• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway author Adrian Vaughan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

In Mr. Vaughan's books, the locations primarily referred to are stations at Challow and Uffington.
I just wondered if there is a currently active line passing these two places and what it the closest active station.
Mr Vaughan describes the locations so eloquently, but is there actually anything left to see?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Challow and Uffington are both located on the Great Western Main line, between Didcot and Swindon. So there is still very much an active railway passing through the sites of these former stations! And Didcot and Swindon are therefore the nearest active stations, with Challow in particular located pretty much equidistant from the two.

Here's the Wikipedia entry for Challow railway station:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challow_railway_station

There's not a great deal left of either of these stations, other than their footprint leading to a wider section of the railway formation, and one of the platforms is still just about extant at Challow.

Harlesden

Thanks for the help, sprinterguy. I may be one of the very few people on this forum who has never ridden beyond Slough (coming from London) on the GWR/FGW.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for the help, sprinterguy. I may be one of the very few people on this forum who has never ridden beyond Slough (coming from London) on the GWR/FGW.

You're not the only one, I've never done any of the Great Western Main Line - except from Bristol Parkway to Cardiff Central. It was on my 'to do' list this year but I haven't managed it.

Challow and Uffington have been pretty much wipedout of existance (though I think the freight yard for Challow retains access for Network Rail to do work), but the Branch station from Uffington at Faringdon (which Vaughn refers to a few times in his books) still exists, albeit in use as an Antique shop. You can see quite a bit of the old railway formation too, albeit severed in a few places by a road.

Someone was talking about reopening as a preserved line a few years back, featuring Broad and narrow gauge. But it never got off the ground.

Wantage road is similarly demolished, though it seems increasingly likely it will be reopened when coal traffic to Didcot ceases (freeing up the relief lines). Unlikely to get the tramway back though.:p

signalman455

In Mr. Vaughan's books, the locations primarily referred to are stations at Challow and Uffington.
I just wondered if there is a currently active line passing these two places and what it the closest active station.
Mr Vaughan describes the locations so eloquently, but is there actually anything left to see?

Mr. Vaughan would like to say that the stations mentioned no longer exist but the railway beside which they once stood in the main line between Didcot and Swindon. Challow was at the 63 3/4 mile post, Uffington at 66 1/2

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Hasn't the coal traffic to Didcot already ceased?

At least: Didcot "A" power station (which was coal-fired) closed down in March, while Didcot "B" (which is gas-fired, rather than coal-fired) remains open.

I imagine Wantage Road station will re-open, probably in the timespan of 5 to 10 years from now - not least as there are well-advanced plans to substantially increase the size and population of both Wantage and Grove, and the road network there, while not currently overly congested, is hardly of such a standard to take the substantial increase in traffic that the expansion is likely to attract!

signalman455

Hasn't the coal traffic to Didcot already ceased?

At least: Didcot "A" power station (which was coal-fired) closed down in March, while Didcot "B" (which is gas-fired, rather than coal-fired) remains open.

I imagine Wantage Road station will re-open, probably in the timespan of 5 to 10 years from now - not least as there are well-advanced plans to substantially increase the size and population of both Wantage and Grove, and the road network there, while not currently overly congested, is hardly of such a standard to take the substantial increase in traffic that the expansion is likely to attract!

I have no current knowledge of the Great Western Main Line and know nothing about Didcot power station's present status but the route is not there simply to serve the power station but to serve Paddington - Bristol-South Wales-South-west and, I hope, Swindon - Oxford.

As to Wantage Road station. W-on-Sea is repeating what I and others told BR in 1963. During the early privatisation period the ex-General Manager of Western Region, who was also Chairman of Oxfordshire County Council and a member of the House of Lords hoped to re-open the station. What W-on-Sea has suggested, what he hopes for is perfectly sensible and a long, long standing hope. The railway is not necessarily guided by good sense. But we all retain our hopes.

John Webb

Established Member
There's not a great deal left of either of these stations, other than their footprint leading to a wider section of the railway formation, and one of the platforms is still just about extant at Challow.
As seen here (click on pictures for a larger version):
Remains of Challow station

© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

And at Uffington:
Bus and Bungalow

© Copyright Des Blenkinsopp and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The former line to Farringdon ran just in front of the low embankment beyond the bus; the cottage is, I think, the former station master's house.

