• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

Butts

Veteran Member
Oh absolutely, on a side note I have wondered how much traffic some of VTECs lounges actually generate. I can't imagine that Berwick or Wakefield are at any point busy, or am I completely wrong?
Sam

Someone mentioned Edinburgh as being quite paltry in respect of the "fayre" on offer. Newcastle is even worse "tea and biscuits" is all I've ever had in there. It's not so bad at Berwick and Darlington where that's all I expected - and got - at least they were empty as you predicted not rammed like newcastle.

I can't believe no one has asked on Twitter why there is such disparity between the two brands in terms of the offering (or lack of <D)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Oh absolutely, on a side note I have wondered how much traffic some of VTECs lounges actually generate. I can't imagine that Berwick or Wakefield are at any point busy, or am I completely wrong?
Sam

I've visited Wakefield lounge 3 times. Twice I was the only one in there. On the other occasion there were 3 of us.

route101

Established Member
Someone mentioned Edinburgh as being quite paltry in respect of the "fayre" on offer. Newcastle is even worse "tea and biscuits" is all I've ever had in there. It's not so bad at Berwick and Darlington where that's all I expected - and got - at least they were empty as you predicted not rammed like newcastle.

I can't believe no one has asked on Twitter why there is such disparity between the two brands in terms of the offering (or lack of <D)

Pretty quiet when i used Edinburgh , one other person , was a saturday though .
Tea and biscuits /water was all it really was .

route101

Established Member
Can't speak about Coventry but with regard to the other two I have been in on Weekends and Weekdays.

International is unmanned so normally has a bit less on offer at the W/E. The Crisps might not be there just Biccies and Hot and Cold Drinks. New Street is manned so you could well get the full works.

Personally I love the "Uglies" chocolate biscuits look out for them. :p

Wondering what these uglies were ?:p

boyaloud

Only, as far as I am aware, available in VWC Lounges and Trains they are little chocolate covered biscuits that are heavenly as long as you do not have "falsies" - rock hard but yummy. :p
I love chcolate and biscuits but find these an unpleasant texture. Normally I like lumpy bumpy things but I don't know what it is, I just can't warm to them. The rocky road, tiffin and millionaires shortbread also often found in vtwc's many lounges are superb!

richardderby

sent an email to Scotrail, to comment that 1st advance tickets do not allow access to the lounge at Aberdeen, and that they should publicise this more effectively on their website, as they are now (I think) the only company that do not allow lounge access on first advance tickets, and had the following reply... confused....:roll:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your email dated 10 September 2017 regarding 1st Class lounge at Aberdeen Station.

It is disappointing to learn that on the 9 September 2017 you were not permitted access to the lounge.

Unfortunately the 1st Class lounge at Aberdeen Station is not operated by Scotrail, this particular lounge is operated by Virgin trains.

Thank you for contacting Scotrail.

Yours sincerely

T**** ******
Customer Relations
ScotRail

Polarbear

Established Member
sent an email to Scotrail, to comment that 1st advance tickets do not allow access to the lounge at Aberdeen, and that they should publicise this more effectively on their website, as they are now (I think) the only company that do not allow lounge access on first advance tickets, and had the following reply... confused....:roll:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your email dated 10 September 2017 regarding 1st Class lounge at Aberdeen Station.

It is disappointing to learn that on the 9 September 2017 you were not permitted access to the lounge.

Unfortunately the 1st Class lounge at Aberdeen Station is not operated by Scotrail, this particular lounge is operated by Virgin trains.

Thank you for contacting Scotrail.

Yours sincerely

T**** ******
Customer Relations
ScotRail

I'd be confused too! It was most definitely operated by Scotrail when I visited it earlier this year. Back then, they didn't accept any advances, nor any VTEC only tickets, so I bought a 1st single to Dyce to get around the restrictions.

Bit daft in my opinion, as I was the sole occupant of the lounge, other than the Scotrail staff.

