• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining GWR HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat67

Established Member
Thanks as always for the details - I'm very tempted by that Carmarthen run on the Sunday seeing as I can't make the Flying Banana tour. It's a shame there's only one starting from Paignton and not any going to Paignton though, I'd love to do that run on an HST for the first and last time.

We're in the penultimate week of HST's now :(
What Flying Bannana Tour?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
The Flying Banana tour is the name being given to the railtour which is being run by GWR on Saturday 1st of June to mark the end of the HSTs on the GWML. Yes, it's a while after the last ones leave Paddington in regular service, but it will be quite the event as it will run around all of the lines which are served by HSTs. It is called the Flying Banana because when the HSTs were introduced the yellow ends were a lot more obvious and apparently they had that nickname, which is now used for the Network Rail New Measurement Train.

-Peter

EDIT: Tickets went on sale at the Long Rock Depot Open Day and I think that they have sold out. They were really expensive, even though it was a long journey, and I'm sure people will be selling them online for a lot more than the original price!
:)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Flying Banana tour is the name being given to the railtour which is being run by GWR on Saturday 1st of June to mark the end of the HSTs on the GWML. Yes, it's a while after the last ones leave Paddington in regular service, but it will be quite the event as it will run around all of the lines which are served by HSTs. It is called the Flying Banana because when the HSTs were introduced the yellow ends were a lot more obvious and apparently they had that nickname, which is now used for the Network Rail New Measurement Train.

-Peter

EDIT: Tickets went on sale at the Long Rock Depot Open Day and I think that they have sold out. They were really expensive, even though it was a long journey, and I'm sure people will be selling them online for a lot more than the original price!

I wonder if GWR IETs will be nicknamed "Flying Cucumbers". ;)

Peter C

Established Member
I wonder if GWR IETs will be nicknamed "Flying Cucumbers". ;)
Ha! I seem to remember hearing about them already having the nickname of "Cucumbers", so that's always a possibility! Just not sure about the yellow ends and how they add to the cucumber aspect though... maybe they've all gone off!...

-Peter

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Weekend 11th & 12th May:

Sat 11/05:
1. 1A15 > 1C16 > 1A24 > 1C92
2. 1A75 > 1C77 > 1A94 > 1C33
3. 1A80 > 1C85

Sun 12/05:
1. 1A83 > 1C89
2. 1A85 > 1C92
3. 1A10 > 1B28 > 1L90 > 1C33

The empties for 1A10 on Sunday is now STP’d to come ECS from Stoke Gifford so thinking something may have changed there?

nat67

Established Member

-Peter

Thanks I wasn't sure if the actual NMT power cars were having something to do with it. I would definitely be there if 43013/014 or 062 was there.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The empties for 1A10 on Sunday is now STP’d to come ECS from Stoke Gifford so thinking something may have changed there?

It may simply be that the STPs aren't finalised.

5C33 is still shown as going to Stoke Gifford after 1C33 on the Saturday night.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C49524/2019/05/12/advanced

The platforms at Paddington don't match up on RTT either. As FGW_DID has pointed out in the past the data in the open data feed isn't infallible.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It's a shame there's only one starting from Paignton and not any going to Paignton though, I'd love to do that run on an HST for the first and last time.

Still the opportunity to go into Paignton and out on Summer Saturdays by HST for a while albeit not with GWR - just need to travel from Leeds instead.

1V44 0611 Leeds to Paignton
1S51 1233 Paignton to Glasgow Central

1V52 0601 Glasgow Central to Paignton
1E67 1640 Paignton to Leeds

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks I wasn't sure if the actual NMT power cars were having something to do with it. I would definitely be there if 43013/014 or 062 was there.
You are very welcome. I think that it would be nice if the NMT power cars were running it, but as this is a GWR railtour it is sadly very much not possible. If that makes any sense.

-Peter

duffield

Established Member
You are very welcome. I think that it would be nice if the NMT power cars were running it, but as this is a GWR railtour it is sadly very much not possible. If that makes any sense.

