• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

LowLevel

Established Member
Not sure if the EMR lounges will reappear - all signage has been removed or covered over. No comms received either way though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alan Glaum

It's entirely unreliable at the moment. It has been open during the current period of nominal closure (sample of once), but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Interestingly I saw one of the regular lounge staff working a New Street gateline - she said that that was being prioritised at the moment.

Edit added:

If it happened to fit, Birmingham International lounge is much more reliable.
With the Commonwealth Games on -lots of people, some not used to UK rail travel, games tickets acting as free local travel tickets - gateline staff probably a higher requirement for a couple of weeks

Blinkbonny

New Street wasn't open yesterday, and the notice seemed to imply for the foreseeable....

liamf656

Not sure if the EMR lounges will reappear - all signage has been removed or covered over. No comms received either way though.
Yes it very much looks it. Some of the signage has also been altered from saying “We apologise that the First Class lounge is currently closed” to something along the lines of “This unit is not in use”.

raveon

Edit added:

If it happened to fit, Birmingham International lounge is much more reliable.

Thanks for the tip; I did this rather than bother with New Street, but although it was open I was slightly miffed to find all the snacks / food had been removed (there wasn't even any empty baskets / bowls on the table, so it wasn't like it was just awaiting a restock); at least there were plenty of cold drinks in the fridge and the coffee machine was working.

Tester

Thanks for the tip; I did this rather than bother with New Street, but although it was open I was slightly miffed to find all the snacks / food had been removed (there wasn't even any empty baskets / bowls on the table, so it wasn't like it was just awaiting a restock); at least there were plenty of cold drinks in the fridge and the coffee machine was working.
That's a shame. The variety can vary, but nothing at all is definitely unusual.

raveon

Guess it aligns well with the complete omnishambles that Avanti has become recently.

kkong

The new lounge at Aberdeen is now open.

Located directly above the new ticket office on the concourse.

Unstaffed - access is via intercom and showing ticket to a camera. Or in my case: nobody answered the intercom so I knocked on the door and asked one of the occupants to let me in.

Tea / coffee / water / crisps available.

Toilets also available inside the lounge.

Butts

Veteran Member
The new lounge at Aberdeen is now open.

Located directly above the new ticket office on the concourse.

Unstaffed - access is via intercom and showing ticket to a camera. Or in my case: nobody answered the intercom so I knocked on the door and asked one of the occupants to let me in.

Tea / coffee / water / crisps available.

Toilets also available inside the lounge.

Is that a Scotrail Lounge or LNER ?

What sort of ticket gets you in there ?

kkong

ScotRail lounge.

Not sure what kind of tickets get you in, for reasons stated above.

In the old lounge, access was for interavailable first class tickets and sleeper passengers.

Probably ScotRail first class advance will also be allowed in (I don't think such tickets existed before Inter7City arrived?)

Butts

Veteran Member
Is it not a disgrace that the 1st Class Lounge at Birmingham New Street remains closed ?

For such a major rail hub it does not seem to be a priority.

Any word on when it may reopen ?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it not a disgrace that the 1st Class Lounge at Birmingham New Street remains closed ?

For such a major rail hub it does not seem to be a priority.

Any word on when it may reopen ?

I am informed that the issues with this lounge are well known at the moment but there's a strong element of robbing Peter to pay Paul going on. There's a lot of pressure to ensure that the gateline is staffed and operational so if there's a shortage there then cover for the gateline will be prioritised over opening the lounge.

kkong

Update on the Aberdeen lounge.

ScotRail staff on site said any first class ticket permits access.

Indeed there are LNER and Caledonian Sleeper logos inside the lounge (no XC though!).

Access is via intercom. If no answer, go downstairs to ticket office directly below lounge, because they are on the other end of the intercom.

Butts

Veteran Member
In the Lounge at BHI This Afternoon on the way back from the Classic Car Show at NEC.

Even though the station was really busy, Comic Con on at NEC as well, the Lounge was deserted.

Hot Drinks from Machine, Pepsi and other Cold Drinks in the Fridge.

Various Crisp type snacks, shortbread, cakes ....but no Uglies :( - are they consigned to the history books now ?

Tester

In the Lounge at BHI This Afternoon on the way back from the Classic Car Show at NEC.

Even though the station was really busy, Comic Con on at NEC as well, the Lounge was deserted.

Hot Drinks from Machine, Pepsi and other Cold Drinks in the Fridge.

Various Crisp type snacks, shortbread, cakes ....but no Uglies :( - are they consigned to the history books now ?
Unlikely!

Birmingham International, whilst generally good for stocks, can be a bit hit and miss with precisely what's available.

No Uglies is unusual, but far from unheard of.

avvy

A hoarding has appeared on Platform 1 at Euston claiming that a New Caledonian Sleeper Guest Lounge is opening on the platform! Anyone have any ideas about when (if at all) this will be completed?

Butts

Veteran Member
Visited the Lounge at Euston Tonight and despite the chaos on the concourse below it was a haven of tranquility.

Cappuccino made by a Barista in a proper cup and a "Rodda's " Cream Tea.

Uglies, Cake , Shortbread and other bit's plus cans of Pop in the Fridge.

I'm certain no LNER Lounge can hold a candle to it, not sure about GWR at Paddington, not been in there for years.

Avanti can get some things right !!

liamf656

It looks as though EMR have refurbished their lounges at Derby and Leicester and reopened them! Not seen other locations just yet so unsure of the status of them

LowLevel

Established Member
It looks as though EMR have refurbished their lounges at Derby and Leicester and reopened them! Not seen other locations just yet so unsure of the status of them
Derby when I wandered past the other day was branded as an "EMR lounge", a waiting room with a TV basically. Not exclusively for first class passengers and no complementary items etc.

Wonder if Leicester is the same, I've not had chance to look.

liamf656

Derby when I wandered past the other day was branded as an "EMR lounge", a waiting room with a TV basically. Not exclusively for first class passengers and no complementary items etc.

Wonder if Leicester is the same, I've not had chance to look.
I’ve just been told this actually! Yeah Leicester is just branded as “EMR lounge” too

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I look forward to resuming my railway peregrinations when things finally settle down.
Good memories of time spent in 1st class lounges.

Butts

Veteran Member
I look forward to resuming my railway peregrinations when things finally settle down.
Good memories of time spent in 1st class lounges.

Take my word for it Euston is the best out there in terms of service and range of fayre on offer.

Have not been in Glasgow for a while, used to be a middling Lounge in Virgin days.

I’ve just been told this actually! Yeah Leicester is just branded as “EMR lounge” too

Sounds like the same "enhancement" Virgin gave to Wolverhampton and Coventry amongst others.

ScotTrains

Has there been any word yet about the opening of the new Avanti first class lounges at Preston, Rugby and Stockport?

Looking forward to the new Preston 1st class lounge as I often have to wait there whilst changing trains. It's odd it never had one previously.

DanDeerskin

The Caledonian Sleeper website seems to suggest that the Lounge in Euston is only available for customers on Saturdays and Sundays - can anyone tell me if that's the case and if this is a permanent arrangement now?

London Euston –Sunday to Saturday for guests two hours prior to departure and two hours after arrival. The lounge is operated by Avanti West Coast. Tickets accepted: Caledonian Double/Club.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
The Caledonian Sleeper website seems to suggest that the Lounge in Euston is only available for customers on Saturdays and Sundays - can anyone tell me if that's the case and if this is a permanent arrangement now?
Sunday to Saturday is the whole week.