• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ran through a level crossing and it is my fault. What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I’m just worried that I will receive a ban or something serious.

To be banned it would have to go to Court, and from my experience that is very unlikely. I suspect that if any action is taken then you will just get a Fixed Penalty Notice. That is generally the way the matter is dealt with, since it is quick, simple and not expensive.
The only time I nearly had to go to Court was because the driver objected to the FPN and thought he knew better, pleaded Not Guilty, and then changed his plea to Guilty at the last moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Thank you! You are so extremely helpful. Do you reckon I risk being given more than just points + fine? Sorry if I come across as really panicky but this is my first job out of University and it is dependant on me having a driving license.
My guess is that IF the matter has been reported the worst that you will get will be a FPN, so a fine and points. Unless you already have a lot of points on your licence then you will not be losing it.
You also need to note that if you do get points then you will have to inform your own insurance company of them.

Also, I have spoken with my Fleet department and in-line manager about this and they have obviously said to be mindful whilst driving a company vehicle but other than that, I should not worry.
Good to hear and a very sensible outcome.

Bungle158

Deliberate misuse of a level crossing is a criminal offence. Your actions could have led to your own death and that of others.

If there are repercussions, you face a points deduction on your license and a potential criminal record.

If l sound unsympathetic, it's because l am; having witnessed the aftermath of a crossing incident.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Deliberate misuse of a level crossing is a criminal offence. Your actions could have led to your own death and that of others.

If there are repercussions, you face a points deduction on your license and a potential criminal record.

If l sound unsympathetic, it's because l am; having witnessed the aftermath of a crossing incident.

Oh dear!
Even as an ex-signaller I'm afraid that response is a bit OTT.
And to be factually correct, points are ADDED to a licence, not deducted, and I'm not sure that Crossing Light offences are recordable on a criminal record.

throwaway1211

To be banned it would have to go to Court, and from my experience that is very unlikely. I suspect that if any action is taken then you will just get a Fixed Penalty Notice. That is generally the way the matter is dealt with, since it is quick, simple and not expensive.
The only time I nearly had to go to Court was because the driver objected to the FPN and thought he knew better, pleaded Not Guilty, and then changed his plea to Guilty at the last moment.

Lets hope its only a fine. Whatever the punishment, I will accept. Thank you!

I totally understand and I wouldn't expect any sympathy for what I did. Sorry you had to witness that.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member

I think if you read from the start of the thread, the OP has being nothing but full of remorse and appolgetic. He was wrong he understands that. We all make mistakes.

To add some context, he saw it change from amber to red, the barriers themselves hadn't moved and he clearly realised he should have stopped straight away.

He wasn't swerving half barriers or dodging barriers coming down. Lets not go OTT about the what if's when the barriers where still up. He made a mistake and may be penalised. We all make mistakes.

RPI

Established Member
It all depends if the signaller reported it, it's an offence the same as jumping a traffic light and I dont believe that you can attend a course, I've dealt with one before where I was the witness and the driver went not guilty and when it went to court recieved points (cant remember if it was 3 or 6) and a £300 fine.... though the high fine was due to not guilty plea and being found guilty at trial. In all honesty if it was amber and the barriers hadn't started coming down you may well have got away with it.
You dont need me patronising you about how daft it was, you've clearly accepted that it wasnt the wisest thing to do.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I thought you would get done for it if the signals were red when you passed them (in which case I believe it is worth 12 points and goes on your licence as a TT99?)

Dave

sw1ller

Established Member
Quite frankly, and I’m speaking as a train driver here, your attitude and honesty speaks volumes, I only wish more people were like you. Yes you made a mistake, but your response to the situation and the guilt you obviously feel is what I hope all drivers get. Unfortunately I think you’re in the minority. Thank you for taking this so seriously.

GB

Established Member
I thought you would get done for it if the signals were red when you passed them (in which case I believe it is worth 12 points and goes on your licence as a TT99?)

Dave

No. TT99 is only after you have attained 12 points after the totting up procedure. Jumping a light at a level crossing is still a standard 3 points but can be increased by the courts (or given a charge of dangerous/careless driving) based on the severity of the incident. To the OP, I would try not to worry too much..very doubtful you will get more than 3 points IF you were actually caught.

InTheEastMids

Quite frankly, and I’m speaking as a train driver here, your attitude and honesty speaks volumes, I only wish more people were like you. Yes you made a mistake, but your response to the situation and the guilt you obviously feel is what I hope all drivers get. Unfortunately I think you’re in the minority. Thank you for taking this so seriously.

Totally agree with this. Whilst a lot of the thread has covered any potential legal consequences, we are all human and mistakes happen, and OP has been open about this.

My employer would treat this as a SHE (safety, health & environment) incident, a near miss (or near-hit), realising that simply beating up the OP doesn't really achieve anything.

I've never done anything similar on a level crossing but when I have gone through traffic lights on amber, it's often because I'm feeling under (often self-imposed) pressure to get somewhere quickly for an important reason, to keep to a plan. Given that OP seems to have acted out of character and taken a big risk, I wonder if they were in this situation. We are all capable of getting ourselves into this situation and screwing up.

Stuart-h

Hi all,

first of all I would like to make it clear that I am 100% disappointed in myself for doing what I have done but at the time, I did not fully grasp the dangers of my actions. This morning I ran through a level crossing as it was flashing amber and I am sure it started flashing red once I was crossing it. Even more stupidly, I was driving a marked company vehicle.

I have a few questions:

1. Will NR investigate and report this to my Company/authorities?

2. If so, what are the usual timescales?

Many thanks to all.

As far as I'm aware the yellow would be the same as a traffic light.

Some crossings have a camera or cameras on both sides off the crossing. I don't know if they become "live" so to speak when the yellow light is on.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I think you’ll be okay...

It takes a number of things to have happened before you’ll get the letter in the mail, or a copper at your door.

1) The controlling Signaller or Crossing Keeper if it was a CCTV or locally controlled crossing to see you.

2) Continuing on from above, be arsed to report it.

3) Be arsed to report it, and catch your registration number.

4) If CCTV it be in colour and be good enough to capture your registration number.

5) The CCTV be at an angle to capture your registration number, there not set up for this purpose so I doubt it.

The only real chance you have of feeling the weight of the law is either the crossing has a red light camera like a speed camera, or you’ve a super keen locally based at the crossing signaller/crossing keeper who can read and remember a registration number in the seconds it takes to cross.

Just don’t be a bloody fool in future and learn from your mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.