• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway mile high club

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
I have never heard of such a thing, but I wonder if there is a railway equivalent to the 'mile high club'? If not, should there be one and what should it be called?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We had this thread crop up a couple of months ago. As I recall one name suggested that I quite liked was 'metre high club'.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I have never heard of such a thing, but I wonder if there is a railway equivalent to the 'mile high club'? If not, should there be one and what should it be called?

You do post the oddest things!

It'd probably be the 'Quick one in the loo" club.

LE Greys

Established Member
My version is "Steel Rail Club".
I take it sleepers don't really count, too easy, but the stories I've heard about compartment stock... ;)

4SRKT

Established Member
It was definitively the Metre High Club on here recently, as ainsworth says. IIRR rightly I started a thread about copping off on the sleeper, and whether in fact hoping this would happen is a large part of the reason people go on the sleeper in the first place (it's certainly true in my case). I postulated that getting one's end away on the sleeper was the gricer equivalent of the Mile High Club, to which some wag suggested the name 'Metre High Club'!

This term deserves to become a fixed part of Basherspeak IYAM.

Railsigns

Established Member
The narrow gauge line equivalent might be the "Two Feet Apart Club".

4SRKT

Established Member
In order to establish some rules for the Metre High Club, do you get extra points for joining it with a stranger rather than taking your wife along for the purpose of joining?

Ivo

Established Member
Sigh... Call me a killjoy if you will, but sometimes you lot really fit the bill of the average British male a bit too well. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that matters is that I am all but certain to never join this "Metre High Club" of yours. I need to join the "Ground Level Club" first :(

If you're wondering why I'm "ruining" the thread, the real reason I posted was this: As pointed out, I'm sure there was a thread about this not so long ago. But I can find no trace of it.

EDIT, a few days later and having (predictably?) been the source of a flirting scandal in this very thread: Sorry for the pessimism guys; even I am enjoying this now! And even I can't realistically claim that nothing will ever happen...!

Second Edit: This thread was a lot of fun. And for all we know, maybe this forum will spawn a relationship one day? :)

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm yet to join the Metre High Club myself, although I did come very close to doing so on an NIR 80 class DEMU forming the 14:40 [London]Derry > Belfast Central between Ballymoney and Ballymena one day in 1993.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Found the thread Ivo, it was called Caledonian Sleeper, started by Fred26, last post 17th November. Cannot link it, on my phone.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That may well be correct. Either way, the term 'Metre High Club' was born!

It is the club of choice for the not so discerning enthusiast/staff/commuter.....:)

4SRKT

Established Member
If you can call getting a bit on the Caledonian Sleeper classy!

Frankly I'd call it a miracle given the collection of unshaven blokes and rickety old crones that were on last time I went.

Imagine if you were on the Night Riviera and things were going well with a lady, but you were torn between taking her back to your mobile Passion Palace, and leaning out of the window shouting "my lords" at the 'snatcher and flailing with impunity under the cover of pitch darkness. What a choice to have to make.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Frankly I'd call it a miracle given the collection of unshaven blokes and rickety old crones that were on last time I went.

Imagine if you were on the Night Riviera and things were going well with a lady, but you were torn between taking her back to your mobile Passion Palace, and leaning out of the window shouting "my lords" at the 'snatcher and flailing with impunity under the cover of pitch darkness. What a choice to have to make.

I know which I'd choose.

scotsman

Established Member
TBH so do I, but would it have been a more difficult choice in the olden days when 37s hauled sleepers in Scotland?

Well, would you have been able to tell what was going on, with some of the noises some of those bashers used to male?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
very entertaining read, when i jokily brought up this topic (not randomly a conversation did lead to it) with my girlfriend she just glared at me :)
But to be fair i think she thought i meant now and we were on a 142....

Status
Not open for further replies.