• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Cambridge has recently gained the 'Old Ticket Office'* in the GER station building (accessed from the square outside the station) to complement the adjacent Station Tavern (itself quite new).

*Slightly dubious claim - as far as I'm aware it was only the ticket office for about 12-18 months during the recent refurbishment. It's quite nice inside (if small - albeit seating outside in nice weather), so will forgive them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

laseandre

Established Member
Alexandria has the Station Bar, which is okay at best, though tbh I'd stay away if you're not vaguely local (and if you are, it's mostly a Celtic leaning pub, so beware if you're not that way inclined)
The Tullie Inn is right next to Balloch station, it's become a bit expensive since the refurbishment a few years ago, but if you're doing the branch, pop in for a pint!

On Moderation
I wouldn't recommend Stalybridge. On my visit it was very expensive, the staff were rude, the beer was terrible and it wasn't particularly clean. Slightly more pleasant is Manningtree, decent little bar with a dartboard. Best pub I've visited on a station is Porthmadog, if you have time to go there make sure you visit Spooners Bar at the Porthmadog Harbour station. Absolutely wonderful pub with a great view across the estuary and a fine selection of ales.
Based on my personal experience, I would suggest that you have transposed ‘Stalybridge’ and ‘Manningtree’.

On Moderation
Indeed it does require a longer walk at the moment. The official walking route is thus: Head out the front of the station and towards the glass footbridge to the bus station. Immediately before the bridge, take the diverging path to the left and then immediately right to go under the footbridge. Walk along the ring road to the next junction, and turn right under the railway. Once under the railway turn right again and walk alongside the arches, past the Premier Inn and the Low Level station, to the pub...

Unofficially, and at your own risk, there is a quicker route. Once outside the station take an immediate left into the car park/drop off area. Once past the car park, there's a narrow curving road to your left which leads under the railway. Once under, the pub is on your right. This is not signposted as the official walking route as the road is narrow and there is no pavement under the bridge. It's much quicker, but keep your wits about you!
I visited Great Western last week and asked station staff at Wolves the quickest route as the ‘turn right’ route was closed. Straight through the car park and under the Railway was the answer. Appeared to be a pavement throughout and far quicker than the previous walk. Proves a turn to the left is better than a turn to the right.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I would very much agree. Stalybridge station buffet is excellent.

I'll third that. The only negative comment I have is that it on occasions it can be too busy. As I've not been to Manningtree, I can't comment on that place though!

steve_brown

I'll third that. The only negative comment I have is that it on occasions it can be too busy. As I've not been to Manningtree, I can't comment on that place though!

I'm not sure Manningtree is up there with Stalybridge, but there's always 2-3 real ales on tap (including 1-2 guest ales) and a decent selection of bottles etc. Also does an excellent breakfast which attracts non-rail-users as well. We've only lived there for a couple of years so not sure what it was like before that but I wouldn't have a bad word to say.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I'm not sure Manningtree is up there with Stalybridge, but there's always 2-3 real ales on tap (including 1-2 guest ales) and a decent selection of bottles etc. Also does an excellent breakfast which attracts non-rail-users as well. We've only lived there for a couple of years so not sure what it was like before that but I wouldn't have a bad word to say.

I should add it to my list really then - I need to get a visit down that way for a few pics before the 90s are finished. :)

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve not read every page, but there is a decent if slightly archaic pub on Cleethorpes station that has a good selection of beers.

