• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railfest 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_1985

How come the 395 didn't make it under its own power!

most likely a lack of drivers trained on both the traction and the route...

there would be no reason for any SET drivers to be route trained on the ECML, and likewise there would be almost no reason for any DBS drivers (that know the route) to be trained on the units

but there would also be the issue that AFAIK the 395s have not been cleared for use on the full route that the unit would have been booked to travel.

Remember, its not just a matter of IF the traction can fit on a route, there is also the issue of any electrical interferance, and would the route be capable of supporting the electrical needs of the unit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

I enjoyed my visit to RailFest at York yesterday (9th June. There was one very heavy downpour but mostly it was either heavilly overcast or very bright and warm. There was a massive attendence, which made it difficult to get clear photos of loco's and trains without waiting for someone or a group to move off. There was also one very bad pinch point that heavily slowed down the movement between two sections of display and caused some irritation.

To give an idea of what the day was like at times here is one of the last photos I took just before setting back to the station. It's taken from the viewing gallery that overlooks the mainline from the Transport Museum. As I walked into the landing from the darker interior I was immediately taken at the colour of the sky and decided to take a photo. As luck had it the Flying Scotsman train was just departing from the station, for Edinburgh. It makes a striking contrast the the heavilly laden sky...

1512HeavbySkyTheFlyingScotsmanYork9thJune2012.jpg

Worst part of the day was the train journey from Didcot To York and back, especially the return journey. This was due to an engineering divergence around Derby. Outward the journey seemed to drag due to the long stops at a number of stations. However, in site of that we did arrive in York right time.

It's just as well that I decided to catch a train back an hour earlier than planned as it took six hours and 15 minutes. We arrived in Oxford missing my connection by 4-5 minutes and had a 40 minute wait for the 21.30. I could have done without that, having ot up at 5am to start the journey. However, the plus side was that it was interesting divergence via Long Eaton. I hadn't been that way in a long time. It was intersting seeing the variations of wagons and locomotives at Totton, especiallay the long line of Class 66's. I had probably driven most, if not all of them at one time or another.

It was good to see that the old GN viaduct at Binnerley was still in good condition. It's still a fine sight.

I took lots of photographs, which will take a while to sort out but I managed to put the few video shots I took into a short video. Perhaps you will find it of interst. Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYtNMIjdaHk&feature=youtu.be

Status
Not open for further replies.