• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restoring Your Railway Fund: what ideas would you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPI

Established Member
Train travel is very much a minority interest down here. Bridgwater, which is 3 times bigger than Wellington only gets 350k passengers per year. This isn't helped by the locations of the stations in Taunton, Bristol and Exeter (St Davids). Obviously for long distance travel especially to London, rail is a very popular option, and the comparative locations of the stations less of an issue. But for local travel it is a bigger problem. Any new station in Wellington will also not be very conveniently located for the town, it will be nearly 1 mile from the town centre, and most of the housing and new development is even further away.

As I said previously, Taunton station is not located at all well for the town centre, or for the major employers, colleges and the hospital. I would guess that at least 75% of all journeys out from Wellington are to Taunton, it's the local centre for pretty much everything. I would of course prefer a rail option, I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't like trains... but being absolutely pragmatic about it, is spending ~£15m of very limited funding the best public transport outcome for Wellington? Rail won't ever be a sensible solution for the vast majority of local journeys, just because of the geography and the capacity limits of the line. How good a bus service does £15m buy? And would 10 electric buses running every 10 minutes all day be a better outcome for most people than an hourly knackered HST that doesn't take them anywhere near where they want to go?
You're right in saying that Taunton is the destination of choice from Wellington, but then its also closest, with public transport to anywhere else being practically non existent, with an hourly service on the doorstep to Exeter in around the same time the bus takes to get into Taunton then it will open a new market, the fact the trains go to St Davids may put some people off but you'd be surprised how many from Newton Abbot decide to catch the fast train to St Davids then change or walk to the City instead of catching one of the direct half hourly services to Central. Will there be huge numbers using it if it reopens? Possibly not but certmore than you'd think. The "direct trains to Exeter Central" line is over stated in my opinion and I've worked in around St Davids for over ten years now, most are quite happy to change and jump on a train going "up the hill" and with 4 trains an hour between St Davids and Central there's plenty of options

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pete_uk

Established Member
Cirencester, either via Kemble or from Swindon using the route that went up through Cricklade and up north.

Status
Not open for further replies.