• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

D6968

No, because names get re used, I think there’s been something like 4 Ark Royals through time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Sorry -- forgot that it was my floor. Nothing immediately ready to ask: open floor, please.

Calthrop

Established Member
No response in two and a half days, to above "open floor" invitation; might I venture another question?

Same format as a couple of previous ones of mine: theme, there having been in Britain at "rail peak" about a hundred years ago, a fair number of same-name passenger stations, serving settlements with the same name, but in different parts of the country. Here, to the best of my knowledge, places-with-stations in Great Britain with just two of the same name, are involved.

"Drill" as before -- I give for each of a pair, its pre-Grouping owning company, and the county ("past / present, as appropriate") of its location. Most stations concerned, have lost their passenger service: if station still passenger-served, the owning company's name is shown in bold. Also for each pair, a hint of some description, in italics. The answer re each pair: just the place-name -- "Mangelwurzelton" or whatever it might be.

(1) North Eastern Railway; Yorkshire (North Riding)

Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway; Lincolnshire

Advice to birds: continue with the necessary process for renewal of plumage

(2) Preston & Wyre Joint Railway (LNW / L&Y); Lancashire

London, Brighton & South Coast Railway; West Sussex

"On one's ownsome"

(3) Midland Railway; Derbyshire

and

Two different lines, of different companies, with stations serving this same settlement in Shropshire:

Great Western Railway; and Cambrian Railways

Much-loved economic migrant with feline chum

(4) Great Western Railway; Denbighshire / Wrexham County Borough

Great Northern Railway; Yorkshire (West Riding)

Stars of catwalk (recent times) and Formula 1 (a bit longer ago)

(5) London & North Western Railway; Cumberland [Cumbria]

Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Railway; Kirkcudbright -- now Dumfries & Galloway

Statuesque transatlantic rural-melody exponent

(6) Great Eastern Railway; Cambridgeshire

London & North Western Railway; Northamptonshire

Farmer's respective places for crop-storage, and water

Calthrop

Established Member
3: Whittington (High and Low Levels).

And Whittington, Derbyshire: on the Midland Ry.'s former North Midland Railway main line, near Chesterfield. But Whittington it is for sure -- three down, three to go.

Gloster

Established Member
Which was the first Modernisation Plan, main-line diesel loco to be withdrawn? (If you don’t know the number I will make do with the class and the reason (or location) for the withdrawal.)

D6130

Established Member
Thanks.

Which was the first English Electric Type 4 (later to become class 40) locomotive to be withdrawn and in which year?

(Be careful with your answers as it was not withdrawn in the same year as the accident which caused its demise!)

Bonus points for the location and year of the accident.

Gloster

Established Member
I would guess it was D322 because I think D200 became 40 122. The accident was just south of Warrington and I will guess 1967.

D6130

Established Member
I would guess it was D322 because I think D200 became 40 122. The accident was just south of Warrington and I will guess 1967.
Correct. The accident occurred just South of Acton Grange Junction on 13th May 1966, when D322 was hauling the overnight Euston-Stranraer sleeping car express. The preceding Wallerscote (Northwich) to Ravenhead (St Helens) unfitted soda ash train suffered a breakaway on the rising gradient leading to the Manchester Ship Canal viaduct and 29 of the 32 heavily-laden Presflo wagons, plus the brakevan, rolled backwards and collided with D322, which was slowing to stop at the signal protecting the block section in advance occupied by the freight train. The freight guard jumped clear onto the embankment and escaped with minor injuries....but the impact stove-in the front of the loco, pushing the bodywork up off the bogie and the rear cab rode up onto the leading coach - which was luckily a mail van - before the loco burst into flames from its damaged fuel tank. Only four of the hundred or so passengers on board the sleeper suffered minor injuries but, very sadly, the Carlisle-based driver and secondman were both killed instantly and it proved impossible to recover their bodies until the remains of the loco had been removed to Crewe Works. Amazingly - considering the catastrophic damage - the loco was considered for a damage repair assessment, but was officially withdrawn early in 1967.

Your turn to signal the breakdown train.

Gloster

Established Member
British Railways Diagram 1/214 12 Ton Covered Goods Wagon had a unique and distinctive feature. What was it? (I have omitted two words from the official description.)