• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rebuilding historic locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchesterken

Thinking about incomplete locos in muesums and running them again.
John Hamden at acton..one of the 18000 series was photographed the other day hauled round a preserved line and of course the Deltic

How about rebuilding the insides around the original refurbed body..the L T
loco could be rebuilt using 2nd hand cl73 parts .the 18000 could be rebuilt
along with the Deltic using ex cl 37 parts

To main line standards with all the moden gismos, I got the idea from brighton bell which is being rebuilt using cl421 parts
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
brain has gone into overtime
they could rebuild Falcon from bits of class 47- 56 s
and rework to running order classes 81 - 85 using bits from redundant class 86 - 90 s
mmmm just spent about £2 000 000

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ACE1888

Can't see why not, nothing seems 'impossible' these days, just down to finance and interest I suppose..'Falcon' would get my vote, definitely

Hydro

Established Member
The prototype HST power car, class 41 number 001, in the NRM is to be rebuilt to running condition using a donated Valenta engine by the 125 preservation group.

The AC loco preservation people also pretty much have a few early AC's in nearly running condition, IIRC.

Oracle

Established Member
John Hampden is in the LT Museum...Sarah Siddons was the brake block test loco and is now a LT MUseum asset based at Acton. However, I know that in the past parts were 'swapped' from JH to SS to keep the latter going. It also had a cracked frame so could in theory never run again.

I would like to see the prototype Deltic run again...but does its engine differ from the production units?

Also what has happened to the proposed Baby Deltic repro? It was to use a Class 37 shell and a marine Deltic engine.

fgwrich

Established Member
Also what has happened to the proposed Baby Deltic repro? It was to use a Class 37 shell and a marine Deltic engine.

IIRC - It's using the sole remaining Napier Deltic T9 - 29 Engine and generator set from the last class 23 before it was cut up in 1977...

http://www.thebabydelticproject.co.uk/#/about-us/4534158054

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out - including the chopping and cropping of the snouts / 37s bodyshell & the fitting of the 20 bogies underneath! :o

cj_1985

lets be honest there are a lot of locos that a lot of people would like to see built to fill the missing gaps... some probably could be built, while others will remain "pipe dreams"

the biggest problem with many "new build" types... is lack of correct components... you can probably build new body etc and use bogies from scrapped locos ie. class 37s etc... but many of the "missing links" are not able to be properly rebuilt since iirc many of the loco types that were scrapped prior to diesel preservation really kicking off had engines/engine types that no longer exist

the Baby Deltic project is lucky that they have the engine... since thats a genuine engine and not a new build...

seem to recall that the class 48 scheme from a few years ago had the benefit that there were similar/identical sulzer (iirc) engines used in french locos... although the scheme obviously came of naught...

i think one of the easiest "new builds" would be a class 13... since they are (AIUI) standard class 08s with one cab cut away and some extra control cables/pipes... not saying it would be cheap... but in theory it is more "do-able" than some of missing links..

Status
Not open for further replies.