• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refusal to use ticket barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

patstonuk

And cement his place in history as Britain's least popular Chancellor? <D

I don't suppose George Osborne will be too concerned about his namesake's reputation!

As for unpopular Chancellors, surely Clunky Gordon or Teflon Darling will forever lead the title race.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I have lost count of the number of times I have shewn my Travel Card at the gate which has then been opened for ,e to pass through when an army of people in the opposite direction suddenly make a rush for the opened gate and try to push through.

lookapigeon

I have never understood why the railways of the UK are so keen to retain the used tickets? Other countries just endorse the used ticket with a print so it's obvious it can't be re-used.

My work insist on a clear receipt showing the type of ticket bought and the amount. The easiest way is of course to submit the ticket with your expenses form with the receipt and claim form, and there won't be any complaints and accounts will cough up quickly.

If you buy from a ticket machine, the receipt just shows the amount you paid and where you got it from, and nothing about the type of ticket, and makes it a hassle to claim back.

ADRboy

I have an NEC card, Scotrail refuse to program the barriers to accept them. Complete waste of my time every morning. Glasgow Queen Street LL sell tickets at the manned gate so it takes ages to get through.

westv

Established Member
I often put my AP ticket through the barrier when getting to Kings Cross. The ticket is just to Kings Cross but the barrier has never retained my ticket. Do the barriers only retain certain types of ticket?

causton

Established Member
I often put my AP ticket through the barrier when getting to Kings Cross. The ticket is just to Kings Cross but the barrier has never retained my ticket. Do the barriers only retain certain types of ticket?

Tickets to Kings Cross are also valid to Moorgate among other places. The ticket barrier will give it back to you just in case you need to transfer to the tube!

westv

Established Member
Tickets to Kings Cross are also valid to Moorgate among other places. The ticket barrier will give it back to you just in case you need to transfer to the tube!
So my AP ticket to Kings Cross is also available to Moorgate via the tube? If that's the case why, when I had a Stamford (Lincs) - Kings Cross season ticket, did that not work the tube barrier?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh just to add, I've used both HT only and EC tickets.

Marton

EC claim all their stations return tickets for claims.

So far that's true in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trc666

The main thing I was getting at is this:

I have no problem whatsoever helping people get through if their tickets do not work or they clearly need some form of assistance, for example the disabled, those who are unsure how to use the gates correctly or they have an excess ticket which usually do not work and of course, in the situation where we are accepting tickets not normally valid through our station due to disruption.

The problem I have is that we get half a trainload of commuters who will simply queue at whatever gate I or one of my colleagues are stood at and expect to be manually let through despite having working tickets and not actually needing any assistance at all - you then have an entire row of gates not being used at all. Mostly 1st class seasons and Day Travelcards do this but starting to get it with bog standard singles and returns too. Said commuters then complain that it 'takes too long' to get through when really they could simply put their ticket through the barrier and get through quicker (some of them even say that they are being lazy and can't be bothered taking it out the wallet!) and this would give me and my colleagues the opportunity to assist the people who DO need help getting through (non working tickets, boxes, Status Passes etc).

Tibbs

The main thing I was getting at is this:

I have no problem whatsoever helping people get through if their tickets do not work or they clearly need some form of assistance, for example the disabled, those who are unsure how to use the gates correctly or they have an excess ticket which usually do not work and of course, in the situation where we are accepting tickets not normally valid through our station due to disruption.

The problem I have is that we get half a trainload of commuters who will simply queue at whatever gate I or one of my colleagues are stood at and expect to be manually let through despite having working tickets and not actually needing any assistance at all - you then have an entire row of gates not being used at all. Mostly 1st class seasons and Day Travelcards do this but starting to get it with bog standard singles and returns too. Said commuters then complain that it 'takes too long' to get through when really they could simply put their ticket through the barrier and get through quicker (some of them even say that they are being lazy and can't be bothered taking it out the wallet!) and this would give me and my colleagues the opportunity to assist the people who DO need help getting through (non working tickets, boxes, Status Passes etc).

As a season ticket holder, a paper ticket is essentially cash, given the difficulty of replacing them, particularly if lost of stolen. This is especially true since it's impossible (as far as I've found) to insure them against loss, theft or damage.

I therefore took care of my paper season as though it were £3,000 of my own cash, which in effect, it was.

