• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Report suggests vaping on buses and trains "should be considered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
OK, so how do you easily codify and enforce a ban on that kind of vaping indoors but not other kinds of vaping?
Oh, no, I'm firmly in favour of keeping all smoking and vaping banned. Just not on the grounds that some vaping fluids smell odd.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
There isn't 'a smell' of vaping - there are a multitude of different scented vaping fluids (not all 'sickly sweet') and some which have no added scent at all.
I generally find that when you pass someone vaping and looking like a steam locomotive there is a very strong smell like a particularly pungent fruit tea.

thenorthern

Established Member
Looking at the news I haven't seen any more updates on it so I think its unlikely the government will proceed with the report into allowing vaping on public transport.

Talking of the smoking ban though I was talking to a friend of mine who mentioned that while the 2007 ban was the biggest change as it prohibited all smoking in public buildings there have also been many significant changes in smoking attitudes since then some of which have gone unnoticed. The most notable thing is the amount of places that have now become smoke free sites.

The Ham

Established Member
The most notable thing is the amount of places that have now become smoke free sites.

As well as all the places where smoking is limited in location. For instance a lot of theme parks only allow smoking in smoking zones, which are often fairly small and can be fenced off from the rest of the park.

The Ham

Established Member
I get that vaping is technically considered relatively safe and they want to encourage more smokers to switch over to ecigs, but its still smoke is smoke and is still bothersome to the rest of us.

In which case make a single cigarette £3 when brought in large quantities and when we leave the EU add an import tax of £3.50 per cigarette. Smoking of cigarettes would almost stop overnight and everyone would be on the relatively safer e-cigs.

No need to change rules about where they could be used.

TPO

The vaping smell can be really nauseating.

On a packed Valleys train heading into Cardiff a few years ago, there was a bunch of lads going to the Cheltenham races. Although morning peak, the alcohol was already flowing and the one next to me was vaping- the smell was disgusting, like liquidised decaying strawberry (no, the guard made no effort to challenge the vaping, neither had the station staff- probably as the bunch of revellers were already showing signs of inebriation).

Unfortunately, I was stuck next to the chap who was vaping- all standing, no-where to go. So I politely asked the chap if he would please stop vaping as the smell was making me feel sick. He declined, to which I pointed out that if he didn't stop I would be sick, and given how packed the train was, I would have no option other than to be sick all over him- not a good start to his day out. He put his vaping pipe away rather abruptly at that point....... 8-)

TPO.

fowler9

Established Member
The vaping smell can be really nauseating.

On a packed Valleys train heading into Cardiff a few years ago, there was a bunch of lads going to the Cheltenham races. Although morning peak, the alcohol was already flowing and the one next to me was vaping- the smell was disgusting, like liquidised decaying strawberry (no, the guard made no effort to challenge the vaping, neither had the station staff- probably as the bunch of revellers were already showing signs of inebriation).

Unfortunately, I was stuck next to the chap who was vaping- all standing, no-where to go. So I politely asked the chap if he would please stop vaping as the smell was making me feel sick. He declined, to which I pointed out that if he didn't stop I would be sick, and given how packed the train was, I would have no option other than to be sick all over him- not a good start to his day out. He put his vaping pipe away rather abruptly at that point....... 8-)

TPO.
I hope you didn't try and tell the guard how to do their job.

TPO

I hope you didn't try and tell the guard how to do their job.

Eh? Where do you get that from?

All the guard did was check tickets. My observation (i.e. I observed them) was they didn't bother to challenge the person who openly blew vape fumes in their (and everyone else's) direction. I doubt they would have bothered even if someone had been smoking. Which is why I had to ask the chap myself if he would stop his disgusting behaviour.

Now you have raised the subject of whether or not the guard was doing his job, I suppose that if a guard was watching someone flagrantly breaking the rules, perhaps I should have been saying something, politely suggesting to them they did something about it. Gosh, I hadn't even considered until I saw your post that perhaps the Guard wasn't doing his job. Now you mention it, heck he wasn't.

Oh, and as a lot of people in their questions "project" their own thought, may I assume you would have been telling the guard how to do their job? Or would that be reading something into a post that you didn't say (just like you have done with my post)?

TPO

fowler9

Established Member
Eh? Where do you get that from?

All the guard did was check tickets. My observation (i.e. I observed them) was they didn't bother to challenge the person who openly blew vape fumes in their (and everyone else's) direction. I doubt they would have bothered even if someone had been smoking. Which is why I had to ask the chap myself if he would stop his disgusting behaviour.

Now you have raised the subject of whether or not the guard was doing his job, I suppose that if a guard was watching someone flagrantly breaking the rules, perhaps I should have been saying something, politely suggesting to them they did something about it. Gosh, I hadn't even considered until I saw your post that perhaps the Guard wasn't doing his job. Now you mention it, heck he wasn't.

Oh, and as a lot of people in their questions "project" their own thought, may I assume you would have been telling the guard how to do their job? Or would that be reading something into a post that you didn't say (just like you have done with my post)?

TPO
Apologies mate. I wasn't having a go. It was meant as a light hearted comment based on other people being accused of telling the guard how to do their job. I didn't make it clear I wasn't having a go so sorry about that. It was kind of a reference to people talking about "Alan Partridge" talking to a guard. I personally wouldn't tell a guard how to their job and have what I think is a good relationship (not in a loving or intimate way), with the staff I regularly come in to contact with.

Status
Not open for further replies.