• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revised EMR Regional Timetables - From 19th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDB

I've been provided the above information by a rep.
Any clues as to the selected Matlock services that will be through to Nottingham? Something sensible like peak services or something cynical like the first and last to pretend they've restored a train service to Spondon etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Same as the HST operated one in previous years?
0824/0943 ex Nottingham and 1140/1235 ex Skegness.

If they're only single 180s, which given the less than stellar availability they manage to acheive, seems likely, there will be a fair bit of overcrowded in the summer if loadings are similar to previous years.
Same as last years with 15x and additional stops at Netherfield, Radcliffe and Bingham on some. Both starting at Derby in the path of a Matlock to Nottingham so calling all intermediate stops between those two.

Any clues as to the selected Matlock services that will be through to Nottingham? Something sensible like peak services or something cynical like the first and last to pretend they've restored a train service to Spondon etc.
None at all, but the only one running right now is the last Matlock to Nottingham plus the odd Derby to Nottingham or vice versa short working. Eg 2257 NOT-DBY fast.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Same as last years with 15x and additional stops at Netherfield, Radcliffe and Bingham on some. Both starting at Derby in the path of a Matlock to Nottingham so calling all intermediate stops between those two.

None at all, but the only one running right now is the last Matlock to Nottingham plus the odd Derby to Nottingham or vice versa short working. Eg 2257 NOT-DBY fast.

Single 15x ?

STINT47

I'm currently on the 1807 from Newark to Nottingham. Full and standing but that's because the preceding train an hour earlier has been removed from the timetable. Did no one think that removing a train on an hourly service at when people need to go was the best service to cut?

I was thinking about who ran / runs the regional service worse Cemtrsl Trsins or EMR and have to go with EMR. Central Trsins were bad but I cannot remember them introducing a new timetable only to decimate it after a few weeks for the better part of a year and counting.

If things don't get better soon I may write to my MP and the DFT to ask them to take over the service.

DDB

I'm currently on the 1807 from Newark to Nottingham. Full and standing but that's because the preceding train an hour earlier has been removed from the timetable. Did no one think that removing a train on an hourly service at when people need to go was the best service to cut?

I was thinking about who ran / runs the regional service worse Cemtrsl Trsins or EMR and have to go with EMR. Central Trsins were bad but I cannot remember them introducing a new timetable only to decimate it after a few weeks for the better part of a year and counting.

If things don't get better soon I may write to my MP and the DFT to ask them to take over the service.
EMR introduced its emergency timetable in less than a fortnight and made some bad choices I assume because it was rushed. However in the almost year since they don't appear to have bothered thinking about it again to see if they can do better.

STINT47

My local MP for Broxtowe Daren Henry has sent out one of his frequent newsletters and has this to say in relation to the Nottingham to Matlock service.

EMR: Nottingham to Matlock Update

Following my previous update where I had written to the Secretary of State Grant Shapps regarding the Nottingham to Matlock Rail Service. The Department for Transport have confirmed that the present issue preventing the reinstation of the service is the lack of available rolling stock.

I have continued to support my constituents on this issue and met once again with EMR last week. I am working to arrange a virtual public meeting which EMR have agreed to attend, and I am hopeful that this will demonstrate the strength of local feeling as we continue to campaign to get this much valued service back into operation.

Anybody wishing to attend this meeting please do get in touch with my office and I will ensure you receive an invitation once the date has been finalised.

MCR247

Established Member
Nottingham is constrained by the two track approach from the east, an imbalance of west/east services and the presence of the depot requiring frequent shunts etc.

The lack of footbridges at the east end also doesn't help (and the centre overbridge is likely to be taken out of use for rail passengers to stem fare evasion - planning notices for listed building consent to gate off the platforms have been present for a while) although rumours are that that might be addressed at some point with a new overbridge.

Despite what RTT says (bearing in mind that has changed repeatedly already) there is certainly a chance of Nottingham - Mansfield Woodhouse and Nottingham - Matlock reappearing in May, apparently.

