• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retro Railtours to Southend - Saturday 28 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

d1015fan

This isn't really a thread to be discussing pacer bashing :| Go and make your own if you wish ;)

many apologies all for being off topic. good idea of pacer bash thread I'll set one up and see if anyone comes across under NR general discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Southend Airshow now confirmed as going ahead but as expected Sat / Sun so not on railtour day. Should make it easier to get the tour down the line though, might even get a half decent run on a Sunday service.

Last edited:

badger1badger

Stock where the only opening windows are at the doors. Basically air-conditioned mark 2 and mark 3 stock.

Is that the same stock used spring bank last year ! I thought first class was very good !

Paul
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No Airshow this year at the moment. Unless council find a sponsor will be officially announced as CAPE at end of month.

Ps James 2x31 doesn't add up to the suggested 87 ...

Hi was it an 87 originally ?

Paul
I can't complain, but I won't be on it if it's coffins. Same schtick, different tour!

I quite like the " coffin " stock especially first class ! Why is it called coffin stock ?

4SRKT

Established Member
I quite like the " coffin " stock especially first class ! Why is it called coffin stock ?

Because you can't open the windows and if you want to lean out you have to go to the vestibule. This was never an issue on service trains hauled by rateable traction back in the day, as most passengers were normals so there wasn't stiff competition for windows, but tours are full of Vestibule Veg bagging the 4 opening windows per aircon coach, so most people can't get their heads out. In a mk I or mk II a/b/c you have 4 opening windows in the doors (6 in a mk I or mk IIa) and 16 opening windows, so a lot more people can lean out, and with the windows open you can hear the thrash even when not leaning out several coaches behind the loco.

alex57601

I don't think one was acquired AFAIK. With Mark Honey's untimely death 2 months ago I think the crank coach is down on their list of priorities if they are still in the market for one.

badger1badger

Can anyone confirm the traction yet ?

Is that the same stock used spring bank last year ! I thought first class was very good !

Paul

Hi was it an 87 originally ?

Paul

Masboroughlad

Established Member
NB Date change - now SATURDAY 28th MAY 2011.

No news of traction - which is unusual for the company.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Yep, it's 31s, in fact it should be 31454+31601!

Booked route from Stoke on Trent should have been via Uttoxeter, MML, West Hampstead Thameslink & Upper Holloway to Barking, but Stoke-Stenson Jn shut for Engineering Work, so it will now go via WCML to Harlesden Jn, City Line, Gospel Oak & Upper Holloway, so have to hope the Driver can get some speed out of the Old Girls south of Rugby, as all Charter Trains are booked via Kilsby & not Northampton.

TOC is DB Schenker.

I was trying to work out which DBS Drivers sign the different parts of the Railtour, any ideas?

Established Member
Any updates from the Retro crowd on here about this, or the planned ned leap ching from West Hampstead to Southend?

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Needless to say there's no chance of me making the start or finish times from Wakefield. I'll happily chip in if I can cadge a lift off someone.
Is there any chance of these timings being revised in the near future because it's an absolute killer trying to make arrangements for two nights ?

Arriva158

Needless to say there's no chance of me making the start or finish times from Wakefield. I'll happily chip in if I can cadge a lift off someone.
Is there any chance of these timings being revised in the near future because it's an absolute killer trying to make arrangements for two nights ?

The only way you could make it down for the tour is the 0515 EC service to Doncaster, then transfer to TPE 185 to Stockport which gets you in 8 minutes before the tour is due to go, on way back however you might be a bit stuffed but can easily get back to Leeds, no late 110 services on a sat night?

Established Member
8 minutes is a massive gamble really and not a situation anyone in there right mind would risk if they'd already paid the pounds in advance.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, I should never have moved away from Leeds :D

I did consider the TPE to Stockport but it is a bit of a risk.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hopefully timings should be released soon! I am sure James will confirm here as soon as he has them confirmed.

Any members of this forum considering this tour, you can get £10 off (in standard class) in order to get this discount simply send me a PM and I'll give you instructions on how to claim this discount.

This means that the standard class adult fare is reduced from £59 to £49, and the standard class child fare is reduced from £39 to £29.

But hurry; once we have filled our allocated space we may not be able to take any more bookings at these prices!
Any updates from the Retro crowd on here about this, or the planned ned leap ching from West Hampstead to Southend?
£20 is a possibility for West Hampstead - Southend (with no further reduction for a single). Which, if confirmed, is very reasonable, especially as you get the entire "Goblin" line in too! Also, we go a different way there and back as an added bonus.

Established Member
0525/2337 Leeds
0825/2108 Stoke
1315/1605 Southend

Routed via Colwich, Northampton, Kensal Gn Jn, Gospel Oak and Rainham both ways.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also a reminder that if you book in standard class, you can get £10 off, simply put Railforums member and your username (or something like that) on the back of the cheque. (If you wish to pay online with £10 off then send me a PM)

Whistler40145

Established Member
I presume that the locos are still 31454+31601?

Anyone know if 31454 is still in InterCity livery or whether it's been repainted into BARS Green?

Cheers

Established Member
I presume that the locos are still 31454+31601?

Anyone know if 31454 is still in InterCity livery or whether it's been repainted into BARS Green?

Cheers

Gen at Keighley over the weekend was that 31454 is indeed in Intercity...but...its broken and won't be working. 31190/601 lined up, with a 67 in tow for ETH purposes.

Does anyone know which station in Southend this train will be coming into? Also how many people from Rail Forums UK are confirmed in coming? I’m hoping I can get a ticket to come along, and hope that the air show still goes ahead it’s normally a good day if the weather is nice.

Neil

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Timings were very late to be released, so possibly not yet. I will try to find out.

Part fares

Part fares (Standard Class only) will also be available between individual stations in the north, these will be £5 one way between any two adjacent pick-up points, eg Leeds to Dewsbury.

Part fares are payable on board, cash only.

Mini Tour (London-Southend)

Full details on this page, but basically the Standard Class return fare from West Hampstead to Southend/Thorpe bay is £20, departure from West Hampstead is at 11:40 and arrival back is scheduled for 17:30. Note that West Hampstead is the North London Line station. For anyone with concerns about getting through the barriers, don't worry, we will be on hand to assist!

Again, pay on board, cash only.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Timings were very late to be released, so possibly not yet. I will try to find out.

Part fares

Part fares (Standard Class only) will also be available between individual stations in the north, these will be £5 one way between any two adjacent pick-up points, eg Leeds to Dewsbury.

Part fares are payable on board, cash only.

Mini Tour (London-Southend)

Full details on this page, but basically the Standard Class return fare from West Hampstead to Southend/Thorpe bay is £20, departure from West Hampstead is at 11:40 and arrival back is scheduled for 17:30. Note that West Hampstead is the North London Line station. For anyone with concerns about getting through the barriers, don't worry, we will be on hand to assist!

Again, pay on board, cash only.

Cheers Yorkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.