• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Folks,
All too often l feel that Railway personel get a hard time from unhappy passengers for whatever reasons. In my travels though l have also found some members of staff to be more than capable of dealing with any situation and be extreamley professional, polite, informative etc. l have also came accross a few characters within the industry.

One character for me was a Virgin CSA. This guy worked the Glasgow to Euston Pendo Service. He was a heavy set guy, had great interpersonal skills, very helpful, funny and nothing was a problem for him. He didnt look the typical steward however what a worker and character. A gem of a guy and an asset for Virgin Trains. l sure there are other characters within the network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyMarkD

I was recently on HS1 and the guard was a complete character. He asked every passenger individually if they knew their onward travel connection arrangements, and took a great deal of care that nobody was in any uncertainty.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
There is a fantastic SWT guard (Basingstoke based I think), who is lovely and polite, funny yet informative on the PA and generally a really nice person. I think his first name is Daniel (regular SWT travellers will probably know who I mean).

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I had a good guard on Birmingham New St-Leicester the other week, having a laugh and a joke with everybody as he passed, and did funny but clear announcements. A credit to XC.

bAzTNM

I wish we could get some of these people on the local Scotrail routes in Glasgow.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The best RPI I have ever seen on a train was between Airdrie and Glasgow. I shall say no more, but he was a very entertaining and funny character!

CC 72100

Established Member
Had a good one the other day on FGW, joking with the passangers, and giving very detailed information on what platform/what time for their onward journey etc.

Established Member
I've had a really good train manager on SouthEastern high speed, very polite and asked everyone how they were etc. I find Northern's staff to be quite friendly and professional a lot of the time as well.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
'Overcoat Joe' used to sit on one of the benches in blazing Summer heat at South Harrow in one of those old heavy Crombie overcoats, reading the papers he had picked up. Regular passengers kept away from him as he got quite snarly if they ever interrupted his reading to ask him anything about the trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.