and 37401. Best 37 going.

So basically you like everything bar 47s? Fair answer. They do have some haters out there. Mainly everybody thats jealous because they replaced their favourite traction. Oh, why did they replace them? Cos they were better!!

Not at all. We hated them waaaay before that. They've never been popular locos since the day someone from Brush called up someone from Sulzer and said "hey, how about if we tried to make a loco that's basically a 46, but even more dull?!"

junglejames

Established Member
Can't beat a good old DRS 47!!??

Good lord! There was a time when duff bashers stayed well and truly in the closet for their own safety. Nowadays you can hardly close the closet door for all duff bashers rushing to out themselves in the belief that duff bashing has at last become an acceptable activity. Well, it's not and never will be, and the EE fraternity will smile just as smugly as ever ;)

Sounds a bit petty to me. 37s, 47s, 55s. Dont mind any of them. EE locos are classics. They built fine locos. Same for Brush.
You definitely win the prize for the most amount of times the words duff and bash have been seen in a post!!
Im at a loss as to how this has anything to do with a railway forum though?
duff- Something thats p*ss poor
bashing- beating someone or something up.

Oh, wait a minute, i understand now. But where did 67s come into it?
You are on about 67s I assume?
67s= p*ss poor, and often beat the track up.

4SRKT

Established Member
Duff basher bashing is a light hearted activity that's as old as duffs themselves! It's great fun and I can heartily recommend it to you. Being a duff basher yourself you wouldn't even have to leave your own bedroom and could just hurl abuse at the mirror!

junglejames

Established Member
Not at all. We hated them waaaay before that. They've never been popular locos since the day someone from Brush called up someone from Sulzer and said "hey, how about if we tried to make a loco that's basically a 46, but even more dull?!"

Well id say that call was needed.
How many 46s were built?
How many 47s were built?

Says it all i think. Quality always wins the day.

Werent 47s meant to be an updated 46 though? They just ended up getting a more modern looking body. They are updated as well.
Lighter, and not needing that dead axle as a result.
Faster (just)

Fair comment though. Its as good a reason as any to hate something. Cant say i find them duller myself though.
One of the reasons (amongst others) i cant stand the pendos. Cos they are dull and boring (in my eyes) compared to what they replaced.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Duff basher bashing is a light hearted activity that's as old as duffs themselves! It's great fun and I can heartily recommend it to you. Being a duff basher yourself you wouldn't even have to leave your own bedroom and could just hurl abuse at the mirror!

Only one problem. I aint got a mirror in my bedroom!!

47474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747

Thatll do. My fingers are getting tired!

4SRKT

Established Member
Yes, that's what I meant. 47s are basically 46s in a shorter, lighter body. Some people even called 46s 'nose duffs'.

theblackwatch

Established Member

No, I don't like everything bar 47s - but they do come very close to the bottom of my list! Having said that, I have a lot of respect for the work of the 47 preservation groups, such as the 47401 Project and Stratford 47 Group.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Both really. One 12 cylinder Sulzer engined loco is as crap as another AFAIAC.

WHOOSH2.gif

junglejames

Established Member
Both really. One 12 cylinder Sulzer engined loco is as crap as another AFAIAC.

Oh so thats why you dislike them. Because you find them dull, and because they have a Sulzer.
So your following the crowd. One EE nut says "you cant like them cos they have a sulzer", so you decide to follow suit!! Understood. Luckily i dont follow any crowd! Sulzer, EE, it doesnt matter. They are both very good. As long as they dont go 'Ying Ying' then im happy!! lol

Of course, this could just be what your saying now. The real reason could easily be something to do with how good they are, and the numbers actually built!!! Only you know!

So has anyone actually got a really good reason for disliking them? Hydraulic nuts have got a good reason. Peak nuts have as well, but EE nuts. Thats just following the crowd.
On a similar note, as anyone got a really good reason for liking them? Unlikely considering im about the only one here!!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
So has anyone actually got a really good reason for disliking them? Hydraulic nuts have got a good reason. Peak nuts have as well, but EE nuts. Thats just following the crowd.
On a similar note, as anyone got a really good reason for liking them? Unlikely considering im about the only one here!!

What a stupid post! So those who like hydraulics have a reason, those who like peaks have a reason, but just because someone likes an English Electric engine they must be following the crowd?
So your following the crowd. One EE nut says "you cant like them cos they have a sulzer", so you decide to follow suit!! Understood. Luckily i dont follow any crowd! Sulzer, EE, it doesnt matter. They are both very good. As long as they dont go 'Ying Ying' then im happy!! lol
So are you following the crowd because someone once said to you you can't like it if it goes 'ying ying'?