That meant it stayed in its wallet and was guarded jealously. I'm sorry it inconveniences you and others around me, but they don't pay for my season ticket, I do. Putting it through a machine that may or may not mangle or lose my ticket is not something I'd chose to do when there's a person I can show it to.

Now I'm on Oyster, I'm more than happy to use the machines. The ticket still stays in its wallet and I know that if my Oyster gets lost or stolen, I can get a replacement with little fuss.

MyFriendMary

If the barrier mangled/lost/kept your ticket - surely the member of staff could assist?

Additionally, if you outside of the station lost a season ticket for a length of time over a week, you could attend any staffed station to have a duplicate printed. With various conditions

Michael.Y

Established Member
I have never understood why the railways of the UK are so keen to retain the used tickets?

Certainly cuts down on station littering and increase recycling, I would imagine. If commuters are lazy enough to dump newspapers in a pile at the bottom of escalators, imagine what would happen with their used tickets. Station concourses would be a slippery sea of orange and cream.

LowLevel

Established Member
As a season ticket holder, a paper ticket is essentially cash, given the difficulty of replacing them, particularly if lost of stolen. This is especially true since it's impossible (as far as I've found) to insure them against loss, theft or damage.

I therefore took care of my paper season as though it were £3,000 of my own cash, which in effect, it was.

That meant it stayed in its wallet and was guarded jealously. I'm sorry it inconveniences you and others around me, but they don't pay for my season ticket, I do. Putting it through a machine that may or may not mangle or lose my ticket is not something I'd chose to do when there's a person I can show it to.

Now I'm on Oyster, I'm more than happy to use the machines. The ticket still stays in its wallet and I know that if my Oyster gets lost or stolen, I can get a replacement with little fuss.

The more reluctant a passenger was about taking a ticket out of it's wallet, the more insistent I was about removing it and inspecting it in detail - it's a pretty standard tactic in getting away with a forgery.

Holly

... The problem I have is that we get half a trainload of commuters who will simply queue at whatever gate I or one of my colleagues are stood at and expect to be manually let through despite having working tickets and not actually needing any assistance at all - you then have an entire row of gates not being used at all. Mostly 1st class seasons and Day Travelcards do this but starting to get it with bog standard singles and returns too. Said commuters then complain ...
The best solution then would be to man that entire row of gates and remove the machines.

Everyone gets personal service. Unemployment is reduced, uniformed workers are around to deal with unusual goings-on, everyone is happy except the 1% of 1% who optimise (and thereby make more fragile) the world to give them the most dividend payments and CEO salaries.

And workers benefit from training in how to smile, courteously greet children and be pleasant and generally brighten everyone's day a tiny bit. Apprehended criminals excluded of course, they deserve a day they won't quickly forget.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Holly said:
The best solution then would be to man that entire row of gates and remove the machines.

Everyone gets personal service. Unemployment is reduced, uniformed workers are around to deal with unusual goings-on, everyone is happy except the 1% of 1% who optimise (and thereby make more fragile) the world to give them the most dividend payments and CEO salaries.

And workers benefit from training in how to smile, courteously greet children and be pleasant and generally brighten everyone's day a tiny bit. Apprehended criminals excluded of course, they deserve a day they won't quickly forget.
How many barriers would you have per platform so that the flow of passengers wouldn't be impeded more than they are now? Would you be prepared to pay higher fares / additional taxes so that they could be manned the whole day?

Holly

How many barriers would you have per platform so that the flow of passengers wouldn't be impeded more than they are now? Would you be prepared to pay higher fares / additional taxes so that they could be manned the whole day?
As many as needed and definitely yes.
But I would expect the workers to do other stuff when the barriers were not busy. Sweeping up, emptying the bins, doing routine safety checks, whatever was needed.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
As many as needed and definitely yes.
But I would expect the workers to do other stuff when the barriers were not busy. Sweeping up, emptying the bins, doing routine safety checks, whatever was needed.

Haha, you sound like a right slave driver, those tasks would not get approved by the RMT unless there was a large associated pay rise! Anyway it's unrealistic as so much money was invested in ticket barriers so the Train companies are not going to rip them out or increase staffing vastly!

Bodie

This indeed is a thorny issue.

Not helped by the fact no two stations are alike. Some barriers are erected at stations and they stick out like a sore thumb. Either they are totally out of keeping with the station or worse they are designed poorly - i.e Poor layout.

