• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Charter Services Ltd - Services Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Morning all,

Sad news published yesterday (04/04) by Rail Charter Services Ltd regarding their tourist services over the Settle and Carlisle route.
Rail Charter Services Ltd said:
Announcement regarding 2022 services

Unfortunately owing to extraordinary difficult trading conditions we have had to take the difficult decision to suspend our Settle-Carlisle tourist rail services in 2022.

The current economic conditions have created the perfect storm of high costs while at the same time all the indicators point to constrained demand as people tighten their belts during this unprecidented time of economic uncertainty.

We would like to thank all our loyal passengers and hope to see you back onboard in 2023!

(Sourced: https://settlecarlisle.vticket.co.uk/, last accessed 05/04/2020)
As they reference ‘a perfect storm’ of circumstances that have come together and I am glad they’ve made the decision to protect themselves for the future, but none the less a sad reflection on the current state of affairs across the board.

TP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matrix24

Morning all,

Sad news published yesterday (04/04) by Rail Charter Services Ltd regarding their tourist services over the Settle and Carlisle route.

As they reference ‘a perfect storm’ of circumstances that have come together and I am glad they’ve made the decision to protect themselves for the future, but none the less a sad reflection on the current state of affairs across the board.

TP
Yes, just was reading the article. Just shows how much uncertainty as we head into the Summer.

Be wise or gamble, difference in seeing your company fail or survive.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Was this the company that had that 125 doing the Staycation Express over the past couple of years?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Was this the company that had that 125 doing the Staycation Express over the past couple of years?
HST last year, in 2020 it was loco hauled MK3 coaches.

They make sense, people are going to have to tighten their belts with the rising costs of everything. Little luxuries like paying for a day out on tours (when you take into other costs in account) for some are an easy way to save money

Did they ever actually advertise the services? While they may well be right about reduced demand, it's hard to see how they can predict that this early in the year.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They make sense, people are going to have to tighten their belts with the rising costs of everything. Little luxuries like paying for a day out on tours (when you take into other costs in account) for some are an easy way to save money

And you can do the exact same trip in a 158 for far less money. Sure, it's not luxury, but it's the same hills to look at! :)

plugwash

Established Member
The question is will things be better next year? the issue with locomotive coal being hard to source and expensive doesn't seem like it will go away. Nor does the economic uncertainty that has resulted from Brexit and Covid.

The question is will things be better next year? the issue with locomotive coal being hard to source and expensive doesn't seem like it will go away. Nor does the economic uncertainty that has resulted from Brexit and Covid.
The HST's they used don't need locomotive coal.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Shame to hear this all the same. I did go on that Staycation Express and enjoyed the trip and train.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Very sad news.

Didn't use it myself (I tend to use the intermediate stations) but it was doubtless a useful boost of capacity on the line.

Wonder if they'll be using those stunning HST's on anything else this year !

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Very sad news.

Didn't use it myself (I tend to use the intermediate stations) but it was doubtless a useful boost of capacity on the line.

Wonder if they'll be using those stunning HST's on anything else this year !
I'm sure they will, I guess the thing is that you're always going to limit the attractiveness of the service if you only operate in a small area of the country.

Whereas using the HST on tours around the country is instantly going to open you to a wider audience and allow you to charge more, whilst also usually guaranteeing full occupancy.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is a bit of a shame I used it once from Carlisle to Skipton coming back down from Scotland (I was deliberately taking the long way home and timings just matched up nicely!) and it was an excellent way of making the journey. I recall onboard (as it was fairly late in the season) there was some discussion from one of the hosts/organisers about what the service might look like the following year (i.e. this summer) which days they would do and similar.

Hopefully they will be back however as it is an excellent idea especially if they can start to link up with coach companies to get that traffic off the Northern service. Something which will benefit the coach parties (they'll have a much more pleasant experience on an all first class HST) and regular users (their trains won't be crowded out!).

I did also wonder if it might not be a good idea to investigate having at least one journey to/from Leeds rather than having everything terminate at Skipton. Obviously pathing will be a problem though with that! Failing that whether there could be some scope for integrating with Northern between Leeds and Skipton (buy a return from Skipton to Carlisle on RCS and you can buy a cheap add-on say £5 or something) valid on specified connecting trains?