I'd be tempted to write back to SR & ask them to verify the ownership of said lounge.

trainophile

Established Member
Yesterday I booked two sets of 1st Class tickets for next week from Edinburgh Waverley to Montrose and back. Along with PlusBus, I was offered "use of First Class Lounge" for an extra £5 each way, which I declined. (Funnily enough I just checked and it is still £5 even if I was only booking for one person.)

Is it because our tickets with railcards are £14.85 each way for each of us, and there's a minimum ticket price for Lounge access at Waverley?

I was booking on the TPE website, if that makes any difference.

pacenotes

Used the Sleeper lounge in Inverness recently and found it excellent. Just as good as an Airport lounge.

A standard passenger came in looking for a shower paid his 5er and while the lady went and got his shower ready he came into the lounge and downed the largest glass of red I have ever seen.

This is why we can't have nice things :(

trainophile

Established Member
Yesterday I booked two sets of 1st Class tickets for next week from Edinburgh Waverley to Montrose and back. Along with PlusBus, I was offered "use of First Class Lounge" for an extra £5 each way, which I declined. (Funnily enough I just checked and it is still £5 even if I was only booking for one person.)

Is it because our tickets with railcards are £14.85 each way for each of us, and there's a minimum ticket price for Lounge access at Waverley?

I was booking on the TPE website, if that makes any difference.

Update - waved through at Waverley (no pun intended!) with a cheery "wish I was going to Montrose". Lovely Lounge too.

Naughty of TPE to mislead the unwary. I will have to let them know.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
So that's a yes, then?

You can enter any VTWC first class lounge provided you already hold a first class upgrade. If you did not purchase one online in conjunction with an off-peak ticket, you are not 'entitled' to purchase a first class upgrade from a ticket office instead of on-board, but most ticket offices are happy to sell them - especially if travelling on a Pendolino (where there is little chance of boarding the train, having purchased the upgrade, and discovering that no first class seats are available).

Butts

Veteran Member
In the BHI Lounge on Friday having paid £7.50 for a 1st Class Single from SAD to BHI en route to Aberdeen by Air with my son.

Had our breakfast in there before checking in. Cereals, Bananas, Biscuits, Orange Juice and Coffee - just as well it is VWC and not VEC !!

SaveECRewards

I've mentioned recently my experience in the King's Cross lounge last week. Both coffee machines out of order and they've made a number of cutbacks in the last few months such as getting rid of coke, replacing proper cups with disposable cups, replacing glasses with nothing (you need to use the disposable hot drinks cups).

This week was a little better than that last experience. One of the coffee machines was working and the lounge was being kept tidy

Other lounges on the VTEC network:
Newcastle: the biscuits seem to be no more. It was drinks only my last few visits. The hot drinks machine was working and there's water in the fridge (normally juice too - sometimes they run out). Can get messy at busy times. The lounge used to be staffed in the GNER days, NXEC made it self service after it was closed for a while initially blaming faulty heating and then staff shortages. East Coast didn't do much with it except stick up some photos of Sir Bobby Robson (perhaps to do with when they named the train after him) and some other NUFC footballers. VTEC originally promised this lounge would be staffed, but it never happened. Because of this it can get untidy during busy periods.

Darlington: small but due to the station design it's by the reception area, they can check who's going in and also ensure the lounge is stocked and well maintained. So it's quieter, tidier and also better stocked than the Newcastle lounge. This one had 3 different types of biscuits. I don't expect much more from a first class lounge outside of a major station.

Berwick: was quiet when I visited, also unstaffed and like Newcastle anyone can walk in (although they do check occasionally). Was stocked when I was there (only one variety of biscuits) but I heard a complaint on Twitter that there hadn't been a water delivery to the lounge in days. I'm not sure if this was a one off or happens regularly, anyone know?

Edinburgh: not been there in a while but the lounge is like as others have described. It never used to be that way under GNER. The lounge used to have its own reception area and facilities wise was almost at par with King's Cross. Back in that day in a staffed lounge you were served tea, coffee, water and biscuits at your seat, the Go Eat buffet menu was available to purchase as well (food and drink), the only difference was King's Cross offered the full buffet menu including hot food and Edinburgh was just sandwiches and other cold items. Back in that day there was also a nice tropical aquarium in the lounge, it disappeared under NXEC, I wonder if it was taken away or did they forget to feed the fish!