Last edited:

Bill EWS

Nice to hear Challow and Uffington being mentioned. As a fireman at Didcot we worked the daily "Swindon Fly", which shunted at most of the local stations too and from Swindon. Which stations were served alternated daily according to the consignments. Some days the run was quite short but you could run into overtime when having to shunt virtually all remaining goods sidings there and back.

We always went onto Swindon Depot to service the loco and have booked break. The Depot was always full of locomotives of all types and sizes. It was still mostly steam but there were Westerns, Hymacks and 800's also.

I always found it interesting to view Wantage Tramway No. 5 "Shannon" standing on it's plinth at Wantage Road and at that time there was still a lot remaining of the Tramway Terminus at Wantage Road.

Steventon, Challow, Uffington and Shrivenham all in situe with btheir platform buildings and the goods sidings looked as if they were just waiting for the next goods train to arrive. The island platform at Uffington was also still complete and the Farrindon track still ran towards that terminal, with the Up distant signal that remained in place for many years after the branch closed. For a short time after I started there, even Stratton St Margaret station was still in place and of course the branch to Highworth was still used as far as Stratton for goods and I believe too most of the track as far as Highworth, though unused.

Steventon was always interesting due to having been the headquarters of the GWR in the early year with it's interestingly designed building for that purpose.

The local passenger trains ran into the Down Bay platform at Didcot and you never knew what type of loco would be hauling the one or two-coach train as the most poweful of locos were seen as the train was used for running-in locos after servicing at Swindon.

Adrian Vaughn was known to most train crew, though this was prior to him becoming more known through his railway books. One incident I remember was around 1967, having a number of dead locomotives on the train that were going for scrap. The train loco was a Hall engine. We ran up to Challow on a warning and there was Adrian at the signalbox window with the steady red flag. Before the wheels had actually stopped Adrian was out of the box and running back along the train and climbed onto one of the loco's. A Pannier Tank, if I recall correctly and he was soon back struggling with a couple of 'whatever' metal lumps, back up into the box, signals cleared, a green flag and off we set. Not a word spoken by either of us. I still wonder what interesting part(s) he had got off that loco! The driver had a good laugh at that one and it became the talking point during our break at the new Swindon Depot cabin nearer the station, which had recently been built at that time.

We also worked the coal trains from day one at Didcot Power Station. Most coal came from the north in those days and worked mostly by Saltley crew, with Bescot crew at times. I remember a Sheffield crew getting through at one time and wondered how they had worked that out for time. It could take 12 hours too and from Saltley at times.

Didcot crew at that time just unloaded the trains while the coal train crews had their breaks. A Mess room was built on the west curve at Foxhall for this purpose.

Although we just worked the power station side of the job the trains were so regular that you could do 12 hours easily working train after train. Ech took abut 50 minutes to compete but there were the usual delays from broken wagon axels, couplings or brake pipe connection, signal and point failures and even the automatic hopper plant would suffer failures. When trains followed too closely you would often start the next train but find the underground conveyand hoppers would fill up and have to wait for them to clear enough coal to continue dropping more.

Even if getting clear through you could fine that the previous coal train was still standing at the control signal atthe plant exit waiting for passenger trains clearing the station and north junction in the peak hours. And so delays would build up that way.

The northern coal trains lasted until they built the Coal Concentration Depot at Avonmouth and the loops between Challow and Didcot were built to handle this traffic that ran round the clock. Prior to this the Up & Down Loops were at Uffington.

Didcot Power station 'A' is now officially closed. As far as I'm aware nothing goes in there anymore but of course, it could be that an occassional train may still go there for clearing work of some sort. Possibly too they will use trains for clearance work when the plant is demolished. These coal trains became our bread & butter jobs at Didcot and definitely saved the depot from closure after steam went. Most of use were sure close would happen soon after the end of steam. The power station saved the day.

Likewise, we thought that Didcot depot would close if the coal went but thankfully the depot continues to thrive, if on a smaller scale as previously. One of my last jobs before retiement was around the power station.

signalman455

Nice to hear Challow and Uffington being mentioned. As a fireman at Didcot we worked the daily "Swindon Fly", which shunted at most of the local stations too and from Swindon. Which stations were served alternated daily according to the consignments. Some days the run was quite short but you could run into overtime when having to shunt virtually all remaining goods sidings there and back.

We always went onto Swindon Depot to service the loco and have booked break. The Depot was always full of locomotives of all types and sizes. It was still mostly steam but there were Westerns, Hymacks and 800's also.