Wychwood93

I’ve not read every page, but there is a decent if slightly archaic pub on Cleethorpes station that has a good selection of beers.
Ditto re. reading every page - the Fullers 'Ashurst' adjacent to Ashurst New Forest station, you get what Fullers does, good quality ales etc. at Fullers prices. Assorted hostelries on the 'up', north, side of Brockenhurst - less than five minutes walk yield three or so, variable quality. The Railway at Christchurch - down side exit, left at Stour Road and cross and to the right. Locals pub, limited choice. Possible then to move onwards to Pokesdown and out of the down side exit and across to The Bell. Previously the 'New Bell', when the place was a dive. Not been in there under its new guise. Next along would be Branksome - The Railway Hotel opposite the down side entrance - good choice of ales. A popular wet sales pub. The Poole Beer Festival is held at the church hall a couple of minutes walk away - see CAMRA East Dorset. Parkstone now has The Cow on the station - not been there under the current regime, but assume you have to exit before going in. Anyway, if you happen to get 'caught short' at any of the above locations, you where to go!

fireftrm

The Waiting Room micro-pub at Whitby Station, 6 constatnly changing real ales (no Doomed Bar or Greene-in-the-gills King here) always at least one dark ale as well as a strongish (5% +) and 14 ciders. No lager. No spirits. Proper bar where you really have to talk to people. Dog friendly. Doesn't open Monday and Tuesday. 4.30 - 9, 12 -5 Sundays. Utterly brilliant.

fireftrm

And fror the Trans-Pennine ale lovers after the Stalybridge (which is excellent) its worth going to the East of them thar hills to Huddersfield for the Kings Head and Head of Steam, both in the building at either side of the entrance and 20 ales between them. Further east for the West Riding Refreshment Rooms at Dewsbury Station, no other on station bars until you reach York - the York Tap isn't a bad end to the journey (before you head to Whitby of course) and another 18 ales on tap. Of course if you look at the central section it has pubs close to stations that are popular enough to have its own ale trail - http://www.realaletrail.net/

class303

Staying at Euston, the Euston Tap and its sister in the Euston station gatehouses have a wide range of craft (and real ales). Extraordinary buildings for a pub, but they're bigger than they look

Around the corner, the Bree Louise is a brilliant real ale pub, with a massive selection of interesting ales

Isn't the Bree Louise now closed due to HS2 development that side of Euston? The William Hill certainly has gone.

kje7812

The Waiting Room micro-pub at Whitby Station, 6 constatnly changing real ales (no Doomed Bar or Greene-in-the-gills King here) always at least one dark ale as well as a strongish (5% +) and 14 ciders. No lager. No spirits. Proper bar where you really have to talk to people. Dog friendly. Doesn't open Monday and Tuesday. 4.30 - 9, 12 -5 Sundays. Utterly brilliant.
Ooh, now that's my kind of pub.

Mikey C

Established Member

Mikey C

Established Member
Isn't the Bree Louise now closed due to HS2 development that side of Euston? The William Hill certainly has gone.

The Exmouth Arms isn't a bad pub, it's just outside the HS2 zone, so drinking there you'll get a close view of the demolition work going on.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

It would be so much better if they were allowed a few tables on the platform area !

Mikey C

Established Member
While I guess neither would be amongst the very best pubs mentioned here, I was quite surprised that Swindon has TWO pubs outside the station, so you have a choice! I had a quick pint of Arkells in The Great Western Hotel tonight, might try the other pub next time.

Jimini

Established Member
While I guess neither would be amongst the very best pubs mentioned here, I was quite surprised that Swindon has TWO pubs outside the station, so you have a choice! I had a quick pint of Arkells in The Great Western Hotel tonight, might try the other pub next time.

Has the Queen's Tap (the other one) reopened yet? I was there the other week and it was being gutted / refurbished.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The Exmouth Arms isn't a bad pub, it's just outside the HS2 zone, so drinking there you'll get a close view of the demolition work going on.

A pub with a long history of railway staff meetings and "deal doing" - not so much now alas.

davetheguard

Established Member
I stumbled on one yesterday by chance, but it's next to a heritage railway station, so I don't know if it counts....

It's at Bishop's Lydeard in Somerset, terminus of the West Somerset Railway from Minehead. It's the Quantock Brewery Tap, and is located in a light industrial unit two minutes' walk from the station and the bus stop for the Taunton railway station to Minehead bus. It's open Monday to Saturday daytimes i.e. when the brewery & shop is running plus Friday & Saturday evenings. More details in CAMRA's 2019 Good Beer Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.