• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Loyalty Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Folks,
Many people use the Rail Network everyday for a variety of reasons.l was wondering if it would be possible to reward passengers with some form of Loyality Card which they would recieve points the more they travel,then when enough points are gained,then the passenger is rewarded with free travel.Basicaly like a Tesco Club Card scheme.

l think this insentive would possibly attract more passengers to the network.Any thoughts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Folks,
Many people use the Rail Network everyday for a variety of reasons.l was wondering if it would be possible to reward passengers with some form of Loyality Card which they would recieve points the more they travel,then when enough points are gained,then the passenger is rewarded with free travel.Basicaly like a Tesco Club Card scheme.

l think this insentive would possibly attract more passengers to the network.Any thoughts.

EC already have one :smile:

Bungle73

On Moderation
East Coast offer a loyalty scheme. You get points when you book tickets with them, which you can redeem against the cost of other tickets and other offers.

SS4

Established Member
Season tickets attract a hefty discount on the day to day fares already.

Not saying this is a bad idea though although I would like to see it linked to ticket value rather than number of journeys so one SOR at £150 (example only) will attract as many points as 10 x £15 advance journeys.

EltonRoad

redspottedhanky.com has a loyalty points scheme which when redeemed is equivalent to 1% cashback.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Various cashback schemes are another form of rewarding loyalty.

graham43404

redspottedhanky.com has a loyalty points scheme which when redeemed is equivalent to 1% cashback.
Red Spotted Hanky also do the Tesco Clubcard Reward scheme which offers very good value.

The East Coast reward scheme has been very good so far from what I used of it. 100 points for joining and then 1 point per £1 on standard class and 1.5 points per £1 on first class tickets, even using advance fares! Converting 500 points has given me a voucher to use for return first class travel to pretty much anywhere. So in a way it works out at about 15% they give you back to use on the tickets.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Converting 500 points has given me a voucher to use for return first class travel to pretty much anywhere. So in a way it works out at about 15% they give you back to use on the tickets.

That is a really good deal. Wonder why I'm not aware of it. :D

ApAp

It's worth noting that the East Coast scheme gives you points on all spend, not just East Coast travel, but travel on other operators, plusbus, buffet vouchers and postage charges.

The only requirement is the total booking must be over £22. So when you're booking long distance travel, why not add some shorter journeys you intend to make to your basket as well.

That said I preferred the old loyalty scheme. That one did reward EC's highest spending customers with benefits like lounge access, 20% off advance fares, a small bottle of wine when having a meal on board, etc. The new scheme is more of a reward for using their website, not travelling East Coast as such.

They could really offer both, the current points based scheme that rewards all website bookings, but send members a card offering lounge access and discounts for those that spend a significant amount on EC services.

bengolding

GNERTime Privilege was fantastic and I regularly made use of the benefits.

I recall Midland Mainline had a similar points bases scheme. A certain number of points based on purchases gave access to a First Lounge, a complimentary breakfast, a free weekend First upgrade etc. However, the scheme was a farce as it took so long for points to show up and offers to be redeemed.

I used to use a cashback site that gave 3% on rail purchases but I've now switched to the EC scheme. Currently awaiting 4 vouchers.

Yew

Established Member
I have always wondered why operators couldnt do some little promotions on the buffet (use the xx:xx service in july and get a free bacon cob or something to add an extra way of moving passenger loadings)

graham43404

I used to use a cashback site that gave 3% on rail purchases but I've now switched to the EC scheme. Currently awaiting 4 vouchers.
You might be waiting a while as I have been waiting for my first class voucher now for over 2 weeks.

I have contacted East Coast three times now and had a phonecall back from a manager at Web Support, it seems they are having "technical problems" with the system and it is affecting a few people.

NightatLaira

It would be nice to see a universal rail travel loyalty scheme. Perhaps affiliations with and point conversions with schemes like East Coast Rewards and Virgin Traveller wouldn't be a bad idea...