4SRKT

Established Member
As with anything in life it's personal preference. I dislike duffs because during the 1980s more days out were ruined by these ubiquitous machines than any other. I guess you are younger than me, but any poster who's older than about 35 will probably know what I mean: for example going all the way to Edinburgh to sample the 27s on the Dundee local workings and getting bowled for a 47/4! A proper sinking feeling.

I know 47s are 'better' in many ways than most other locos, but since when did that have anything to do with it? For example, nobody would support local football teams if the only reason for liking something was because it was the best.

People like things with a bit of character, and above all that are unusual. Taking the mick out of duff bashers is an established part of the scene and nobody should read anything into it.

junglejames

Established Member
What a stupid post! So those who like hydraulics have a reason, those who like peaks have a reason, but just because someone likes an English Electric engine they must be following the crowd?

So are you following the crowd because someone once said to you you can't like it if it goes 'ying ying'?

And i wind in the rod even further!! That was one big big bite there.
So you understand though. Hydraulics, replaced quite often by 47s. Peaks, ie 46s, well we know about that one. EEs- Havent been many cases of EEs being replaced in numbers by 47s. Well perhaps 50s, but thats about it. Quite often it is a case of following the crowd though. There is a sort of rivalry between EE nuts and Brush (mainly 47s), and each one follows the crowd. Not just EE nuts, but probably Brush nuts as well.
So the post isnt quite as stupid as you make out, and was actually a light hearted question. Any good reasons for dislikng them? Something funny?
It doesnt bother me in the slightest. Im winding you up and your biting.

As for me following the crowd. Well thats plausible, except for the fact i had just said i never followed any crowd.
Theres a chance no EE nuts on here are just following the crowd, but theres also a good chance they are.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As with anything in life it's personal preference. I dislike duffs because during the 1980s more days out were ruined by these ubiquitous machines than any other. I guess you are younger than me, but any poster who's older than about 35 will probably know what I mean: for example going all the way to Edinburgh to sample the 27s on the Dundee local workings and getting bowled for a 47/4! A proper sinking feeling.

I know 47s are 'better' in many ways than most other locos, but since when did that have anything to do with it? For example, nobody would support local football teams if the only reason for liking something was because it was the best.

People like things with a bit of character, and above all that are unusual. Taking the mick out of duff bashers is an established part of the scene and nobody should read anything into it.

Ouch. Thats not pleasant. Never nice when something not expected turns up on a working when youve gone esp for the loco. Id feel the same.
Your reason follows a lot of peoples for disliking 47s, and is as good a reason as any.
As for whats better? Im winding you up. It doesnt bother to me whats better. Anyway, quite often, they are all better at the job they were designed for. 37s are better than 47s on certain things, 47s better on others.

The only thing that annoys me is the stupid term 'duff bashing'. A lot of it because its a derogatory nickname. Mention that term, and i will possibly come back with some stupid sarcastic reply.
Take the pee out of me all you like for liking 47s. Its all in good humour. Use the term Duff, well thats another matter.

4SRKT

Established Member
The only thing that annoys me is the stupid term 'duff bashing'. A lot of it because its a derogatory nickname. Mention that term, and i will possibly come back with some stupid sarcastic reply.
Take the pee out of me all you like for liking 47s. Its all in good humour. Use the term Duff, well thats another matter.

47s have been called 'duffs' for as long as I can recall, so you'll be kicking against years of an established term: a bit like trying to insist that 'gay' really means 'happy' in the modern world. It doesn't really mean much anymore as the word has just become so associated with the loco. Much as 'peak' just means class 44, 45 or 46 (without stopping to think that the reason why this is the case is totally absurd), 'duff' just means '47' to many people and I don't generally think about the connotation. The word predates 'spoon' AFAIK, which I suspect is a term invented by class 47 apologists trying to gain some respectability for the locos by providing an alternative nickname ;)

Last edited:

junglejames

Established Member
47s have been called 'duffs' for as long as I can recall, so you'll be kicking against years of an established term: a bit like trying to insist that 'gay' really means 'happy' in the modern world. It doesn't really mean much anymore as the word has just become so associated with the loco. Much as 'peak' just means class 44, 45 or 46 (without stopping to think that the reason why this is the case is totally absurd), 'duff' just means '47' to many people and I don't generally think about the connotation. The word predates 'spoon' AFAIK, which I suspect is a term invented by class 47 apologists trying to gain some respectability for the locos by providing an alternative nickname ;)

Yeah i know its an age old nickname, and i dont intend to be able to change that. Doesnt mean i have to use it though.
Outside of the rail industry, Duff means just that. Something that is duff. Its a derogatory nickname that probably came about by people who loathed the class.
Its like Skoda. Its meant as a derogatory nickname. So for these reasons, i dont use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.