• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reduced service on the Metropolitan Line from Monday 11 April 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Reduced service on the Metropolitan Line from Monday 11 April 2022

Routine checks to the Metropolitan line fleet have identified an issue with some wheelsets of S8 Stock trains.
These trains have been removed from service to carry out repairs. The issue does not affect S7 Stock trains.
Removing these trains from service means we need to put in place a special service on weekdays based on timetables operated during the pandemic from Monday 11 April 2022. We will, however, be running our timetabled service this weekend (Saturday 9 & Sunday 10 April) though there may be some train cancellations. The issue is likely to impact service through to May.

Messages to customers including emails and posters will be shared from this weekend.

Many thanks
Director of Operational Readiness

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cravens

That explains something on which I had a query - I saw 21015/16 pull into Hillingdon over the course of the last week or two and saw it had very fresh looking wheels and bogies. Is this linked to a programme lift at all?

Dstock7080

Established Member
That explains something on which I had a query - I saw 21015/16 pull into Hillingdon over the course of the last week or two and saw it had very fresh looking wheels and bogies. Is this linked to a programme lift at all?
Yes, the programmed lift for S8 Stock has begun

rebmcr

Established Member
Why is S7 Stock unaffected? Is it related to depot procedure?

Also, isn't there a lot of slack in the S7 fleet (pending SMA frequency enhancements) — what prevents S7 stock being used for Metropolitan services? Depot/stabling capacity perhaps?

Tubeboy

The issue is related to the wheel lathe at Neasden. It wrongly profiled some wheels…..well, quite a few. Hence the issue.

Domh245

Established Member
The issue is related to the wheel lathe at Neasden. It wrongly profiled some wheels…..well, quite a few. Hence the issue.

Whoops!

That said, don't a handful of S7s also work their way through Neasden, and so could have been affected as well, or do they not get lathed on those trips (or do those trips even happen any more now?)

rebmcr

Established Member
Whoops!

That said, don't a handful of S7s also work their way through Neasden, and so could have been affected as well, or do they not get lathed on those trips (or do those trips even happen any more now?)
I think I recall that was only while Hammersmith Depot was being downgraded, and before capacity enhancement at Acton Depot?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Just recieved this email today:

From Monday 11 April we will be running a special timetable on the Metropolitan line until further notice. This is due to a fault being identified on some of the wheels on a number of Metropolitan line trains during our regular and routine inspections.

The timetable changes below will ensure we continue to run as frequent and regular service as possible while inspections take place and the fault is resolved.

Amersham to Baker Street
Every 30 minutes in both directions.

Chesham to Baker Street
Every 30 minutes in both directions.

Uxbridge to Aldgate
Every 15 minutes in both directions.

Watford to Baker Street
Every 15 minutes in both directions.

Domh245

Established Member
I think I recall that was only while Hammersmith Depot was being downgraded, and before capacity enhancement at Acton Depot?

That was my thinking initially, but checking the current Hammersmith & City (& Circle) working timetable 36, there is a daily starter & finisher at Neasden every day as well as some train numbers reserved for (as required) transfers between Neasden and Upminster/Ealing

Mikey C

Established Member
In general, with commuting from the shires being more impacted by home working than inner city travel, it's probably the least damaging Underground Line to be impacted this way...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In general, with commuting from the shires being more impacted by home working than inner city travel, it's probably the least damaging Underground Line to be impacted this way...
The overwhelming majority of Met line customers travel exclusively within Greater London. The 8 stations on the Uxbridge branch sees more than 50% customers than the 8 Met line stations outside Greater London, and that's not to mention that a significant amount of people will be using Chiltern from Amersham - Rickmansworth. There isn't any actual significant difference in the percentage of customers travelling now compared to pre-Covid for the outside of London compared to the inner stations.

hkstudent

Established Member
The overwhelming majority of Met line customers travel exclusively within Greater London. The 8 stations on the Uxbridge branch sees more than 50% customers than the 8 Met line stations outside Greater London, and that's not to mention that a significant amount of people will be using Chiltern from Amersham - Rickmansworth. There isn't any actual significant difference in the percentage of customers travelling now compared to pre-Covid for the outside of London compared to the inner stations.
With Chilterns service in mind, if I were the planners, I would remove the whole Amersham service and still run 2tph on Chesham service.
Only passengers at Amersham will lose out service by needing to change at Chalfont or Rickmansworth

bluegoblin7

Established Member
With Chilterns service in mind, if I were the planners, I would remove the whole Amersham service and still run 2tph on Chesham service.
Only passengers at Amersham will lose out service by needing to change at Chalfont or Rickmansworth

There isn’t really any benefit to doing so, particularly this time round. The drivers will all be available, and the rolling stock situation shouldn’t be so dire as two trains will make a difference. Additionally, the Chesham trains remain in their standard path north of Rickmansworth, placing them three minutes in front of northbound Chilterns and five minutes behind on the south. Most importantly, though, the trains add much needed capacity south of Harrow, and help to provide a reasonably even 5 minute headway (approx 12tph).

