• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reigate stabling sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meerkat

Established Member
Absolutely - but maybe a start would be to separate the two local services. Reading to Guildford and Guildford to Redhill to avoid the long sitting time at Guildford & improve flexibility.
All good things start as a challenge.
Wouldn’t that involve more platform occupation, which can be a bit of an issue at Guildford?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If that idea was taken up, why not use the same platform at the same time, with the Reading coming in at the north end and Redhill at the south then there's a relatively easy interchange for those passengers wanting to pass through Guildford?

Meerkat

Established Member
If that idea was taken up, why not use the same platform at the same time, with the Reading coming in at the north end and Redhill at the south then there's a relatively easy interchange for those passengers wanting to pass through Guildford?
Blimey, have you seen the platform when just one NDL train comes in?!
In the morning I would start to think people must be getting on the other side there were so many people piling out and squeezing into the bridge/subway (usually held up by some clown with a bike....)
if they all had to get off?!

Deepgreen

Established Member
I don't think the Reigate crossing cycle is a function of there being a possible overrun. It is more about the timetable being met. Either the route is clear as the train approaches Reigate and the train can leave once dispatch is done or the train has to come to a halt before the crossing cycle can start. The timetable probably isn't written around the longer dwell time needed for that form of operation of the barriers.
In the peaks, the dwell time would not need to be longer, but, in any case, not closing the crossing until, say, the train enters the platform would be a big improvement. The signaller is on site after all! Are you saying that the crossing cycle cannot start until a train entering the WB platform has actually stopped? I'm fairly sure I've seen terminating trains arriving with the gates up but the cycle starting for an EB train while the terminating train's still moving into the platform.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
In the peaks, the dwell time would not need to be longer, but, in any case, not closing the crossing until, say, the train enters the platform would be a big improvement. The signaller is on site after all!

I think the point is that the train has to come to a stand before the crossing cycle can start. It is not good practice for signals to change in front of the driver whilst a train is moving.

It appears that the Reigate Society continue to push on changes to operation of the level crossing.

Dear Bridget

Thank you for your email and interest in Network Rail's proposed upgrades at Reigate station.

Apologies for the delay in responding to your email - if you could provide an address for booklets to be sent to you I will ensure that this happens as quickly as possible - alternatively responses can be made to our online portal at: www.networkrail.co.uk/reigate

I also spoke to Nick Owen at an event in Reigate, he informed me that the largest concern to the Reigate Society was that of the level crossing down time at Reigate, as promised the project are looking into the possibility of make improvements to the level crossing as part of this scheme and we will be in touch with you (Reigate Society), Nick and also the Surrey Rail Users Forum to discuss this further with you when we have analysed what it may be possible to do.

I understood that as a Society you have been around the houses a bit within Network Rail in regard to this matter and I apologise for this, we will hopefully be able to provide some more clarity which I'm sure will be welcome in due course. I would be grateful if you could share this information with your members and Mr Owen (who I will correspond with separately also).

At the end of the information exercise period due shortly, we will develop and distribute a summary of feedback responses. I hope this information will be useful to you and your members.

Kind regards

Sara Peters

Consultation Manager - CARS

Southern Capital Delivery

Minstral25

Established Member
I think the point is that the train has to come to a stand before the crossing cycle can start. It is not good practice for signals to change in front of the driver whilst a train is moving.

It appears that the Reigate Society continue to push on changes to operation of the level crossing.

Reigate Society come across very strange, after spending years campaigning against platform 3 at Reigate because it would use up car park space, suddenly they change track as it might get the level crossing looked at. Still good to get support I guess.

The signals need major work to change any of the timings, so it will not happen unless attached to something else like platform 3

Ted633

The crossing cycle usually starts when a westbound service is a fair distance from (albeit in sight of) the platform. I think it all depends on the timetable and how long it is scheduled to stand at Reigate

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The crossing cycle usually starts when a westbound service is a fair distance from (albeit in sight of) the platform. I think it all depends on the timetable and how long it is scheduled to stand at Reigate

Yes, that is not in contention - it starts pretty much as the train passes Croydon Road bridge which is where the previous signal is. What I am saying is that it can't change at the point the train enters the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.