I always found it interesting to view Wantage Tramway No. 5 "Shannon" standing on it's plinth at Wantage Road and at that time there was still a lot remaining of the Tramway Terminus at Wantage Road.

Steventon, Challow, Uffington and Shrivenham all in situe with btheir platform buildings and the goods sidings looked as if they were just waiting for the next goods train to arrive. The island platform at Uffington was also still complete and the Farrindon track still ran towards that terminal, with the Up distant signal that remained in place for many years after the branch closed. For a short time after I started there, even Stratton St Margaret station was still in place and of course the branch to Highworth was still used as far as Stratton for goods and I believe too most of the track as far as Highworth, though unused.

Steventon was always interesting due to having been the headquarters of the GWR in the early year with it's interestingly designed building for that purpose.

The local passenger trains ran into the Down Bay platform at Didcot and you never knew what type of loco would be hauling the one or two-coach train as the most poweful of locos were seen as the train was used for running-in locos after servicing at Swindon.

Adrian Vaughn was known to most train crew, though this was prior to him becoming more known through his railway books. One incident I remember was around 1967, having a number of dead locomotives on the train that were going for scrap. The train loco was a Hall engine. We ran up to Challow on a warning and there was Adrian at the signalbox window with the steady red flag. Before the wheels had actually stopped Adrian was out of the box and running back along the train and climbed onto one of the loco's. A Pannier Tank, if I recall correctly and he was soon back struggling with a couple of 'whatever' metal lumps, back up into the box, signals cleared, a green flag and off we set. Not a word spoken by either of us. I still wonder what interesting part(s) he had got off that loco! The driver had a good laugh at that one and it became the talking point during our break at the new Swindon Depot cabin nearer the station, which had recently been built at that time.

We also worked the coal trains from day one at Didcot Power Station. Most coal came from the north in those days and worked mostly by Saltley crew, with Bescot crew at times. I remember a Sheffield crew getting through at one time and wondered how they had worked that out for time. It could take 12 hours too and from Saltley at times.

Didcot crew at that time just unloaded the trains while the coal train crews had their breaks. A Mess room was built on the west curve at Foxhall for this purpose.

Although we just worked the power station side of the job the trains were so regular that you could do 12 hours easily working train after train. Ech took abut 50 minutes to compete but there were the usual delays from broken wagon axels, couplings or brake pipe connection, signal and point failures and even the automatic hopper plant would suffer failures. When trains followed too closely you would often start the next train but find the underground conveyand hoppers would fill up and have to wait for them to clear enough coal to continue dropping more.

Even if getting clear through you could fine that the previous coal train was still standing at the control signal atthe plant exit waiting for passenger trains clearing the station and north junction in the peak hours. And so delays would build up that way.

The northern coal trains lasted until they built the Coal Concentration Depot at Avonmouth and the loops between Challow and Didcot were built to handle this traffic that ran round the clock. Prior to this the Up & Down Loops were at Uffington.

Didcot Power station 'A' is now officially closed. As far as I'm aware nothing goes in there anymore but of course, it could be that an occassional train may still go there for clearing work of some sort. Possibly too they will use trains for clearance work when the plant is demolished. These coal trains became our bread & butter jobs at Didcot and definitely saved the depot from closure after steam went. Most of use were sure close would happen soon after the end of steam. The power station saved the day.

Likewise, we thought that Didcot depot would close if the coal went but thankfully the depot continues to thrive, if on a smaller scale as previously. One of my last jobs before retiement was around the power station.

Hello Bill EWS,
I'm very glad a Didcot chap is here on the Forum. There must be a reunion annually down there? I'm down here in deep Norfolk so I'm not in touch till now with anyone from Didcot. What I think you are remembering about the scrap locos is right in general but wrong in the details. I've got the pressure gauge off 9702 that was coupled behind 7813 that was working the Fly and the brake gauge and steam heating gauge off 4952. I wanted the pressure gauge but that had already gone. I can't write another book here - but the reason for wanting he three gauges of 4952 was because of an epic run that Clarence Benford made with it AFTER it had been WITHDRAWN for scrap but Reg Warr, or whoever made decisions at Didcot shed kept it for a Pilot. Do you recall Wilf Butler and his son Steve? In 1954 Wilf taught me to drive on 5643 and various Panniers. I was 12. I think I know who you are. Chris Preece was your driver and you two made an epic run to Padd wih a 92 on an 'A" one day. Roger Eldersfield timed you.

Better go - my goodness those were happy days!

Status
Not open for further replies.