• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

william.martin

On Moderation
Hello everyone, I was just wandering if anybody finds it likely for RTT to gain know your train for WMR services, I was just thinking the other day how useful this would be particularly with new trains coming in thick and fast!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BigB

RTT showing WMR on Know Your Train does rely on WMR thinking that it is something that their customers may find useful.
Scotrail for example runs anything from 2 to 8 coaches, SWR similarly has a wide variety, but not sure what WMR would operate that needs customers to require further info.

Handy for enthusiasts to see what is running, but that's not really the purpose of RTT....

Kite159

Veteran Member
RTT showing WMR on Know Your Train does rely on WMR thinking that it is something that their customers may find useful.
Scotrail for example runs anything from 2 to 8 coaches, SWR similarly has a wide variety, but not sure what WMR would operate that needs customers to require further info.

Handy for enthusiasts to see what is running, but that's not really the purpose of RTT....
Would allow passengers to avoid 350/2s lol

Also more of use on the Snow Hill lines as those trains can be anything from 2 coaches to 6 coaches.

william.martin

On Moderation
Would allow passengers to avoid 350/2s lol

Also more of use on the Snow Hill lines as those trains can be anything from 2 coaches to 6 coaches.
Agreed, also as we are quickly losing the 170's on the shrewsbury line I would find it very useful myself as passenger on that line to know if it is a 2 car or a 4.
This is probably something WMR wouldn't care about however it would be nice to know where 323221 is in its new livery!

ComUtoR

Established Member
Following on from another thread. Where does RTT get its platform data from ? Is there a source which shows a trains 'booked' platform according to the WTT timetable ?

Cheers in advance.

louis97

Established Member
Following on from another thread. Where does RTT get its platform data from ? Is there a source which shows a trains 'booked' platform according to the WTT timetable ?

Cheers in advance.
Its from the WTT, same data source as the schedule information comes from - via a CIF file. If the platform number is in red on RTT it is different to the booked platform in the WTT (note that if the booked platform number has a letter in it an alteration may not show in red)

ComUtoR

Established Member
Without a website or app to translate the date from a CIF file. Is there somewhere I could access this publically in a simple format I could read please ?

louis97

Established Member
Without a website or app to translate the date from a CIF file. Is there somewhere I could access this publically in a simple format I could read please ?
Don't think so. RTT is most likely the simplest format you'll get really, although there might be other websites using open data.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are plenty of other sites that use the same data, such as OpenTrainTimes, Charlwood House etc.

You certainly wouldn't want to try and read the raw CIF data!

silverfoxcc

Did this site allow more than 7 days back checking?

Trying to find working at White Hart Lane for 23 Oct and 6 Nov last year between 1800 and 2100

Thanks

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Real Time Trains does allow you to view schedules that are older than 7 days, but not station or junction lineups. You need to know the UID (e.g. G12345) of the schedule in order to do this. If it's a service that runs regularly, you can look up the train today or on a future date when the train next runs to find out its UID.

However it's probably easier to use other sources, rather than the above long-winded method.

ped316

Hi, does anyone know why some freight workings show the unit allocations and some don't?

Examples on 19 Jan:
4O29 shows nothing
6O01 shows operated with 66770 + 66750
3F02 shows operated with 66742
etc

Peter0124

Established Member
Hi, does anyone know why some freight workings show the unit allocations and some don't?

Examples on 19 Jan:
4O29 shows nothing
6O01 shows operated with 66770 + 66750
3F02 shows operated with 66742
etc
I think only GBRf show theirs

ped316

Thanks both!
Is there any public way to find out loco numbers for other freight companies without having to post in the TOPS thread?

8A Rail

Established Member
Thanks both!
Is there any public way to find out loco numbers for other freight companies without having to post in the TOPS thread?
Not really. Just a suggestion though, you could join any of the 'groups.io' rail gen groups and hope that some one posts the 'gen' / 'sightings' of the trains you are observing. The problem there are many 'groups' though and also depends what part of the country you are looking at too.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks both!
Not without subscribing to something like Freightmaster. Or using Railcams to observe it!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Copy the URL of a train within the last seven days and change the date to one longer ago than seven days.

LPJOHN

I am having the same problem, but only with selected stations:

Liverpool Lime Street
Liverpool Central
Liverpool South Parkway
Moorfields

Liverpool James Street, the main stations in Manchester, Preston, Wigan North Western and Southport are all okay.

very strange.