• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Simulator Problem (Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hey guys

I have a problem with rail simulator, i can install it ok then wen i click play the little thing counts down and then it goes up with a message saying Rail sim launcher application has stopped working, it then says it will notifiy you of a solution and then there is no solution (see the screenshot attached). it then closes the program and u cant play it!

Ive looked around the net for help and have found nothing. There is no help on Rail simulators site for vista and have had no luck finding anything else. Starting to take the ****!

Anyone got any ideas???

Cheers Stephen

Attachments

• RAIL SIM.jpg
    RAIL SIM.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 143
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What is your computer spec?

russjusty

i have got the same issue as the last person... this is a 6 month old pc which is desgined for entertainment purposes yet i also get the launcher application screen and cannot play this game which was a gift for my partner. i am resisting taking my pc to a technician but i am running out of ideas?? i do not have pc knowledge as such so i would not know where to start? any help would be very helpful.

SRBICE

I have a top- spec computer and the game still runs a bit slowly. I think this game demands huge amounts of processing power that most computers can't cope with.

Respite

I run the game on what is hardly a cutting edge system for todays games.

It's an AMD 4000+ 64+ Dual core cpu
with 2 GB of DDR2 ram
With an Nividia geforce 8500 GT.

The game runs perfectly at 1600 X 1200.

The main thing about my specs is that it's running on Windows XP sp2, I dont do Vista as I find it makes all my high demand games run slow & unstable.

It does seem that railsim (along with quite a few other recent games) does have a problem with vista.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh as for something else to try, then download the latest Netframework 2.? whatever it is from microsoft website. I can't recall offhand what its called now. (Just got up after busy morning shift:D)

The game when I first got it attempted to install this software but never managed to do it correctly. I just went to MS website & downloaded it manually & it worked fine ever since.

joshva86

Ive got the same problem ive installed the latest software and its still not bloody working ea r idiots!!

Ilove165's

Mine just doesn't seem to want to install....all i can do is put the cd-key in and that's it....

Regards,

Sam

Yixi

Have same problem :(

My PC is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
4GB RAM DDRII Kingston 800MHz
nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB RAM GDDR3

MS Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1

i've tried to run it in compactibility mode but with no success

Roymondo

Mine just doesn't seem to want to install....all i can do is put the cd-key in and that's it....

Regards,

Sam

I think that's a known issue with EA Rail Simulator. Go to their website (http://www.railsimulator.com/en/support) and download their latest FAQ document. I think it has a solution for this specific problem.

Regards

Roy Beasley
Hey guys

I have a problem with rail simulator, i can install it ok then wen i click play the little thing counts down and then it goes up with a message saying Rail sim launcher application has stopped working, it then says it will notifiy you of a solution and then there is no solution (see the screenshot attached). it then closes the program and u cant play it!

Ive looked around the net for help and have found nothing. There is no help on Rail simulators site for vista and have had no luck finding anything else. Starting to take the ****!

Anyone got any ideas???

Cheers Stephen

Right-click on whichever desktop or Start menu shortcut you use to launch the game, pick Poperties and then tick "Run as Administrator". Alternatively, browse to the Railsim.exe file itself and do the same thing there.

This workaround will often get recalcitrant programs running under Vista even though they are not specifically designed to run under that OS.

Regards

Roy Beasley

AlexUk

Hello I try run this game but is impossible same message of windows.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1

Intel core Quad q6600 Go

Nvidia Gforce 8600 gts

6gb ram

320 GB space
------------------
:cry::cry:

Install in the game the 2 MKU and nothing happen :roll:
Hello I try run this game but is impossible same message of windows.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1

Intel core Quad q6600 Go

Nvidia Gforce 8600 gts

6gb ram

320 GB space
------------------
:cry::cry:

Install in the game the 2 MKU and nothing happen :roll:

OK I read the FAQ

Rail simulator no support WINDOWS in 64 bits..

shame :|

Phoenix

Established Member
I wont say my specs because I dont know them but I have a 8 month old pc with Windows vista and it won't work for me either it just say the same stopped working statement.

AlexUk

Hello again.

well my Rail Simulator run now.

First install rail sim the MK1 and MK2 = no working

second install rail sim MK1 + expansion pack = working without problems

I think the problem is MK2 in Windows Vista 64bit ..

If anybody have same problem with Vista 64bit Tried install the game without MK2
Regards

Phoenix

Established Member
Hello again.

well my Rail Simulator run now.

First install rail sim the MK1 and MK2 = no working

second install rail sim MK1 + expansion pack = working without problems

I think the problem is MK2 in Windows Vista 64bit ..

If anybody have same problem with Vista 64bit Tried install the game without MK2
Regards

Sorry don't mean to sound stupid but what is MK2 cause I just have the original rail sim with however many discs it has.
So to get just that working what would I need to do?

AlexUk

Hello Phoenix.

