• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail services to be increased on May 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don’t know where you’re looking, but Dorking - Waterloo is hourly, as is Guildford to Waterloo via Leatherhead. These weren’t running last week. Shepperton gets its Waterloo services back, Fareham gets its Waterloo services back (via Basingstoke), etc etc.
Not according to the summery on the South Western Railway Web Site, which is what I was looking at. Someone must have forgotten to update this bit.
Service Summary - Monday 18 May to Friday 22 May 2020
South West London (Mainline Suburban)

Dorking to London Waterloo
A half-hourly service will run between London Waterloo and Epsom only. There will be no South Western Railway services between Epsom and Dorking. The last service from London Waterloo is at 23:09.

Here is a screenshot.
Screenshot_20200517-100201_Chrome.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Minstral25

Established Member
" I see that Great Western Railway are returning to the level of two trains an hour between Reading and Redhill. They aren't going to Gatwick Airport."

Week beginning 18th May GWR are only running hourly most of the day except a extra train in the morning peak. The last train is 21:35 from Redhill which is a very early finish.

387star

On Moderation
Why did the government say those who couldn't work from home (granted with advice they should avoid public transport) go back to work this week if rail services which many depend on don't step up till tomorrow?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Hmm. That’s not what is in RTT.
I'm sure it's not. I didn't check that for all services, just some and assumed the South Western Railway Web Site would be up to date but mistakes can occur when updating stuff.

Week beginning 18th May GWR are only running hourly most of the day except a extra train in the morning peak. The last train is 21:35 from Redhill which is a very early finish.
I'm sure I saw two trains listed most hours when doing a National Rail Enquiries search but now I only see one. Alas I didn't take a screenshot at the time to confirm if I was reading it correctly. Is it possible it had two and one was since removed?

westv

Established Member
Why did the government say those who couldn't work from home (granted with advice they should avoid public transport) go back to work this week if rail services which many depend on don't step up till tomorrow?
I thought the advice had always been to go to work only if you couldn't work from home.

Established Member
I thought the advice had always been to go to work only if you couldn't work from home.

You’re correct. Hence why there has been such a limited increase in demand. In theory the people travelling in this week are only the key workers and people unable to work from home. Exactly the same people who have been travelling in all through the lockdown.

We have approximately doubled our services. I went through several commuter stations near London this morning and they were pretty deserted (admittedly I was going through just after 0600 but there are usually a surprising number of commuters on early trains).

Probably two or three dozen passengers joined my train further north during the high peak. That’s more than the handful last week, but not much of an increase, on a service that is full and standing at normal times.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
You’re correct. Hence why there has been a limited increase in demand. In theory the people travelling in this week are only the key workers and people unable to work from home. Exactly the same people who have been travelling in all through the lockdown.

Not quite - as I understand it, the difference from this week is that "non-essential" workers such as those in the construction industry, are being advised to return to work if it's safe to do so. Such sites were closed for the duration of the harshest period of the lockdown.

Established Member
Not quite - as I understand it, the difference from this week is that "non-essential" workers such as those in the construction industry, are being advised to return to work if it's safe to do so. Such sites were closed for the duration of the harshest period of the lockdown.

That’s a fair point.

But I suppose construction is still about the only industry that is being encouraged to restart, and capacity has been doubled (at least) on most of the network.

That said, I have no idea what the tube was like this morning.

westv

Established Member
Probably two or three dozen passengers joined my train further north during the high peak. That’s more than the handful last week, but not much of an increase, on a service that is full and standing at normal times.

it doesn't surprise me. I'd expect a large number of London workers will continue to WFH for the foreseeable future so I don't see a flood of folk any time soon.
My office, for example, has said that it'd take 3 weeks to prepare the office once they can open, up to 10% of staff in the 3 weeks after that and then up to 40% in the 8 weeks after that.

johntea

Established Member
I'm still working from home although have been going into the office once a week, arguably just as a break from working from home! (It can be quite soul destroying just sat on your own week in week out...)

Apparently a lot of people have tried to return to work today only to find they have nowhere to actually work as other people have nicked their offices to maintain social distancing!

AdamWW

Established Member

Although the government and media have rather given that impression, it's not in fact true (at least for England) that there was ever a requirement for companies to close unless explictly listed (non-essential shops, restaurants etc.)
All through the lock-down it has been legitimite to travel to work if it can't be done from home - the work doesn't have to be essential, only that it is essential to travel to carry it out.

I have a letter from the HSE confirming this.

Many companies nevertheless chose to close either out of prudence or because they were mislead. I'm sure the government was happy with this or they would have said something earlier, but what has now changed is that they are asking companies that could have carried on but didn't, to now start up.

Established Member
Although the government and media have rather given that impression, it's not in fact true (at least for England) that there was ever a requirement for companies to close unless explictly listed (non-essential shops, restaurants etc.)
All through the lock-down it has been legitimite to travel to work if it can't be done from home - the work doesn't have to be essential, only that it is essential to travel to carry it out.

I have a letter from the HSE confirming this.

Many companies nevertheless chose to close either out of prudence or because they were mislead. I'm sure the government was happy with this or they would have said something earlier, but what has now changed is that they are asking companies that could have carried on but didn't, to now start up.

Even cafes and restaurants have always been allowed to remain open to provide takeaway only. There’s cafe near me that has remained open on this basis all the way through (and also now sells overpriced groceries - £4 for a loaf of bread, anyone!? :rolleyes: ).

More of these are now opening up. Pret, for example now, has several central London branches open.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Public transport in London very quiet this morning. BTP have had some 400 officers on duty; however not many customers.

Established Member
They’re making a lot of dough out of this crisis

Very good. You used your loaf there. :D

They’re doing a roaring trade, on account of the fact there’s nowhere else nearby open to buy a decent coffee (albeit also overpriced!).

Staffordian

Hi all

With the current significant changes to plan i've made a daily version of the comparison tool;

Thanks - as ever this is incredibly useful for understanding how things are changing.

However, I’m not sure about the ‘Compressed changes’ option, which appears to give the same result as the Default (at least it does for STA, EUS and SKI, which were the first ones I looked at).
Perhaps there are underlying differences causing this to happen ?

RailAleFan

Thanks - as ever this is incredibly useful for understanding how things are changing.

However, I’m not sure about the ‘Compressed changes’ option, which appears to give the same result as the Default (at least it does for STA, EUS and SKI, which were the first ones I looked at).
Perhaps there are underlying differences causing this to happen ?

Thanks - I hadn't changed the comparison logic for compressed view to take into account the alternative data source, should be OK now...

@TPlanner93 - the percentage is simply the number of services per operator for today Vs May 20 in the context of the query...

Mikey C

Established Member
A very nice Geoff Marshall video where he starts by longingly looking at the trains he can't get on, but then goes to visit and talk to the station manager at East Croydon (on Sunday 17th) and then remotely Steve White the COO of GTR about service provision levels

Timmyd

City Thameslink and Blackfriars v empty yesterday at 615-630pm. Typically 1 passenger per 2 carriages heading both ways through CTK, my Sutton marginally busier with perhaps 2-3 per coach

Status
Not open for further replies.