• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcards are going Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Staff Brief today indicates that Digital Railcards will be introduced to the public from late July. Today's brief was only a "teaser" saying that a full brief will be issued by 23rd June, which the accompanying email said was "approximately 1 month before introduction to the public".

Attachments

• Retail Brief - Digital Railcard v.1.pdf
    316.7 KB · Views: 697
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
They are the LAST two people you'd expect to share a Two Together!

I assume Paper/Plastic railcards will still be available?

FenMan

Established Member
I assume Paper/Plastic railcards will still be available?

I didn't see the word "replace" anywhere in that brief. So, not yet then.

Fannying around to find the phone, then entering the PIN to get past the LockScreen, then searching for the railcard app (as it's not on the home screen of the device), then opening the app and then selecting the correct menu options to display the railcard details to the guard, takes how much less time than simply showing them a piece of card in your wallet/purse/railcard holder?

Hmm.

Just because it can be done, it doesn't mean it should be done.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
It opens up another issue of people not be able to get their phones on due to the battery going flat (or worse being able to show their railcard at the start of the journey but then the battery going flat enroute).

Established Member
It opens up another issue of people not be able to get their phones on due to the battery going flat (or worse being able to show their railcard at the start of the journey but then the battery going flat enroute).

I am (as a railcard holder myself) opposed to this-for this reason. As someone said above-just because it can be done doesn't mean it should!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Power pack.

In any case no one will be forced to switch, yet.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am due to renew shortly and woant be opting for one unless there was a huuuuuuuuuuge difference in price. As it is this is doubtful so carry on as normal I think.

Paper ones £40, digital ones £25. I wonder how many will switch.

(Argument may not apply to DIS ones however.)

gray1404

Established Member
bb21 have you heard of any plans to offer such a huge difference in price between the 2 types?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
bb21 have you heard of any plans to offer such a huge difference in price between the 2 types?

No, but this is something they can try if they want to persuade people to switch. After all they did that with Oyster in London.

Not saying it will happen, mind.

kieron

Established Member
So the railcard will be digital, but the travel ticket will still be on paper?
One step at a time I suppose.
No, you can already get some tickets on mobile phones on some routes. I imagine people who do that are who this is really designed for, as the ticket app could confirm you have a valid railcard when you bring your ticket up.

I really don't know how this would work with two together railcards, though.

(Incidentally, the mock-up may have been a reference to all the times the people pictured could have both been going back and forth to various debates over the last few weeks.)

AM9

Veteran Member
Just another solution looking for a problem. It's not the concept of physical tickets and railcards that is broken, it's the inability of some to carry (or remember to carry) cards weighing a few grammes on their person when travelling.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Really what would be the point of forcing everyone to switch to an electronic version ? Even in these straightened times it can't cost them that much to churn out one piece of printed card (maybe two if there's a photocard) a year.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Really what would be the point of forcing everyone to switch to an electronic version ? Even in these straightened times it can't cost them that much to churn out one piece of printed card (maybe two if there's a photocard) a year.

Not everyone is being forced to display it digitally. It should drastically reduce the chance of people forgetting it/leaving it at home etc.

I seem to recall there was a pretty dire promotion involving Alex Salmond when Two Together was first launched...?
If they can make this stick, it will help close down the pressure to use discretion when faced with the 'I left my railcard at home' scenario, ie. whatever else I left at home it would never be my smartphone!!!

r37

I really hope it doesn't come to the point we are forced to switch. I'd much rather have a paper railcard anyway and if it's in my wallet I know I won't forget it.

Especially with my (rather slow) phone, it would take about 10 minutes just to get into the railcard app I expect. :lol:

Clip

Established Member
I really don't know how this would work with two together railcards, though.

In what way? If it shows both people who are on teh railcard then it works. Theres even a picture to show you how this would work.

mailbyrail

But when I go out, I take my wallet every time, I regularly leave my phone at home.
If it's another way to issue a 'card' then fine, but if I'm expected to have it only on my phone, then that's one less card sale and several hundred pounds less ticket sales every year. The car is parked outside my door.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Just spent a disproportionate amount of time with customer who came in the booking office and handed me some paper 2 A4 sheets of it, initially assuming he was after a TOD collection it was soon obvious to me (if not him) that he had printed off the E Mail confirmation for a Downloadable Ticket........

technology is used by humans

Rover

It's interesting to read the luddite responses when some new technology is introduced. Future generations will look back on our time and wonder how we managed to progress at all!

talldave

Established Member
It's interesting to read the luddite responses when some new technology is introduced. Future generations will look back on our time and wonder how we managed to progress at all!

If you've ever tried a rail industry app, you might understand why. If this RDG app is as crap as ones like the Southern app were, then it'll be another example of let's take a good idea and screw it up.

That said, I'd quite like the two to run in parallel, so on those occasions the railcard gets forgotten, it's possible to boot up the app and access the railcard. Oh hang on, I have an Annual Gold Card, which isn't a proper Railcard, so that's me out.

I wonder if the app presents a bar/QR code for scanning? Otherwise, it'll be an easy task to photoshop the expiry date :cry:

Puffing Devil

Established Member
What about those who do not have a mobile - do they need to buy one in order to get a railcard?

I can foresee many issues with lost phones, broken phones, flat batteries and crashing apps.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Surely the obvious solution is that if you order your railcard directly (as opposed to at a booking office), you get a paper copy and the app. version, then you are covered if you forget either.

I wonder if the app presents a bar/QR code for scanning? Otherwise, it'll be an easy task to photoshop the expiry date :cry:

Provided the ticket checker can see that the image being displayed is within the app and not just an on-screen image, then photoshopping isn't going to work.

What about those who do not have a mobile - do they need to buy one in order to get a railcard?

Clearly not, there is no talk of replacement. This is an additional option to make railcards more accessible. People, like me, who do not have a nearby booking office and might want to make a big trip on short notice can just buy the railcard online rather than having to miss out on the savings.

I can foresee many issues with lost phones, broken phones, flat batteries and crashing apps.

If you can lose a phone you can lose a railcard, whats the difference?

It is not hard to keep a phone charged, most travellers carry a battery pack or a charger and many trains have plug sockets.

Gareth Marston

Established Member

People use the technology that don't understand how it works or don't read the instructions on how it works or press the wrong button for the wrong thing on the internet. Have a look at the Disputes and Prosecution's thread to see the problems it gets people into..

Status
Not open for further replies.