In any event hopefully they will return next year and hopefully they do have some plans for the HSTs this summer even if it isn't on the S&C!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Hope to see the HST out and about this summer. There's currently a driver training run taking place up the WCML from Crewe to Carlisle with 43058 and 049, so that seems positive.

Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
I'm sorry to see a rail-related section of the tourist market affected, but I won't miss seeing that absolutely dire metallic green and silver livery. Makes it look like a cheap kids toy.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm sorry to see a rail-related section of the tourist market affected, but I won't miss seeing that absolutely dire metallic green and silver livery. Makes it look like a cheap kids toy.

I think it looked splendid. Far better than the filthy off-white or grey that seems to be in vogue these days.

Bessie

I assume it may be seen out and about on other ad-hoc railtours this year? If I recall Rail Charter Services is owned by Jeremy Hosking so he could put it to use under one of his other charter brands.

Titfield

Established Member
Morning all,

TP

This is the same / very similar argument (with some additional nuances) as Swanage Railway have used for their decision not to progress operating the Wareham service this year.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This is the same / very similar argument (with some additional nuances) as Swanage Railway have used for their decision not to progress operating the Wareham service this year.

Possibly, but one must remember that the S&C does have an all year round passenger service regardless.

Bessie

And Rail Charter Services didn't get given £1.5m of public money to refurbish stock that is not being used!

Titfield

Established Member
And Rail Charter Services didn't get given £1.5m of public money to refurbish stock that is not being used!

and of course not forgetting the £3M spent on upgrading the line between Norden and Worgret Junction, the £500K donation from BP / Perenco for the level crossing at Norden Gates, the £75K donation from the Talbot Trust for the DMU servicing facility at Corfe Castle Station.

Its perhaps a bit harsh to say the DMU isnt being used, they have been undertaking training runs with it and doubtless some poster will remind me of the half a dozen charters that come down the branch each year off the mainline and the steam / diesel galas where a few trains run up to the Network Rail boundary.

Nevertheless you do wonder what other uses all this largesse (mainly taxpayers money) could have been put to, to improve public transport on the Isle of Purbeck.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

However the S&C does receive subsidy towards its operating costs on an ongoing basis.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I must say that compared with last year I have seen minimal press coverage. PR can be much more valuable than advertising.
because most people are back having thier holidays in Spain or wherever this year and so don't need ideas on how to fill in time in boring old Britain.

John Luxton

Established Member
because most people are back having thier holidays in Spain or wherever this year and so don't need ideas on how to fill in time in boring old Britain.
Boring old Britain? You could live here all your life and not see everything of interest!

I was listening to a news report the other evening and they were interviewing someone in the UK holiday trade - Wales I think - where bookings are holding up well as many people who traditionally went overseas realised that holidays in Britain without the airport hassle were so much better.

Personally overseas for me is Ireland, Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly and the occasional cruise to Europe.

You can keep all the airport turmoil to places like Spain.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Northern, or their puppet string holders, could always hire the HST [or another loco & rake of coaches] to provide extra capacity on the line, targeting that segment of the market that doesn't want a scheduled train experience, thus relieving over-crowding on those scheduled services, removing the need for a second unit etc.

Iskra

Established Member
Boring old Britain? You could live here all your life and not see everything of interest!

I was listening to a news report the other evening and they were interviewing someone in the UK holiday trade - Wales I think - where bookings are holding up well as many people who traditionally went overseas realised that holidays in Britain without the airport hassle were so much better.

Personally overseas for me is Ireland, Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly and the occasional cruise to Europe.

You can keep all the airport turmoil to places like Spain.
I've been all over the world, and still think the UK is the best country out there (providing you're actually willing to get off your backside and explore it...)

Northern, or their puppet string holders, could always hire the HST [or another loco & rake of coaches] to provide extra capacity on the line, targeting that segment of the market that doesn't want a scheduled train experience, thus relieving over-crowding on those scheduled services, removing the need for a second unit etc.
There's a gaping hole in your plan. That would require Northern to spend additional money, of which there is none.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
There's a gaping hole in your plan. That would require Northern to spend additional money, of which there is none.
But it's spring, the magic money tree will be in full bloom soon. Possibly just after the May elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.