• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue Protection at Brighton

williamn

It only matters if you actually timetable trains with that 4 min connection with the new west coastway timetable in June Im not sure thats the case.
Of course what we really need is a low level Brighton Coastway station deconflicting the service with mainline services and allowing a through Southampton to Hastings service.
There are also connections from each Coastway onto London trains to consider

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
It only matters if you actually timetable trains with that 4 min connection with the new west coastway timetable in June Im not sure thats the case.
Of course what we really need is a low level Brighton Coastway station deconflicting the service with mainline services and allowing a through Southampton to Hastings service.

That's long been a dream of mine... Though given the height of the viaduct bringing the East Coastway route in towards Brighton station, the "low level" aspiration is intriguing.... But I've no doubt there's a crayonista somewhere who has a detailed plan of an E-N junction on the viaduct, diving steeply down under the carriage sidings, crossing below the depot, and meeting the tunnelled part of the Cliftonville Curve somewhere or other; though that would only serve Hove station, being well away from Brighton... Oh dear.

Haywain

Veteran Member
That would only stop when, in an ideal world, NR or someone makes an authoritative database of routing and fare rules, every ticket is either QR/Aztec code or contact less and RPIs can scan the tickets to see in 10s whether it's valid or not without implementing bogus rules and al.
10 seconds? You'd never get through a gateline if ticket checking was that slow.

Krokodil

Established Member
And what is the average?
The range is considerable. At one end of the scale selling a repeat fare (as in one I've already sold on the same train) to someone paying cash takes no time at all: "Same again? £4 please", print and done. At the other end of the scale you get something complicated like an excess, paying card and the machine decides to channel its inner tortoise. That could take five minutes to sort out.

Generally though it takes between 30-60 seconds.

Krokodil

Established Member
Okay so "generally" it takes 3 - 6 times longer than the supposed 10 second time for a ticket scan and lookup making your point utterly moot
The point was that 10 seconds is a long time. Ticket inspections only take that long if you're being very thorough and asking to see every railcard.

Which the one at Brighton is doing, including disabling all the e-ticket readers but not telling people until they're at the gates blocking those with smartcards and paper tickets. It is a farce.

Jonny

Established Member
I just looked at the NRES map of Brighton station on the National Rail Enquiries website, and while that map is diagrammatic it does seem like there isn't a lot of room.

Link: https://images.nationalrail.co.uk/e...f515a320d22406e415a29b3ed3/Brighton_SME-1.png via https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/brighton/

(Image alternate text: "Brighton Station Plan")

The point was that 10 seconds is a long time. Ticket inspections only take that long if you're being very thorough and asking to see every railcard.
Which is a measly six tickets per minute.

Sealink

This. Used 4 Greater Anglia trains yesterday and ticket checked 4 times. On my commute to work on SWR I've not had a ticket check on train in over a year, both ends of journey ungated and there have maybe been a couple of station checks in that time.

It's not surprising that if people hardly ever encounter a ticket check then some will decide it's not worth paying. Far better regular on board checks than putting on a block once or twice a year. It also helps justify the wages of having a second person on board and will detect short faring that barriers don't catch.

When I travel Dorchester to East Croydon, my ticket is generally checked twice on SWR - once from the Weymouth based guard and one from the Bournemouth guard. On the Southern connection from Southampton via Barnham it has been checked every time. I imagine in commuterland they rely on the barriers to do the job.

Last edited:

Craig1122

When I travel Dorchester to East Croydon, my ticket is generally checked twice on SWR - once from the Weymouth based guard and one from the Bournemouth. On the Southern connection from Southampton via Barnham it has been checked every time. I image in commuterland they rely on the barriers to do the job.

I've normally had checks when venturing further south on SWR. Trouble with relying on barriers in the suburban area is that a lot of stations are ungated or they're not in use at certain times of day. Also doesn't prevent short tickets or people claiming discounts they're not entitled to.

Another day, another missed connection with dangerous queues now forming on the west coastway platforms as trains arrive. This industry knows no better way to piss off customers and treat them all like criminals.

SussexSeagull

Sounds like they are using the setup from when Brighton play at home and they split the platforms into three, only difference being they leave the gate open for fans coming back from Falmer for them to join queue on the concourse.

dontteleport

Another day, another missed connection with dangerous queues now forming on the west coastway platforms as trains arrive. This industry knows no better way to piss off customers and treat them all like criminals.

Agreed - and just wait for somebody on here to spout some iteration of "if you don't like the railways nobody is forcing you to use them" as if it's somehow unreasonable to aspire to anything better.

williamn

Have you sent in a complaint to Southern? I intend tio.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Yes. Both on Twitter and formally. If this isn't resolved soon, I'll be getting my MP involved. This infuriates me more than anything GTR have done recently.
I think most MPs will have other things on their mind for the next few weeks.!
Are MPs really very interested in train services - they appear to have a wide range of other, possibly far more important, issues on their plate ?

Are MPs really very interested in train services - they appear to have a wide range of other, possibly far more important, issues on their plate ?
My local MP - Peter Kyle - is bragging about his actions in improving the railway service as part of his re-election campaign.

Parliament has been dissolved and he is no longer an MP.
He was when I posted at 21.33. Either way, this is pendantic and he is a prospective MP that will be keen to listen to issues within the community. Particularly conerns related to those he has successfully resolved in the past.

Established Member

Lots will be, yes. It’s an important part of national infrastructure, especially focussed around transport from London and the south east to other major conurbations. Surely that’s obvious to most people.

Ticket checking on the Seaford branch has got more thorough over the last six months.

Non-payment, or pay when challenged, is still endemic for the short hop between Newhaven and Seaford, and needs a purge.

I haven’t witnessed the specific arrangements being complained about at Brighton, but I am aware the coastway is a bit of a hot spot, hence overdue a crackdown. That ties in with the approach being seen at most operators of trying to recoup more of the revenue lost to fare evasion.

Last edited:

nanstallon

It's the silliest revenue operation I've ever encountered. Whilst ticketless travel is a concern, it treats the many fare paying passengers like s**t preventing them from making the tight connections that GTR refuse to retimetable.
'Stuff the customer'!

williamn

I don't know if anyone else has had trouble with the complaints form online - it won't work for me. The Southern X/twitter team have been helpful though and advised formalising any complaint and sending it to the customer service email address. They recognise the minimum connection is 5 minutes, and said that 'the team will endeavour to help people make this' but this hasn't been my experience.

OscarH

I don't know if anyone else has had trouble with the complaints form online - it won't work for me. The Southern X/twitter team have been helpful though and advised formalising any complaint and sending it to the customer service email address. They recognise the minimum connection is 5 minutes, and said that 'the team will endeavour to help people make this' but this hasn't been my experience.
Yeah, the online form is useless, just hanging on the last submit button by any chance? I always have to just email the address instead

paul1609

Established Member
It's the silliest revenue operation I've ever encountered. Whilst ticketless travel is a concern, it treats the many fare paying passengers like s**t preventing them from making the tight connections that GTR refuse to retimetable.
Isnt the West Coastway timetable completely recast from Sunday? My East to West Coastway connection has gone up to 20 mins.