-Peter

Going offtopic a bit, when the NMT is not in 'real' use or under maintenance (if such a time exists, possibly not!), NR should try using it for high-price small number railtours. I have a feeling that a small but significant number of people would pay £1000+ for an all-day NMT railtour which involved demonstrating the technology onboard. (And yes, in case it's not bleedin' obvious, I would be tempted - even at that price). It might not be viable because it would probably have to be a very small closely supervised party though. (Actually thinking about it I might pay £2000, though that might be the bank holiday drink talking!)

The closest I've got to the NMT so far is an inspection from outside when it was stopped on P3 at Nottingham last year (or was it the year before?) and seeing it go through Beeston with all the laser gear active - like an alien invasion, it was.

Anyhow, when the NMT finally gets replaced, they should definitely do some 'farewell tours'.

Last edited:

nat67

Established Member
Going offtopic a bit, when the NMT is not in 'real' use or under maintenance (if such a time exists, possibly not!), NR should try using it for high-price small number railtours. I have a feeling that a small but significant number of people would pay £1000+ for an all-day NMT railtour which involved demonstrating the technology onboard. (And yes, in case it's not bleedin' obvious, I would be tempted - even at that price). It might not be viable because it would probably have to be a very small closely supervised party though. (Actually thinking about it I might pay £2000, though that might be the bank holiday drink talking!)

The closest I've got to the NMT so far is an inspection from outside when it was stopped on P3 at Nottingham last year (or was it the year before?) and seeing it go through Beeston with all the laser gear active - like an alien invasion, it was.

Anyhow, when the NMT finally gets replaced, they should definitely do some 'farewell tours'.
I have cabbed 43062 at Rugby. Maybe NR and EMT could sort out a railtour from Derby on a Saturday. It sounds a bit far fetched but I know a few people in mind would like some of these power cars for haulage.

FGW_DID

Established Member

RTT is showing that as a VAR schedule not STP.

It may simply be that the STPs aren't finalised.

5C33 is still shown as going to Stoke Gifford after 1C33 on the Saturday night.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C49524/2019/05/12/advanced

The platforms at Paddington don't match up on RTT either. As FGW_DID has pointed out in the past the data in the open data feed isn't infallible.

The diagrams and workings posted are from the finalised STP diagrams. I haven’t seen any amendments posted out but not to say they may appear after the Bank Holiday.

Bringback309s

Sorry - without hauling through older posts - are there any more HST diagrams to or from Penzance to Paddington? The 18th May seems to be Exeter only

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry - without hauling through older posts - are there any more HST diagrams to or from Penzance to Paddington? The 18th May seems to be Exeter only

Yes there are M-F:

Mondays to Fridays
Valid until Friday 17th May 2019

IW1

1A71 04.51 Plymouth – Paddington
1C74 09.03 Paddington – Plymouth
1A87 12.55 Plymouth – Paddington
1C90 17.03 Paddington – Penzance

IW3

1A79 06.47 Penzance – Paddington
1C82 13.03 Paddington – Plymouth
1A96 16.57 Plymouth – Paddington
1C98 21.03 Paddington – Plymouth

IW5

1A81 07.41 Penzance – Paddington
1C84 14.03 Paddington – Penzance

On Moderation
I have cabbed 43062 at Rugby. Maybe NR and EMT could sort out a railtour from Derby on a Saturday. It sounds a bit far fetched but I know a few people in mind would like some of these power cars for haulage.
It’s very very very unlikely to happen. Obviously it’s not impossible but the impending (well, maybe!) change of management at East Mids makes it much less likely than the very remote chance there was before.

nat67

Established Member
It’s very very very unlikely to happen. Obviously it’s not impossible but the impending (well, maybe!) change of management at East Mids makes it much less likely than the very remote chance there was before.
Maybe a possibility for the 125 group to have a pair for the weekend with 41001.

nat67

Established Member
Equally unlikely: the NMT is intensively used, so any downtime is for maintenance.
Not a chance if it was at Derby for the weekend. Do they keep the spare power car at RTC now or is it still kept at Craigentinny?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The diagrams and workings posted are from the finalised STP diagrams. I haven’t seen any amendments posted out but not to say they may appear after the Bank Holiday.

