• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reissuing of date boxes for Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Is it possible for date boxes to be reissued for rovers, in this case where the ‘boxes’ have been lost? Scenario being still having the ticket portion of the rover which has just completed day 3 of it’s validity (of an 8 in 15) - valid from 9th June

I think I know the answer but thought I’d ask the collective to confirm or repute this thought

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Official answer is no, "passenger's responsibility..." and all that.

Although from a revenue protection point of view I don't really see why not in cases like this - issue a replacement set of tickets, cross out the number of boxes corresponding to the number of days already expired.

A Challenge

Established Member
I don't know, but from my point of view I don't see why say it is the second day of validity of a 15 day rover I can't get a date box with the previous dates up to and including the current day (unless it is pre morning peak)?

Haywain

Veteran Member

Although from a revenue protection point of view I don't really see why not in cases like this - issue a replacement set of tickets, cross out the number of boxes corresponding to the number of days already expired.
I agree with this. In a way, the date boxes don't matter in the slightest for the first eight days, other than to ensure that they are being filled in. Otherwise extra use could be gained by "losing" them for the first week and then "finding" a blank set of boxes.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That's a fair point - I suppose you could reissue on the assumption that on every day of validity so far travel *has* taken place (as there is no proof it has not). No scope for fraud then. You might lose a day or two's travel but not the whole ticket.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Surely it would be better if Rovers were issued with date boxes on the ticket, like an Interrail pass

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Surely it would be better if Rovers were issued with date boxes on the ticket, like an Interrail pass
Yes, and they certainly used to, but the move to common stock changed all that.

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks for the replies - this confirmed what I thought. But hey, if you don't ask and all that! In the end, a new ticket was sought, which in itself was a bit of a drama as even in area they weren't really sure about it!

I agree with this. In a way, the date boxes don't matter in the slightest for the first eight days, other than to ensure that they are being filled in. Otherwise extra use could be gained by "losing" them for the first week and then "finding" a blank set of boxes.

I agree with you both on this point - this is what I had in mind hence asking the question really

Yes, and they certainly used to, but the move to common stock changed all that.

To a degree I prefer the current solution with having a neatly sized ticket that has to have two portions rather than one that needs folding to fit. On a semi-related but not entirely on-topic point, I wonder if these can be issued on the "origami" (receipt roll) ticket stock (not that I would ever want one issued as such!)

Haywain

Veteran Member
If you mean can date boxes be printed on Till roll stock the answer is yes.
It may be possible, but at the start of this year rover tickets were not approved for PRT fulfilment. That could have changed but it wouldn't have been a priority.

marcouk2

I've had no issues getting day rovers issued on PRT stock, never tried to (or wanted to! ) get a multiday rover issued on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.