• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

louis97

Established Member
I only just realised that RTT hides non-existent coaches in short-form Mk4s. Now that's clever.
eg. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C85220/2021-10-21/detailed

(Shame that the Coach B image isn't the reversed/_rev one, but I think only a small minority of us would care about that!)
RTT doesn't do that, the data itself contains the set formation.

I have had it before where coach letters have been mismatched, the system had the formation with C and D switched around. The train itself was advertised with the correct formation on the set, however the reservations on the trains were also setup for the mismatched formation (suspect it gets the data for what coach is what from the same source). So all the reservations for D were in the supposed unreserved coach C, and Coach D had everything unreserved.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Day

Is it lack of data, or me being stupid, but why do some train paths show the mileage down the left hand side and some don't? Clicked on three departures from Edinburgh - the trains to London and Helensburgh have mileages but the one to Aberdeen doesn't. Just wondering....

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is it lack of data, or me being stupid, but why do some train paths show the mileage down the left hand side and some don't? Clicked on three departures from Edinburgh - the trains to London and Helensburgh have mileages but the one to Aberdeen doesn't. Just wondering....
It's down to whether the system can work out the mileages. Sometimes (more commonly when there's a reversal en-route in my experience) it can't work out what the train is doing so it can't calculate the mileage.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Ref op post 345.
Does anyone know anymore off the next train operating company to join the real time trains website yet?.
All it is this train operating company still hasant joined.
Any information would be kindly appreciated.

louis97

Established Member
Lack of data. Everytime a new timing point is added it needs adding to the data. The Aberdeen example is the signals between Aberdeen and Stonehaven. Its all in hand but there is an issue with RTT taking on the new data at present.

Peter0124

Established Member
Is this a glitch or is Avanti actually passenger calling at Hamilton Central on this service? 31st December 2021 they are diverting through there but this service in particular seems to have a booked stop at Hamilton? How would it fit in the platform?

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is this a glitch or is Avanti actually passenger calling at Hamilton Central on this service? 31st December 2021 they are diverting through there but this service in particular seems to have a booked stop at Hamilton? How would it fit in the platform?
It'll be the usual case of NR adding a stop in lieu of pathing but forgetting to make it a non-traffic stop.

This really should have been caught before making it to publication!

DanNCL

Established Member
It'll be the usual case of NR adding a stop in lieu of pathing but forgetting to make it a non-traffic stop.

This really should have been caught before making it to publication!
Its been fixed, now correctly showing as unadvertised.

pdeaves

Established Member
Has there been a recent change 'behind the scenes' in the RTT system? Last week, I could use the site without issue. This week, on two different browsers on my home system (Mac), I get the standard 'accept cookies' message after every click. It's fine on Windows. I can still use the site, but it's very frustrating!

ABB125

Established Member
Has there been a recent change 'behind the scenes' in the RTT system? Last week, I could use the site without issue. This week, on two different browsers on my home system (Mac), I get the standard 'accept cookies' message after every click. It's fine on Windows. I can still use the site, but it's very frustrating!
I believe there's been a change in the advertising system.
See here: https://blog.realtimetrains.com/2021/11/changes-to-advertising/

03_179

Established Member
I am finding the constant advert at the bottom of the pages extremely annoying.

If you are scanning down looking for something you have to close it then if you move pages and then back you have to close it again.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

If you are scanning down looking for something you have to close it then if you move pages and then back you have to close it again.
the website doesn't pay for itself...............

ExRes

Established Member

Annoying to say the least, I'm finding it takes about three times longer to get to any info as well, as things stand Rail Record is giving a far superior service

Kite159

Veteran Member

Especially as some of the adverts are for dodgy looking investment sites (advertised using a picture of a sporty female with wording like 'this photo hasn't been edited', so clearly clickbait)

03_179

Established Member
Especially as some of the adverts are for dodgy looking investment sites (advertised using a picture of a sporty female with wording like 'this photo hasn't been edited', so clearly clickbait)
I get blooming Toyota ads !

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The adverts will be 'personalised' for any given individual based on their browsing patterns (although there will be some widening of this from actual browsing history).

samuelmorris

Established Member
Yeah it's just based on browsing history - I'm being advertised the two hotel companies I recently used, one at the bottom of the page, the other at the top!
If they're inappropriate, you can report them to the ad agency that hosts them.

takno

Established Member
Yes I get that ... but there has been unobtrusive ads on there before. The new ones are obtrusive.
That's broadly what happens when nobody clicks on the unobtrusive ads, and nobody supports the site through any other means.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Annoying to say the least, I'm finding it takes about three times longer to get to any info as well, as things stand Rail Record is giving a far superior service
But that is not as easy to use, or as intuitive or as visually appealing or offer as many features for the casual or ordinary user. It does have a special Enthusiasts section mind so must be good.

I might not mind advertisements if only I didn't have to deal with cookies on every single page!

I don't have to.

AlexNL

Established Member
Do you perhaps have a browser extension which is intended to protect your privacy? It might interfere with the scripts which are responsible for keeping track of which cookies you've accepted.

Dave91131

More by luck than judgment, I've managed to stop the cookie acceptance exercise after every page change;

In my laptop's privacy and security > cookie and site data settings, I've found a box in which I can type any websites that I do not wish to use any cookies.

No idea of the technical side of what I've done, but it's made the website a lot more friendly and easy to use!

