• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retro Avon Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was pretty much on time throughout (both directions), and it was a great success. I put a lot more names to faces too!!

Please post your experiences here if you were on the tour!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rmt

Just about got all the oil and carbon from my hair, eyes and face from the return journey. Was quite entertaining to hear the pair thrash away coming out of Severn Tunnel.. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
T'was a good 'un, even though I spent most of Stockport to Shrewsbury asleep (my doss moves didn't happen really, got about an hour's sleep on the Megabus and that was it!), and I enjoyed the comfort of the MK3! Was too easy to fall asleep in it mind at times, but generally speaking I managed to defy fate and stayed awake! Didn't touch the beer though as I knew that would put me to sleep for the rest of the day!

Didn't get much time at the droplights, but I did at the signal check at Wellington. Even from about 5 coaches back, the pair of 56s were making enough noise to be heard! Sure was nice to have gone through Hereford non-stop, although I would have liked to have been on the through roads. One day...

Timings booklet suggested we'd get looped at Chelford, did this happen?

Mintona: Were we really 7 early into Wilmslow? I don't recall being that early, as I was awake for the arrival at Wilmslow and noted the arrival time. But I think we were indeed RT off Wilmslow, so that was good!

From rough memory (and I didn't note the timings everywhere), the worst delay on the southbound leg was 8 minutes at the start due to the 0645 TPX to Manchester running late. Best timing was about 2 up at Patchway. Eventual arrival into Bristol was 5 late, and into the booked platform I might add ;), leaving there on time and eventually reaching Bath at 1257, 5 minutes early.

Scott: Your phot of the southbound leg suggests we were on the Up Main at Magor, was this the case? I think I spotted your crew at Magor, but wasn't sure. Either way, seems bizarre to have been on the Up Main, will be checking the Quail later!

Overall, I was impressed with my first trip with Retro Railtours. A shame I couldn't do the northbound leg, but I was too tired to do it anyway (I collapsed into a deep sleep for a couple of hours before tea at 1530 yesterday, which I needed after around 6 hours sleep in 72 hours!). Bet the 56s were monsterous going up Llanvihangel.

Roll on the next RR venture, whatever it may be!

Jordy

Established Member
We were looped at Chelford for a 175, which we then caught up with again at Crewe :lol:

Mintona

Established Member
Ahh, I informed the driver on the 175 he was going to have to sit behind you all the way to Newport, so I'm glad he didn't have to (even though he was getting off at Crewe for another driver). You were about 4 or 5 early, but about 7 minutes before correct departure time. Although you did get a spot on-time departure, courtesy of yours truly.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Scott: Your phot of the southbound leg suggests we were on the Up Main at Magor, was this the case? I think I spotted your crew at Magor, but wasn't sure. Either way, seems bizarre to have been on the Up Main, will be checking the Quail later!

Hey Julian. Shot is on Up Main (Or fast etc etc) at Magor not Slow as I would've hoped, It came back northbound on the slow whereas I was hoping for the fast for the acceleration up to 95! But oh well.

Although I wasn't on the tour im glad it all went well for the retro team.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah right, that's all good then, I had a horrible feeling we'd done some rare crossover and I didn't notice!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Everyone has been commenting that the return run was hellfire, I wish I'd done that way now! Ah well...

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I wasn't on the tour but your comments bring back happy memories of - cripes, DM - 1988 Laira Open Day.

Two thrashes down the West of England main line - out behind a pair of Egg-timers and back behind a pair of Grids. Suffice to say, the return journey had more grin-factor...

I swear the driver had hotwired the ammeter cutout and was on full power, before we'd even cleared platform-end at Plymouth North Road. Retro-hellfire indeed!!!

metrocammel

Thanks to everyone on here who supported us! I am really pleased with how the tour went, with no farces or delays. The feedback has so far been very positive indeed. I am also rather pleased that the sceptics who claimed 'a pair of Grids would never produce' wrong!

All in all a fantastic day, and I really must thank Cargo- D for securing the Grids from Hanson, and providing us with stock that featured working Air-Con and had no need for 'Emergency Lighting'(!) (However, some said it was a shame we didn't have the 'seedy backstreet club' subdude lighting effect which we had in Coach A on the August train!!)

Jordy

Established Member
Top day indeed, the return was particularly good (arguably because the grids were at the correct end ;)) nice to meet some new people and thanks to James for arranging it all :D

theblackwatch

Established Member
Well i had a most enjoyable day and the return run was HELL. A couple of phots are here http://redcow.fotopic.net/c1687280.html

Cheers to James for everything he did (well, the choice of stewards was a bit odd!!!) and the various neds who provided some decent company!

:D

I think I was the steward who 'chinged you up' on the outward journey - didn't realise it was you till James mentioned when we were having breakfast yesterday!

Must say that the return leg on Monday was the first time I've heard a proper 'thump' from a Grid for several years, something which was commonplace when I used to see them on coal trains in Yorkshire before they were withdrawn by EWS.

Chester025

Yep it was indeed an excellent day out! Many thanks to James & anyone else involved in making it happen. It was also nice to meet a few people of this forum.

P.S I hope you made your +8 at Brum 87015!

Status
Not open for further replies.