• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Actually this is true, I was refused a ticket at 8:30am this morning on the railcard before the guard noticed that it was a Disabled Persons

You can use it - but the minimum charge is £12, so a lot of tickets it's not worth it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Myth 70: Chiltern can do no wrong

route:oxford

Established Member
Myth 71:

The "double post prevention system" is a useful tool that works well.

Striker

Myth 69:

I didn't knock the back out of two nubile female student nurses at the same time on a KX to Leeds train in 1997. :lol:;)

Flamingo

Established Member
Myth 72: If you are STANDING in the First Class carriage, you don't need to buy a First Class ticket

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Actually this is true, I was refused a ticket at 8:30am this morning on the railcard before the guard noticed that it was a Disabled Persons
No, it's not true, hence it's a myth. There is a minimum fare before 10am except in Jul and Aug, not a prohibition on use.

Flamingo

Established Member
I had to disillusion a few people tonight about this. The fact that there was over 100 empty seats on the train didn't seem to mean much to them, as they "couldn't get past all the people (six - I counted them) standing at the bar"

thewolf

Myth: 29
The facelift they are giving Birmingham New Street station is really going to work. I don't know if any of you have seen the 'improved' look on Platform 1 yet?

:|

I was rather bemused by this also...

In 9 months of work, it seems to have recieved a coat of paint, new signs, a lot of plasterboard, and some chicken wire on the roof....

gnolife

Established Member
I am sure you will agree that most of the rest of the North West has poor stock too: Middlesbrough-Whitby, Colne-Preston or Southport-Chester on a 142 anyone. The North needs 150s as the next step up: if I see 150s on the 0740 CYT-PRE tomorrow, I'll be happy!

Myth 73: Middlesbrough and Whitby are in the North West :D

scotsman

Established Member
Myth: Aberdour is pronounced Abehdoor (call TrainTracker!)

Hydro

Established Member
Myth: According to Wikipedia, the NMT has "a vibrating platform close to the rails, detecting missing Pandrol clips".

It bloody doesn't. The hot plate doesn't even work.

Crossover

Established Member
Myth 77 - Doors on trains will open as if by magic (non LUL)
Myth 78 - When boarding a train (especially at terminal stations) you can only use the first coach you come to (more space for me then :D)
Myth 79 - If you move down inside a busy carriage to let more people on,you will still be able to get off at your stop
Myth 80 - You find your reserved seat and are able to sit there

moonrakerz

Myth 72: If you are STANDING in the First Class carriage, you don't need to buy a First Class ticket

I once heard a ticket inspector telling a standing first class ticket holder that he WAS travelling first class and that if he wanted a refund he should go and stand in standard class !

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
London Underground Myth: we fellow travellers don't mind being delayed by people trying to board as the doors are closing.

Public Myth: if someone appears to be showing a remote interest in a railway related object, they must be a socially-inadequate trainspotter. Even if they're obviously not.

Steam photograher Myth: it's OK to trespass on other people's property, on National Rail property or by the active lineside, because (puffs out chest) I am a STEAM photographer.

me123

Established Member
Myth 83: Guards/Conductors/Ticket examiners/whatever they're called are required to memorise the entire NR timetable as part of their training. They are also meant to have psychic powers and know about delays, cancellations and platform allocations at all stations up and down the country.

cuccir

Established Member
Myth 83: everyone in first class has paid more for their tickets than people in standard

Striker

Keep the moaning coming! Maybe one of you might actually like to post a myth at some point too.

scotsman

Established Member
85: Rail Staff are used to and don't mind being treated like a punchbag for obscure reasons by the public

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
85: Rail Staff are used to and don't mind being treated like a punchbag for obscure reasons by the public

I wouldn't say that's a Myth or a widely held misconception.

me123

Established Member
Myth 86: A passenger is entitled to travel on a child ticket if they are under the age of 18.
Myth 87: First Scotrail and Firstbus Glasgow are the same company
Myth 88: SPT is a TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.