• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Ah I see! Misses some of the usual times off, - e....g. Shows Crow Nest Junction but not Hindley!

RTT fills in the rest of the times. When a path is created, it’ll have mandatory timing passing points and stops. You can tell on the day on the path because RTT-filled times are in a lighter grey.

Tom

RTT doesn't even attempt to fill in the VSTP timings for various reasons, including that they're frequently just bizarre compared to normally pathed schedules.

I have seen light locos (obviously pathed at max 75mph) which have had sectional running times in some areas of 100mph+ across 15 mile sections.

As @_toommm_ says, the giveaway as to whether its infill is on the detailed service page: infilled times will be shown in grey and all timings from the path will be in black.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
RTT doesn't even attempt to fill in the VSTP timings for various reasons, including that they're frequently just bizarre compared to normally pathed schedules.

I have seen light locos (obviously pathed at max 75mph) which have had sectional running times in some areas of 100mph+ across 15 mile sections.

As @_toommm_ says, the giveaway as to whether its infill is on the detailed service page: infilled times will be shown in grey and all timings from the path will be in black.
Presumably the odd pathing can be down to hastily inputted schedules?

D6700

I have seen light locos (obviously pathed at max 75mph) which have had Sectional Running Times in some areas of 100mph+ across 15 mile sections.
A not insignificant number of VSTP light engine movements are timed at 100mph because they (specifically) are permitted to travel at that speed. To correctly show in various systems, those schedules will often use LD75 as the timing load for the first SRT, then switch to something more appropriate for 100mph running going forward.

As an example, LNER operated Class 67 "Thunderbird" locos are permitted to travel at 100mph light engine and are regularly scheduled using Class 325 EMU timings for large chunks of their journey.

But, what @Andy Pacer said can also apply!

Tom

In the case in question I think it was a class 37 on the working operated by a FOC well away from the ECML. ;)

D6700

In the case in question I think it was a class 37 on the working operated by a FOC well away from the ECML. ;)
There is at least one FOC that is permitted to operate a substantial proportion of its loco fleet at 100 mph light engine, where appropriate, albeit not 37's (or 67's, as it happens).

But, as I already acknowledged, cock-ups obviously do happen - especially with schedules input directly into TOPS, where the concept of Sectional Running Times doesn't really exist. It's no more than a very basic adding machine.

M60lad

This may have been answered before but sorry if it has, but yesterday I was checking Realtime Trains and saw that Northern 156401+150105 were paired together on a Southport-Stalybridge diagram but when I got to Bolton yesterday afternoon despite Realtime trains stating this was the case it was 150144 that was paired up with 150105, does anybody know why Realtime Trains was showing the wrong information for most of yesterday (it was still showing 156401 was out last night on the diagram when I got home which I know wasn't the case)?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
This may have been answered before but sorry if it has, but yesterday I was checking Realtime Trains and saw that Northern 156401+150105 were paired together on a Southport-Stalybridge diagram but when I got to Bolton yesterday afternoon despite Realtime trains stating this was the case it was 150144 that was paired up with 150105, does anybody know why Realtime Trains was showing the wrong information for most of yesterday (it was still showing 156401 was out last night on the diagram when I got home which I know wasn't the case)?
I think that would be down to either human error by whoever at Northern who would have inputted the allocation or a late set swap.

Established Member
It needs to be remembered that the website only shows the information inputted to the system by humans.

While many modern units not have GPS, it's not used for unit allocation, it is all done manually.

During times of disruption it's not uncommon for station staff to be asked to report back unit numbers to control if they are in a muddle, in one case the signaller even phoned saying "your control are asking what unit you're driving and how many carriages you have in your train"!

Western Sunset

Established Member
Thanks, guys. Maybe because there weren't many services, I didn't spot them in all the domestic stuff.

Don't think it shows all the ECS though; saw 4011 arriving at St Pan plat 9 last Friday at 1459, but it's not on RTT. There was also 4001 stabled in plat 10, but that didn't show on RTT either...