Doncaster: been there once since the refurb and as my purpose of the trip was to test the new Draughtmans Alehouse in the station I only popped into the lounge for a quick look. As reported by many biscuits never seem to be available here. It's always been unstaffed even under GNER (I first used it in 2002, although it was unstaffed it used to have a desk by the door which indicates it may have been staffed at some point in the past).

Leeds: still not visited it since the refurb. I has to be better since the VTEC refurb, even GNER seemed to have neglected this lounge so it was in a sorry state before the refurb happened.

Wakefield: never been

Best first class lounge visited: Paddington - I like the traditional section. The range of food and drink is better than VTEC offer in any lounge and the tables were cleaned very quickly.

I do agree that the VTWC ones are better than VTEC. I wonder if it's because of Virgin's airline heritage they know they need to offer something more in the lounges (but also realise they can't go overboard with the offering like an airline can). East Coast had generally nice lounges under GNER but they were mostly neglected under NXEC and EC didn't change much about them. They had the right idea with the refurb programme but they seem to have run out of money and are literally taking the biscuit from some lounges!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Leeds: still not visited it since the refurb. I has to be better since the VTEC refurb, even GNER seemed to have neglected this lounge so it was in a sorry state before the refurb happened.

Leeds is little changed apart from having brighter chairs. Water, Hot drinks (1 machine), usually biscuits. Best loos on the station (not that that's saying much).

Butts

Veteran Member
I hate to be boring but someone needs to address the paucity of fayre available in VEC Lounges compared to VWC - on Twitter.

I am not a subscriber but would love to hear the response.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I hate to be boring but someone needs to address the paucity of fayre available in VEC Lounges compared to VWC - on Twitter.

It's been raised many times, along with the staff shortages and problems with the website. They're usually ignored.

SaveECRewards

There's been some progress. I was in King's Cross last week and was disappointed and made a rather shaky video of my experience. I made sure that those senior in VTEC were aware of it.

As I mentioned above I noticed earlier this week the lounge had improved. It was being kept tidier and better stocked, one of the coffee machines was working and it was generally pleasant.

Another visit today and it was also looking its best (apart from the disposable cups). Coke had also made an appearance in the fridge. Hopefully this is a permanent restoration.

If this level is maintained it means the lounge is back to the standards of earlier this year. Let's see if they can be persuaded to offer other benefits in the future.

Polarbear

Established Member
There's been some progress. I was in King's Cross last week and was disappointed and made a rather shaky video of my experience. I made sure that those senior in VTEC were aware of it.

As I mentioned above I noticed earlier this week the lounge had improved. It was being kept tidier and better stocked, one of the coffee machines was working and it was generally pleasant.

Another visit today and it was also looking its best (apart from the disposable cups). Coke had also made an appearance in the fridge. Hopefully this is a permanent restoration.

If this level is maintained it means the lounge is back to the standards of earlier this year. Let's see if they can be persuaded to offer other benefits in the future.

Lets hope so. Meanwhile, just down the road at Euston, I was quite pleased with the offerings available on Friday evening. Shortbread and flapjacks (not in packets - full size versions). Cola, lemonade & water, as well as the assortment of hot drinks & a supply of mixed nuts.

Hard to believe the same company is involved with both operations!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Although I can't really complain at the disposable hot drink cups (although they are dreadful from an environmental perspective and little better in terms of ambience) they really should provide something suitable to drink the cold drinks from.

SaveECRewards

Although I can't really complain at the disposable hot drink cups (although they are dreadful from an environmental perspective and little better in terms of ambience) they really should provide something suitable to drink the cold drinks from.
On Thursday I noticed they were giving proper glasses to those who asked for them (they still have some in the cupboard it seems), I'm not sure whether it's policy to give them out on request or whether the person on duty that day was going the extra mile (although I suspect the people who asked for the glasses probably thought they'd just ran out).