I have no problem with them in major cities. These places are heaving with folk and I think they actually can speed things up.

Some smaller cities and towns, barriers seem like a waste of money.

I haven't had a really bad time at one but I remember being at Bristol Temple Meads a few years back and I had purposely left myself time there.
I had only ever changed trains, never been out of the station to see that great facade and some of the city.
I didn't even need to change trains that day, just left a northbound crosscountry service and planned to get a later one after my little sight seeing.
All going well, till I arrived at the barriers. I had a pass back then, so my only option was the manual gate.
Lo and behold there's nobody there!
Don't think it was long, someone did eventually come and let me through.
Thankfully it didn't ruin my sightseeing.
I did however have a terrible feeling of being trapped.

That brings me on to another point. They work too well as barriers sometimes.
As others have mentioned , if you need to just pop through them you start to question whether or not its worth the hassle.

I'd like to pop outside of a station to see a little of the new place i'm go to, but if there are barriers, I think better of it.
Say i'm going from A-B and change trains at C, I think the barriers are bound to refuse exit or worse still refuse entry.
Sure the option is to use the manual gate, but as mentioned above - Not always that there is someone there.

I've always been bias against them, yes I see the good points. As I have already said, they can actually speed things up and deter/catch fare dodgers.
However having seen many stations go from no barriers to having them, you can't help but be bias as they take away a little freedom.

I just to enjoy going onto the platforms, even if I wasn't getting a train at Aberdeen and Glasgow Queen Street but the barriers block all this off.
Even make getting to see the trains really hard.

Worse at Aberdeen. I was there at the end of last year, the first time in years and the first since the barriers were erected. Your encased on the concourse, I remember the station being so much more open. The car park that butts onto the platform at the north end is now blocked by a great long metal fence. I did not like it.

I always like to think the folk of the past did things better but in this aspect, you have to say if the technology had been available would the railway companies have done the same?
Most certainly

Have to agree with other posters that, to hell with the cost, I would happily replace most barriers with the same number of staff.
Its not like tickets are cheap, and you can bet fares will continue to rise.
If barriers are so worthwhile, why the higher and higher fares?

I don't say replace barriers with staff just because I don't really like barriers, but because people need work. Too many people unemployed as it is, we really don't need people to be replaced by machines on top of that.
I'm in a catch 22 though, as I am not a Luddite, technology must progress.

Tied myself in knots there at the end. The result - In some ways they are good, others not so. You just can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

djjawuk

Just a word to the wise: I was talking to one of the barrier attendants at Leeds this morning after another "Card read error" and she said that three of the barriers at the centre of the row facing the main exit (next to the Information desk) aren't working for Smartcards (despite still being marked as accepting tickets and Smartcards). Cue the predictable chaos at rush hour. So if you've a Smartcard, avoid the gates at the centre!

jumping in here;

when i exit through the ticket barriers at ipswich they always keep the tickets and never give them back to you, which is annoying because i like to keep them

also recently when travelling up from ipswich to shildon via peterbourgh and darlington i tried to exit at darlington to go to the cash point and the barriers wouldnt let me through and it said it is not valid, when this happened i thought it should be valid because it is an intermediate station that is valid in the ticket area. for example: a ticket between ipswich and liverpool street and i wish to break my journey up and exit at colchester. shouldnt this be the same at darlington? if this is the case why didnt the ticket let me through?

DownSouth

Established Member
jumping in here;

when i exit through the ticket barriers at ipswich they always keep the tickets and never give them back to you, which is annoying because i like to keep them

also recently when travelling up from ipswich to shildon via peterbourgh and darlington i tried to exit at darlington to go to the cash point and the barriers wouldnt let me through and it said it is not valid, when this happened i thought it should be valid because it is an intermediate station that is valid in the ticket area. for example: a ticket between ipswich and liverpool street and i wish to break my journey up and exit at colchester. shouldnt this be the same at darlington? if this is the case why didnt the ticket let me through?
It sounds as if this is the same thing as has been discussed all the way through this thread - the operator of the station at Darlington having programmed the barriers to accept only a certain number of ticket types rather than all the different tickets which are actually valid there. That may be by choice or it may be due to the insufficient capacity of the machines to handle many different types of ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.