• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

recommendations for a railway holiday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernowfem

My mum and dad are due to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary in august. They both met while working on the railway. Because of this my brothers and i wanted to give them a weeks holiday with a railway theme attached, such as railway carriages that have been converted or a lovely station house on a preserved railway somewhere.
Could anyone recommend anywhere suitable? I appreciate that i could easily google for some ideas, but would like to hear from anyone who's had any prior experience of this kind of break.
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Trying to remember one that was featured on Great British Railway Journeys - be for the life of me can't remember it's name!

Dai.

Established Member
What about disused line walks?

are they a possibility?

I know it's not like completely railway themed but there are a few clusters in some areas and definitely something good for an anniversary.

Established Member
Just found it in an old thread - the station is Cromford, it has a self catering former station house.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The one on Great British Railway Journeys was next to St Germans station. They also have one next to Hayle station. More info on their website: http://www.railholiday.co.uk/

Kernowfem

Thanks very much for your help guys. Dai, the walks is an excellent idea. Thanks for this suggestion. I appreciate it :)

You used to be able to stay in the station at Froghall on the Churnet Valley Railway http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/main/index.php but for the life of me I can't seem to find the link to booking there, so you may need to do a little digging around. My partner bought her parents a week there for their wedding anniversary three or four years back, includes unlimited train travel on the line, and there is a good few other things locally to see, and a great real ale pub at each station.

Nanahcub

May be a tad late now but have had some lovely holidays at a cottage known as Platelayers Cottage just yards from the North Yorks Moors railway close to Levisham - I could not fault the accommodation - self catering - lovely setting - the smell of steam and the sound of heritage diesels - paradise - www.platelayerscottages.co.uk

4SRKT

Established Member
Dawlish Warren is a great one. We had several family holidays there in the BR camping coaches in the days when there was an endless procession of 50s and 33s going by.

dk1

Veteran Member
Dawlish Warren is a great one. We had several family holidays there in the BR camping coaches in the days when there was an endless procession of 50s and 33s going by.

Definatley hard to beat as so much else to do in the area too. First came here as a child shortly after HSTs took over many WoE services but still under semaphores with several loco-hauled workings. Went back again in mid 90s & have done so every year since. Summer saturdays i still spend walking the sea wall & hopping on & off trains to between Starcross & Teignmouth before ending the day at http://anchorinncockwood.com/ (Cockwood Harbour) then a few more & a meal at http://www.boathouse.uk.com/ (The Warren), You can still see the main line from both. Excellent :razz:

Kernowfem

Guys, many many thanks, although ive booked my mum and dads accommodation, im actually planning on a similar break myself...so huge thanks for your help and suggestions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.