It should also be noted that this timetable has been developed by the local Met Service Control team, and has proved extremely robust - much more so than that provided by LU Schedules - whenever it has been used over the last two years.

Simon11

Established Member
As of 6.40am today, TfL is reporting the Met. Line as a Good Service. I am rather confused and think this could be mis-leading!

Are they running a Good Service on their reduced timetable in which it should be reported as a "Special Service"

Or are they running a normal service.....?

Snow1964

Established Member
As of 6.40am today, TfL is reporting the Met. Line as a Good Service. I am rather confused and think this could be mis-leading!

Are they running a Good Service on their reduced timetable in which it should be reported as a "Special Service"

Or are they running a normal service.....?

I would have thought Special service (or reduced service) is better choice for short notice amended service.

Using Good suggests there is no need to check the notes

Dstock7080

Established Member
Are they running a Good Service on their reduced timetable in which it should be reported as a "Special Service”
Reduced timetable is operating with trains in 7xx number series:
701-704 Chesham
711-714 Amersham
720-730 Uxbridge
750-756 Watford

Simon11

Established Member
Reduced timetable is operating with trains in 7xx number series:
701-704 Chesham
711-714 Amersham
720-730 Uxbridge
750-756 Watford
As of 7.30am, it is now being reported as Severe delays. This will still make the average commuter confused.

Are there severe delays compared to a normal timetable, or against the reduced timetable.....!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
As of 7.30am, it is now being reported as Severe delays. This will still make the average commuter confused.

Are there severe delays compared to a normal timetable, or against the reduced timetable.....!

It had changed to "special service" when I looked at 5pm earlier.

I have to say the special service seems a very good timetable, plus the service and far more reliable than the normal service.
Even the rush hour copes very well North of Baker Street, which does make you wonder if all the extra trains are really needed now.
North of Harrow a 15 min service is find as the Watford's carry mostly fresh air outside the rush hour and the Amersham/Chesham's are mostly passengers traveling beyond Rickmansworth.
Judging by the amount of cancellations at the weekend I can't understand why this timetable doesnt operate then as well?.

Mikey C

Established Member
I have to say the special service seems a very good timetable, plus the service and far more reliable than the normal service.
Even the rush hour copes very well North of Baker Street, which does make you wonder if all the extra trains are really needed now.
North of Harrow a 15 min service is find as the Watford's carry mostly fresh air outside the rush hour and the Amersham/Chesham's are mostly passengers traveling beyond Rickmansworth.
Judging by the amount of cancellations at the weekend I can't understand why this timetable doesnt operate then as well?.
You imagine that commuting to the leafy outer suburbs has been impacted far more by working from home, than commuting from the "grittier" area further in, where people are far less likely to have spacious houses or do more manual jobs.

danielcanning

On Moderation
Maybe for Watford/Chesham/Amersham but the Uxbridge services are struggling to cope. TfL really need to get their act together and sort this out, even if that means extending all Piccadilly services to Uxbridge instead of terminating every other one at Rayners Lane.

Dstock7080

Established Member
TfL really need to get their act together and sort this out, even if that means extending all Piccadilly services to Uxbridge instead of terminating every other one at Rayners Lane.
Where would the additional Piccadilly Line rolling stock come from to provide this?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Isn’t the reason that half the Piccadilly line service terminates at Rayners Lane due to congestion at Uxbridge?
Given the question you were answering with this new question, I'd say that the reason is because there isn't enough stock.

It would make more sence to run the 2 Cheshams to Uxbridge and run a shuttle between Chesham & Watford which happened quiet a lot during the last couple of years.
Could even turn them back at Ricky south sidings instead of having even more empty trains running to Watford. The 30 mins service could be maintained with 2 trains.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Off peak the Watford service is normally only every 15 Min, terminating at Baker St in any case, so they aren’t losing out on anything. Similarly off peak Amersham and Chesham services are both half hourly in both temporary and normal timetables, although they normally run through to the City, but conversely usually stop at all stations rather than running fast down the mains from Moor Pk to Harrow as they do presently.

As someone else has pointed out, it is the Uxbridge services that lose out, seeing almost half the usual service (even worse at peak times), despite being busier than the other branches.

AJW12

Regular commuter on the Uxbridge line here… you’re having a very different experience to what I’m seeing on the three days a week I commute in on! The service is now very overcrowded - generally little standing room left after Harrow meaning people boarding at the stations between there and Wembley have to push their way on.

But I think you’re sort of missing the point a bit. It shouldn’t be about the service “coping” with such a massive cut. Many stations on the Uxbridge branch have little alternatives to get in/out of central London and part of the reason I chose to live here was the (at the time) frequent “turn up and go” service. At peak I think it’s 10tph too, so in reality it’s a 60% cut. Yesterday one was cancelled too, so a 25 minute wait for me at Finchley Road. The service has become the worst out of any London suburban service now.
Edit 28/4: normal timetable returning from next week:
Bit of good news at last… poster at Baker Street station confirming a full timetable “with some cancellations” from next week - they think the full timetable will be back from wc. 9th May. At last!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.