• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Welshman

Established Member
Hull to York?

Hull of boat,
Mark Selby,
Church Fenton,
York [Yorker]
Can't work out what the black dog represents though!

Edit - a very wild guess - "Ulleskelf" is Scandinavian in origin; "kelf" is Icelandic for "calf"
Is that supposed to be a calf?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hull to York?

Hull of boat,
Mark Selby,
Church Fenton,
York [Yorker]

Edit - a very wild guess - "Ulleskelf" is Scandinavian in origin; "kelf" is Icelandic for "calf"
I hope you’re right because that’s all pretty clever. ;)

backontrack

Established Member
Hull to York?

Hull of boat,
Mark Selby,
Church Fenton,
York [Yorker]

You're right, it's Hull to York :)

The dog was part of the 'Fenton' clue, and was referencing this viral video from a few years back:

Anyway, it's your floor.

Welshman

Established Member
In which poem, and by whom, can be found the following lines? (two per poem):-

1) "All windows down, all cushions hot, all sense of being in a hurry gone" & "A slow and stopping curve southwards we kept"

2) "The gradient's against her, but she's on time" & "But a jug in a bedroom gently shakes"

3) "There's a whisper down the line at 11.39" & "There's a funny little basin you're supposed to wash your face in"

4) "The steam hissed, someone cleared his throat" & "No one left and no one came on the bare platform"

Enjoy.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok,
1) Not sure but familiar.
2) is the classic ‘Night Mail’ by WH Auden.
3) I think this is ‘Shimbleshanks the Railway Cat’ by T.S.Elliot.
4) Not sure.

Welshman

Established Member
Ok,
1) Not sure but familiar.
2) is the classic ‘Night Mail’ by WH Auden.
3) I think this is ‘Shimbleshanks the Railway Cat’ by T.S.Elliot.
4) Not sure.
Correct with 2 & 3
As you have supplied two answers, please set the next question.

BTW (1) is "The Whitsun Weddings" by Philip Larkin.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Correct with 2 & 3
As you have supplied two answers, please set the next question.

BTW (1) is "The Whitsun Weddings" by Philip Larkin.
As I’m painting a million windows today and won’t have time to check, I’ll have to say:
Open floor...

Calthrop

Established Member
I'll take your kindly-opened floor, if I may.

I recently had the good fortune to get a couple of days' use of a time machine. I set it to 90 years ago, and undertook the following rail journey.

Starting from Gruenberg, I travelled up the main line through Rothenburg, to the main-line junction -- whence routes in various directions -- of Reppen. Further per main line, same direction, to Jaedickendorf, where fancying something different, and a spell of branch-line travel; I switched to branch trains, and proceeded thereby, to Stargard. Doubled back there a little to Altdamm junction, on the eastern edge of a big town. Thence up lesser-main, and secondary, lines to Gollnow, Plathe, and ultimately Greifenberg; where I changed to a narrow-gauge train to travel to the small "bathing resort" of Horst, on the shore of a large natural body of water -- in which I went for a swim.

Where in Europe (as precisely as possible, please) did this journey take place?

Calthrop

Established Member
You're very much on the right track. Could you flesh that answer out a bit more? (N.B. -- journey took place in 1928.)

Calthrop

Established Member
You're quite right -- your "S-place" is the big town mentioned. If you'd just outline "how come" the various communities had German-type names ninety years ago, but now don't...

backontrack

Established Member
You're quite right -- your "S-place" is the big town mentioned. If you'd just outline "how come" the various communities had German-type names ninety years ago, but now don't...
Oh, yes, Germany still had remnants of the Kingdom of Prussia (even after the Treaty of Versailles), and so Stettin was part of Germany.

Calthrop

Established Member
Stettin, and much east and south-east thereof, remained as German territory -- with an overwhelmingly German population -- after World War I. Drastic re-adjustments in 1945 involved these areas becoming part of Poland (with expulsion of the German inhabitants). My described journey was through part of this territory: Zielona Gora (Gruenberg), to Niechorze (Horst) on the Baltic Sea (Altdamm Junction is now Szczecin Dabie).

Congrats: it's your turn to make dispositions as to the fate of nations...

Calthrop

Established Member
(Distances approximate): this rail system, with a maximum total length of 160 km., enacted its first closure of a section in 1935. Half a dozen years later, the plan was to abandon another large part of the system, reducing it to its most-used geographical "core" -- about two-sevenths of maximum extent -- which had opened significantly earlier than the system's more extensive remainder.

Factors connected with World War II reprieved most of the part "targeted" above, for another half-dozen years; after which this planned closure, was achieved. The "core" part continued in use for yet another half-dozen years, after which it too was abandoned. (The undertaking's road-using "descendant" expired -- to much local displeasure -- some sixty years later on.)

Please identify the railway concerned.

Calthrop

Established Member
Not that I'm predictable, or anything... :s

L & LSR it is ! martinsh, your floor.