Last edited:

Tom

Just a quick one Tom, there appears to be some allox duplication on some services, example below. Just wondered if you were aware?
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:Q49198/2022-01-31/detailed#allox_id=1
SWR's inbound data has become a little interesting to handle in the last few weeks with the continuing omicron timetable changes. That's probably as much as I can say here. A new mitigation has been put in place. (p.s. please report things like this to the feedback email address as I don't read here that often as I am bored with social media in general, and I have a team of people handling support!)

Thanks, guys. Maybe because there weren't many services, I didn't spot them in all the domestic stuff.

Don't think it shows all the ECS though; saw 4011 arriving at St Pan plat 9 last Friday at 1459, but it's not on RTT. There was also 4001 stabled in plat 10, but that didn't show on RTT either...
Eurostar has always been a bit of a law unto itself in terms of movements between Temple Mills and St Pancras International. RTT will only show information about trains that it knows about, so if it doesn't have a train ID that makes any sense, then...well, it probably won't show anything. Given that this kind of behaviour only affects a small number of routes (of which Eurostar is probably the most noticable) then there's little point in wasting much effort on it as the passenger services still work OK.

Western Sunset

Established Member
SWR's inbound data has become a little interesting to handle in the last few weeks with the continuing omicron timetable changes. That's probably as much as I can say here. A new mitigation has been put in place. (p.s. please report things like this to the feedback email address as I don't read here that often as I am bored with social media in general, and I have a team of people handling support!)

Eurostar has always been a bit of a law unto itself in terms of movements between Temple Mills and St Pancras International. RTT will only show information about trains that it knows about, so if it doesn't have a train ID that makes any sense, then...well, it probably won't show anything. Given that this kind of behaviour only affects a small number of routes (of which Eurostar is probably the most noticable) then there's little point in wasting much effort on it as the passenger services still work OK.
Thanks Tom. I always find RTT the first "go-to" site when I'm trying to write up my photo captions. Keep up the excellent work.

Peter0124

Established Member
This looks rare! A northern 156 unit allocated to a Scotrail service today!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220212-014655__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220212-014655__01.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
This looks rare! A northern 156 unit allocated to a Scotrail service tomorrow!
Booked a Heaton diagram today, sits at Glasgow for the 1E97 1613 back.
Been swapped for another Northern unit, now allocated 156471.

Certainly is rare, may even be the first time it’s been booked to happen, but not the first time a Northern 156 has made it to Glasgow in service.

SteveyBee131

Urm, somehow I don’t think that this happened.
View attachment 110301
As we've been told countless times before, if 'rubbish' comes in the data feed (from Network Rail, Train Companies etc), then 'rubbish' comes out. It's beyond RTT's control.

We've also been told countless times before that when there's disruption, which there is in bucket loads, not to expect accurate information at the time. It'll get updated later, if it gets updated at all.

pdeaves

Established Member
As we've been told countless times before, if 'rubbish' comes in the data feed (from Network Rail, Train Companies etc), then 'rubbish' comes out. It's beyond RTT's control.

We've also been told countless times before that when there's disruption, which there is in bucket loads, not to expect accurate information at the time. It'll get updated later, if it gets updated at all.
To be fair to Halish Railway, the statement could as likely have been 'tee hee, this amusing thing got into the system' as an accusation that RTT is somehow wrong or bad.

spark001uk

Established Member
To be fair to Halish Railway, the statement could as likely have been 'tee hee, this amusing thing got into the system' as an accusation that RTT is somehow wrong or bad.
Can confirm as a reader I was drawn to the former conclusion myself.

Halish Railway

Established Member
There’s an interesting glitch that’s developed where the TOPS number under the train graphic is given in Roman numerals. If you’re not familiar with them do not worry the TOPS number is still given in the expanded description. I’m not sure if this has affected all of the TOCs participating in KYT.
0BEAEB20-64DE-46D2-968B-B346E598B19F.png