MK1 and MK2 is the service packs. that is my experience.

you clean all your last installation of Rail simulator, inclusive the registry.
if you no have experience in computers and dont know how clean the registry download CCLEANER is free software.

then install your Rail simulator. but no run yet .
install the service pack 1 MK1
and next run your Rail simulator.

if you still have problem, go to in your Windows:

Start, control panel, system, advance system settings, advance, settings >DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION there click in Turn on DEP and in ADD select the .exe of Rail simulator ( C:/PROGRAM FILES / RAIL SIMULATOR. /RAILSIM.EXE
apply, ok , and restart .

Try again if working....

if not, .. check your graphic card.

For NVIDIA ( 8600GTS ) Nvidia control panel > Manage 3d settings.

anistropic filtring x16
gamma correction ON
antalising mode OFF
Transparency Supersampling
texture clamp OPEN GL
Force bimap NONE
max frames 3
single display performance
texture filtre on
negative load ALLOW
Quality = Quality
trilinear opt ON
buffer on
force off
--------------------------
Always run in ADMIN
compatiblily XP sp2
--------------------
I hope all this info help ...

cheers

Phoenix

Established Member
Hello Phoenix.

MK1 and MK2 is the service packs. that is my experience.

you clean all your last installation of Rail simulator, inclusive the registry.
if you no have experience in computers and dont know how clean the registry download CCLEANER is free software.

then install your Rail simulator. but no run yet .
install the service pack 1 MK1
and next run your Rail simulator.

if you still have problem, go to in your Windows:

Start, control panel, system, advance system settings, advance, settings >DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION there click in Turn on DEP and in ADD select the .exe of Rail simulator ( C:/PROGRAM FILES / RAIL SIMULATOR. /RAILSIM.EXE
apply, ok , and restart .

Try again if working....

if not, .. check your graphic card.

For NVIDIA ( 8600GTS ) Nvidia control panel > Manage 3d settings.

anistropic filtring x16
gamma correction ON
antalising mode OFF
Transparency Supersampling
texture clamp OPEN GL
Force bimap NONE
max frames 3
single display performance
texture filtre on
negative load ALLOW
Quality = Quality
trilinear opt ON
buffer on
force off
--------------------------
Always run in ADMIN
compatiblily XP sp2
--------------------
I hope all this info help ...

cheers

Right then I will give that a go sunday as I will have some spare time.
And cheers for taking the time to explain much appreciated.

valentaman

i got o install rail sim and enter the required code and a black box flashes and it closes down any advice here welcomed i want to play it but cant!

hungover

Has anyone managed to get this working on computers that have onboard graphics (probably 50% of all laptops)???

I wasted a couple of hours updating drivers and installing the two game updates- now rather than a referenced memory error I just get a black screen- which I guess is progress of sorts!!!

From the "support" pages (I use the term generously!!!) I note that it says 64mb but AGP and PCIe only.

Ok "vendor caveat" and all that but if this game will not work on machines with pci or onboard graphics it would be nice if they used a font larger than 2 points on the dvd box. I forgot to take a microscope out with me when buying this!!!

Granted the specs do (casually) mention the AGP and PCIexpress but one just glances at the reference to 64mb and thinks "that's fine I have more than that" without stoping to consider what type of graphics they have. I do doubt that this would run on a pc running vista on 512mb of system ram- I doubt that vista would be usable in any real sense of the word on 512mb.

Oh well time to find out what the refund policy is...

Edit...

Whilst in moaning mode- I can see the logic behind torrenting games before buying them.

Last edited:

Fincra5

Established Member
I'd move on to Railworks. I got it through steam like Counter Strike Source.

But anyway if you have the RS install DVD copy the files from that disk to ur computer and then run the exe. from those files instead. That should work.

Also there is no more technical support for RailSimulator anymore as the focus of RailSimulator.com is too railworks.

Reddog785

My Specs are equal..almost,it's just the processor :( and if it did work it would be as slow as hell:cry::-x<(<D GRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EA thinks every PC in the world has the graphics and quality power of a PS3!
And believe me,THAT is strong ;)I own one myself;)

chrisreb

Have same problem :(

My PC is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
4GB RAM DDRII Kingston 800MHz
nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB RAM GDDR3

MS Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1

i've tried to run it in compactibility mode but with no success

That spec sounds fine

I run it on Vista x32 Ultimate SP1 without issue
Nvidia 8800Ultra and 4GB Ram (Quad core intel)

Assume tried to install as Administrator and all the usual pre-requisites etc?

The_Stig

My comp has:

Windows Vista 32 bit, SP2,

Inter core 2 duo E6550, 2.33Ghz,

3GHz RAM,

256Mb ATI Radion HD 2400 pro graphics card.

My game loads, runs for approx 3-5 mins then just stops and I return to the desktop. Anyone any ideas?

goddo2305

I had a similar problem with vista. this is how i fixed mine. Ok, Goto My Computer (vista - computer) goto the installation folder. Scroll down to RAILSIM.exe. Then right click it and click properties. Then choose the compatibility tab at the top. Select the "Run This Program In Compatibility Mode for ..." Select Xp Service pack 3, if service pack 3 is not there select service pack 2. then hightlight the "Run This Program As Administrator" button down the bottem. Try that. Hope that helps as it helped me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.