Tom

The advertising change has been made for some fairly realistic financial reasons: I want to spend more time on the site, but I cannot justify the time spent on it at present as it is earning near its cost base. The cost of operating the website has been steadily rising and I need to cover off another substantial increase in costs I'm expecting in electricity in the near future given the recent changes in wholesale rates. RTT consumes around 13A of (renewable) power fairly consistenly and I think we've all seen the recent increases in electricity costs. The advertising revenue up to now has covered off the cost of operating the site and some of the salaries of the jobs that the site supports. The remainder has been covered off by taking an excessive amount of consultancy work on various things. However, in summary, this means that it isn't self sustaining and therefore as a going concern poses a risk.

I also need to cover off the fact that I could be doing something else with my life and earning a significant amount more than I currently do in a different industry... so the alternative is shutting everything down. I don't particularly want to do that, but there is a need to get realistic with the fact I'd like to achieve some more personal life goals.

Therein resulted in some extremely long discussions with various publisher advert companies. These have been going on for almost 3 months while we worked out the right way forward internally and, frankly, we still don't know what it is. My preference was to go for some trials with a few companies to see what was possible. As part of that, there was a need to move to a new privacy/cookie management system that was supposedly better conforming with various legal requirements (apparently RTT was in breach up to now). I am aware that there are issues with it and I'm not best pleased about it but I cannot do anything about it unless you report it to the feedback email address rather than just commenting about it on a forum. You should see the portal once per month unless I change some of the consent requirements. If you see it more often than that, then please report it as it feeds into the trial feedback and whether we tell a company that their trial is over and move onto the next publisher option.

The reality is all I've changed is add that sticky ad at the bottom (which you can close quite easily) and make the bottom ad unit bigger. You don't know what the results of any option are are until you try them, so that's what I had to do. I rejected a lot of options on the table including completely taking over all of the sites edges (like you see on nationalrail.co.uk or a lot of newspaper sites), having ads just randomly appearing within the content, a video box on every page load (and I was offered a LOT of £££ for that). I'm not interested in anything that reduces the user experience substantially but some less bad options have to be investigated.

If you choose not to use the site, that's fine. I live and die by the sword of the users. The reality is that the site was getting close to being unsustainable and the options realistically were be slightly more aggressive in adverts and gain more revenue to invest time in the site, take other work on and let the site be deprived of that time, sell up or close the place down. I chose the former, for now, but I'm not far off looking at the rest.

If you have issues then please report them to the feedback address, as I say, as there's nothing I can do unless it gets reported and centrally logged.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
The advertising change has been made for some fairly realistic financial reasons: I want to spend more time on the site, but I cannot justify the time spent on it at present as it is earning near its cost base. The cost of operating the website has been steadily rising and I need to cover off another substantial increase in costs I'm expecting in electricity in the near future given the recent changes in wholesale rates. RTT consumes around 13A of (renewable) power fairly consistenly and I think we've all seen the recent increases in electricity costs. The advertising revenue up to now has covered off the cost of operating the site and some of the salaries of the jobs that the site supports. The remainder has been covered off by taking an excessive amount of consultancy work on various things. However, in summary, this means that it isn't self sustaining and therefore as a going concern poses a risk.

I also need to cover off the fact that I could be doing something else with my life and earning a significant amount more than I currently do in a different industry... so the alternative is shutting everything down. I don't particularly want to do that, but there is a need to get realistic with the fact I'd like to achieve some more personal life goals.

Therein resulted in some extremely long discussions with various publisher advert companies. These have been going on for almost 3 months while we worked out the right way forward internally and, frankly, we still don't know what it is. My preference was to go for some trials with a few companies to see what was possible. As part of that, there was a need to move to a new privacy/cookie management system that was supposedly better conforming with various legal requirements (apparently RTT was in breach up to now). I am aware that there are issues with it and I'm not best pleased about it but I cannot do anything about it unless you report it to the feedback email address rather than just commenting about it on a forum. You should see the portal once per month unless I change some of the consent requirements. If you see it more often than that, then please report it as it feeds into the trial feedback and whether we tell a company that their trial is over and move onto the next publisher option.

The reality is all I've changed is add that sticky ad at the bottom (which you can close quite easily) and make the bottom ad unit bigger. You don't know what the results of any option are are until you try them, so that's what I had to do. I rejected a lot of options on the table including completely taking over all of the sites edges (like you see on nationalrail.co.uk or a lot of newspaper sites), having ads just randomly appearing within the content, a video box on every page load (and I was offered a LOT of £££ for that). I'm not interested in anything that reduces the user experience substantially but some less bad options have to be investigated.

If you choose not to use the site, that's fine. I live and die by the sword of the users. The reality is that the site was getting close to being unsustainable and the options realistically were be slightly more aggressive in adverts and gain more revenue to invest time in the site, take other work on and let the site be deprived of that time, sell up or close the place down. I chose the former, for now, but I'm not far off looking at the rest.

If you have issues then please report them to the feedback address, as I say, as there's nothing I can do unless it gets reported and centrally logged.

It'd be a sad day if the site ceased to be; I do hope you find a viable and sustainable option for the long term.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Thanks for the detailed explanation. To be honest I've not really noticed much changes to my user experience (and certainly nothing negative!) so if this allows you to do what you need and want rather than possibly shutting it all down then I say go carry on as its all fine here!