If the centre footbridge is taken out of use surely things will have to change in terms of platforming and/or the minimum connection time. Pulling into an empty Nottingham platform from the west and getting dumped in the rain on 1C, 3C, 4B, 6C or 7C is bad enough even with the centre bridge - it’ll also make it longer to get from the team to the platforms. I’m not entirely sure what it’ll do for fare evasion except give Beeston, Bulwell and Carlton a nice boost in passenger numbers. Especially with a certain TOC essentially no longer checking tickets but that’s getting off topic…

liamf656

If you remember why it was withdrawn, I doubt a petition will fix it anytime soon. When resources allow, these services will return

Peterthegreat

Established Member
If you remember why it was withdrawn, I doubt a petition will fix it anytime soon. When resources allow, these services will return
I wouldn't bank on it. Northern have today moved their rationale from "crew shortage" to "lack of passengers". I suspect the DfT will be holding this back.

This temporary timetable cannot keep going on for a year or more, it is either they bring back the direct Matlock to Nottingham service 7 days a week or something else will have to be re arranged

Well Spondon has reduced stops and Attenborough has reduced services from and to Derby, Passengers have to change at Derby for Nottingham when coming from Matlock, Matlock Bath, Cromford, Whatstandwell, Ambergate, Belper or Duffield, the connection at Derby isn't very good, people have to wait at Derby a long while

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Well Spondon has reduced stops and Attenborough has reduced services from and to Derby, Passengers have to change at Derby for Nottingham when coming from Matlock, Matlock Bath, Cromford, Whatstandwell, Ambergate, Belper or Duffield, the connection at Derby isn't very good, people have to wait at Derby a long while
Sorry I agree with what you are saying but I don't think an enforced wait at Derby is going to make EMR/DfT change their minds. Further cuts are being imposed by Northern from May.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Summer timetables published on the EMR website, no reference to services being under provided compared to the base [franchise specified] timetable.

Obviously no reference to the public statement of last June about services being restored "as swiftly as possible". No reference to the sterling work achieved by that dedicated team that they introduced and what it identified which it appears impossible to resolve a mere 11 months after the event [and as the timetables run to December 2022, a mere 18 months after).

Hey ho, hey ho;
It's off by car we go;
With a bucket and spade;
And some savings made;
Hi ho, hi ho, hi ho.

EMR 19 June 2021:

In recent weeks it has become apparent that our new timetable has not performed as expected resulting in short notice cancellations. We are sorry that we have not performed as we, or our customers, expect.

Everyone at EMR is immensely disappointed but we have introduced a dedicated team to fix these issues and reinstate these services as swiftly as possible. We are working to understand the detailed reasons behind those areas which are not working well.

While we fix these issues, we must introduce a reduced timetable which will run from Saturday 19th June until further notice. This will allow us to protect key services and routes such as those to Skegness - as well as ensuring we have sufficient capacity across the network. We will still run 85% of our normal timetable, which equates to over 460- trains per day. This reduction will help to reduce short notice cancellations and short forming which we know are immensely frustrating for our customers.

m_m

Just looked and I can't really see a difference between the timetables for the routes I use - absolute load of rubbish.

I just want to be able to get from NOT to LGE after a night out with more options than 21:30 (ish) or 23:45 (ish). There are even 2 services running between NOT and DBY between those times but not stopping (which would add 10 minutes to the entire journey even if most intervening stations were called at).

The railway can adapt to the leisure travel emphasis or die...it seems to want the latter. Or the government wants to latter for it, depending on your point of view.

DannyMich2018

Sunday's 1900 Sheffield to St Pancras- wonder why this on some Sunday's doesn't call at Mk Harborough or Kettering and some it does do?!

Established Member
Sunday's 1900 Sheffield to St Pancras- wonder why this on some Sunday's doesn't call at Mk Harborough or Kettering and some it does do?!
It will be down to engineering works and the timetables in place. This week it is a largely normal timetable with 6ph to London while last week there was only 3ph (one Sheffield, Nottingham and Corby) so the additional calls at Market Harborough and Kettering is in place of the second Nottingham service.

DannyMich2018

It will be down to engineering works and the timetables in place. This week it is a largely normal timetable with 6ph to London while last week there was only 3ph (one Sheffield, Nottingham and Corby) so the additional calls at Market Harborough and Kettering is in place of the second Nottingham service.
Yes I see. When 19.59 calls its a great connection off the 18.52 from Birmingham train.

Status
Not open for further replies.