• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I had a thought that, given the specific date quoted, it might be the case that rail traffic was very important to a small country until a new form of transport was opened. I took a look at Panama, but my dates are way off, as its canal was opened in 1914.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member

I've been out for a few hours -- back now, and checking responses -- yes, Cuba it is. The Wiki entry on Ferrocarriles de Cuba says "By 1958, Cuba had more railway trackage than any other country" -- admittedly adding in small type, "Citation needed". Still, although -- as previously mentioned -- Cuba had totally not been on my radar in that connection; it sounds very believable. The island has a quite dense and going-nearly-everywhere public rail system; plus certainly had sixty years ago -- and for a few decades after that date -- an immense quantity of trackage dedicated to the needs of the sugar industry, thus basically in use only for a quite short period of the year.

Thanks, everyone, for suggestions; and, Comrade Cowley, you get a reward of a (virtual) triple Daiquiri, and the floor.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well good lord.
I just thought about the variety of stuff they had over there that I remembered from reading books over the years.
Erm I’m just going to have to say open floor at the moment, a bit tied up at the moment

Calthrop

Established Member
In times past, South Africa's railways were well-known for using in desert / semi-desert regions of the country where water was scarce; steam locos (class 25 4-8-4's), with specially-designed large and long tenders which in addition to a tender's primary purpose, were ingeniously fixed-up mechanically, to take in the loco's exhaust steam and condense it into water: thus saving on the amount of water needing to be supplied from outside.

There has been another country with large water-poor expanses, which during its steam era did on a large scale, the same thing -- i.e. locos equipped with condensing tenders. Which country was it?

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint -- re the country concerned: at the time when this phenomenon obtained there, taking an appreciable amount of interest in it -- unless that were in the course of one's job -- would have been likely to get one into trouble.

Calthrop

Established Member
Correct: the USSR -- indeed central Siberia; parts of the Urals; the north Caucasus; and the now independent Central Asian republics. The great majority of locos "condenserised", were 2-10-0 of class SO.

Your motive-power-modernisation programme, Comrade.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'll take this back, and move from the erecting shop to the station bookstall.

Who wrote these railway related books:
"The Railway Man"
"The Trains Now Departed"
"Night Trains"
"Fire and Steam"
"Small Island by Little Train"
"Red for Danger"

Best of luck!

krus_aragon

Established Member
"Fire and Steam" - Christian Wolmar
"Red for Danger" - Tom Rolt

I don't think the others have graced my bookcase yet.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Some clues for you:

"The Railway Man" is about one man's experiences during the Second World War
"The Trains Now Departed" has two companion books - "On the Slow Train" and "On the Slow Train Again"
"Night Trains" is written by an author who is also responsible for a railway detective series.
"Small Island by Little Train" is written by an author who is also responsible for books about Lost Cricket Grounds and Lost Breweries.

steevp

The Railway Man - I've been struggling all day, knew it was Eric something - Eric Lomas or Lomax?
The trains now departed - I have both slow train books on my reading pile bookcase, but can't remember the author (and going upstairs to check would be cheating)
Night Trains - Mr Marston or Mr Martin from the clue, depending whether you mean the writer of Colbeck the railway detective or Jim Stringer railway policemen (both excellent series IMHO)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Railway Man - I've been struggling all day, knew it was Eric something - Eric Lomas or Lomax?
The trains now departed - I have both slow train books on my reading pile bookcase, but can't remember the author (and going upstairs to check would be cheating)
Night Trains - Mr Marston or Mr Martin from the clue, depending whether you mean the writer of Colbeck the railway detective or Jim Stringer railway policemen (both excellent series IMHO)

Yes, Eric Lomax wrote "The Railwayman", and Andrew Martin is the author of "Night Trains" (and the "Jim Stringer" detective series.

That's two, so you're tying with Mr Aragon ...if you want to go upstairs, feel free .... !!

krus_aragon

Established Member
Some clues for you:

"The Trains Now Departed" has two companion books - "On the Slow Train" and "On the Slow Train Again"

That's sparked a memory: I may not have read them, but I've sold several of his books: lovely 1930s railway poster style landscapes on the cover. I think the author was Mark or Martin Williams?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
That's sparked a memory: I may not have read them, but I've sold several of his books: lovely 1930s railway poster style landscapes on the cover. I think the author was Mark or Martin Williams?

You have the right surname but not the right Christian name .... oh, go on then, I'm feeling generous - it is Michael. 3 - 2!

So, who is the cricket, brewing and railway author?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
So, who is the cricket, brewing and railway author?

I'll call this one a draw between me and the Forum .. Chris Arnott is the author of "Small Island by Little Train".

On the basis that he got three out of the five answers, I'll give the bookshelf to Mr Aragon ... well done!

krus_aragon

Established Member
Here's one from the history shelf:

How did Dr William George Malton (1774 - 1835) almost change the course of railway history?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Was this something to do with the restriction of the speed that a train could go in the early days?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Did he object to the creation of an integral part of the Great Western Railway, which would have meant that the line that we know now would have been very different?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is the word "course" in the question a clue? Was he a landowner objecting to the proposed route of the Liverpool and Manchester?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Is the word "course" in the question a clue? Was he a landowner objecting to the proposed route of the Liverpool and Manchester?
"Course" wasn't meant as a clue; I only meant that history could have been different because of him.

You are, however, correct to be looking at the Liverpool and Manchester Railway.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Attempting to save the life of William Huskisson ?
Yes! But before the event.

William Huskisson had recently had kidney surgery, and was advised by Dr Malton to cancel all his planned engagements in order to recover. Huskisson, as MP for Liverpool, felt he had to attend the opening of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway in spite this. Had he listened to Malton, the opening day may not have been marred and disrupted by the death of a local dignity.

Your floor.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'll take this if I may, please.

The following are all codes for GWR carriage stock and vans - but what stock is represented by them?

Chafer
Giant
Locowag
Monster
Python A
Totem