Until then, I'll just make do with EC Rewards, and paying for everything using an American Express airmiles card.

cslusarc

I would like to see a UK based TOC join an existing Loyalty Scheme like BA Miles, Virgin Atlantic's Flying Club for Air Friance-KLM's Flying Blue.

Daz28

I would like to see a UK based TOC join an existing Loyalty Scheme like BA Miles, Virgin Atlantic's Flying Club for Air Friance-KLM's Flying Blue.

Virgin offer flying club miles when you travel with them and book through their website. You get extra miles if you travel first class.

mailman

Not trying to be funny or anything BUT why would the various train operators offer loyalty schemes (for the ones that dont do so already)?

If you look at Tesco's club card or the Sainsbury scheme you can see why they do that...because they have REAL competition. Sadly here in the UK the train companies operate their own lovely little monopolies, free of all and any competition so they have no reason to offer you a loyalty scheme. Even more so if you are in a commuter route.

Regards

Mailman

Oswyntail

Established Member
Not trying to be funny or anything BUT why would the various train operators offer loyalty schemes (for the ones that dont do so already)?

If you look at Tesco's club card or the Sainsbury scheme you can see why they do that...because they have REAL competition. Sadly here in the UK the train companies operate their own lovely little monopolies, free of all and any competition so they have no reason to offer you a loyalty scheme. Even more so if you are in a commuter route.

Regards

Mailman
So no competition from other transport modes, then?

Butts

Veteran Member
If you join East Coasts Loyalty Scheme can you add on journeys you have paid for and not yet taken booked via their website - and what about journeys taken in the last month or so through their site again.

With regard to Loyalty Schemes what about the return of.....

GREEN SHIELD STAMPS !!!

Last edited:

Yorkswatcher

It does add so many journeys as when I signed up I got some extra points from bookings I made.

mailman

So no competition from other transport modes, then?

I dont know anyone who commutes from Peterborough to London in a bus for work.

Dont get me wrong, I can see why train companies on the commuter routes wouldnt operate loyalty schemes, there is nothing in it for them and nothing forcing them to attract customers to their services. They are, after all, first and foremost businesses.

Regards

Mailman

Clip

Established Member
I dont know anyone who commutes from Peterborough to London in a bus for work.

Dont get me wrong, I can see why train companies on the commuter routes wouldnt operate loyalty schemes, there is nothing in it for them and nothing forcing them to attract customers to their services. They are, after all, first and foremost businesses.

Regards

Mailman

But 2 services operate from Peterborough to London so i cannot fathom how you would claim there to be a monopoly on that line?

Or was that a poor example for your previous comment?

mailman

But 2 services operate from Peterborough to London so i cannot fathom how you would claim there to be a monopoly on that line?

Or was that a poor example for your previous comment?

And what does that mean for someone from Sandy or any of the other stations between Peterborough and Stevenage?

But no comment on the main part of my message? Why would train companies offer loyalty schemes, especially for those of us who spend £3000, £4000, £6000 or more a year for the priviledge of going to work? As I said previously, they are first and foremost businesses out to make money.

Regards

Mailman

Clip

Established Member
And what does that mean for someone from Sandy or any of the other stations between Peterborough and Stevenage?

But no comment on the main part of my message? Why would train companies offer loyalty schemes, especially for those of us who spend £3000, £4000, £6000 or more a year for the priviledge of going to work? As I said previously, they are first and foremost businesses out to make money.

Regards

Mailman

If you had mentioned any of the stations between them then i would not have replied in the manner i did - I am not a mind reader and can only answer what is written in front of me.

I believe you will find most of the loyalty schemes are based around buying from their websites rather then anyone elses - well thats what ECs is geared towards anyway.

But again - Look at some of the places where they and the WCML have direct competition to and from and you can see why it really would be a good idea to get people loyalty onto your own trains.

Though in fairness cheaper fares but that wont ever happen so this is the only way they can do that.

And just to add - It would be nigh on impossible to have every line operated by 2 or 3 TOCS and have each one stop at each station - there is no way that this would be possible and get you to work at a reasonable time - which is why there are fewer TOCs now then there were before IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.