Sorry, I was trying to infer that the finalised STPs you refer to had not yet made it into the open data feeds.

Peter C

Established Member
Would it be a good idea for me to make a separate thread for the New Measurement Train?

-Peter

QuestRail

-Peter

Plenty of tickets still available at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-flying-banana-tickets-59925300186 by the looks of it :) I'd have gone, but I'm going to be out until the early hours the night before, which might make that 5:30am start might be a struggle :D

spark001uk

Established Member

-Peter

Looking on the booking site, there do still appear to be standard class tickets on general sale. As for resale, the tickets are named and holders will be required to provide photo ID on the day.

Mark Webster

Yes 4 diagrams on may 18th
1a10 Exeter- padd
One from Plymouth
0645 Bristol-padd
One from penzance.

GWHST107

Would anyone be able to tell me whether the final GWR HST service on the 18th is 1C26 1830 or 1Z26 1832 (as I've heard there may have been alterations) and also whether the service is to be extended to Exeter as the GWR site suggests, in spite of the RTT service info that suggests otherwise. Thanks in advance

Edit - Having looked again at RTT, it would appear that 1Z43 2132 is the Exeter extension of 1C26, however neither GWR bookings nor the Trainline seem to allow you to both arrive into and depart Taunton on the HST service.

The final passenger working link on Rail Record is the source for the aforementioned potential alteration as it shows 1Z26 rather than 1C26. (https://www.rail-record.co.uk/final-gwr-hst-gwml-service-confirmed-for-18th-may-2019/)

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Would anyone be able to tell me whether the final GWR HST service on the 18th is 1C26 1830 or 1Z26 1832 (as I've heard there may have been alterations) and also whether the service is to be extended to Exeter as the GWR site suggests, in spite of the RTT service info that suggests otherwise. Thanks in advance

The 18.32 is an IET isn't it? The 18.30 is the final HST out of Paddington - and it's reservation only.

Mainline421

Edit - Having looked again at RTT, it would appear that 1Z43 2132 is the Exeter extension of 1C26, however neither GWR bookings nor the Trainline seem to allow you to both arrive into and depart Taunton on the HST service.

The final passenger working link on Rail Record is the source for the aforementioned potential alteration as it shows 1Z26 rather than 1C26. (https://www.rail-record.co.uk/final-gwr-hst-gwml-service-confirmed-for-18th-may-2019/)
I just checked this on GWR.com and amusingly it immediately guessed what I was doing and produced this message. (I've already reserved a seat at a ticket office). Obiligitary warning not to ever use Trainline as every ticket they sell without exception can be purchased without any fees elsewhere and EMT & Greater Anglia have the same layout.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-06 Buy Cheap Train Tickets Great Western Railway First Great Western.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-06 Buy Cheap Train Tickets Great Western Railway First Great Western.png
    170.1 KB · Views: 100

Peter C

Established Member

FGW_DID

Established Member
SX diagrams for the final week (13/05 - 17/05):

1. MO 1A70 MSX 1A71 > 1C74 > 1A87 > 1C90

2. FSX 1A81 > 1C84. FO 1A81 > 1B42 > 1L82 > 1C28

3. 1A79 > 1C82 > 1A96 > 1C98

Last edited:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
SX diagrams for the final week (13/05 - 17/05):

1. MO 1A70 MSX 1A71 > 1C74 > 1A87 > 1C90

2. FSX 1A81 > 1C84. FO 1A81 > 1B42 > 1L82 > 1C98

3. 1A79 > 1C82 > 1A96 > 1C98

Diagram 2 on FO appears after 1B42 to work 1C28 19.30 Paddington to Weston.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.