RHDR - two trains in single track section at same time, going in opposite directions.

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by 2HAP, 12 Sep 2019.

1. 2HAP

2HAP Member

The RAIB are to publish a safety digest after two RHDR trains ended up on a single track section of line going in opposite directions. They stopped about 300m apart and no collision occurred.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/serious-operating-irregularity-at-romney-sands

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. UP13

UP13 Member

I thought they had a token system. Very worrying.

4. Edders23

Edders23 Member

never been to that one (too far away) but that certainly would put me off

5. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

It could happen on any single line without TPWS, including on the mainline if there are any such lines.

6. Edders23

Edders23 Member

I thought that's what the block token system was invented to prevent ?

7. flash

flash Member

A token system is only as reliable as the humans operating it!!!! The system is tried and tested but is still subject to human errors (I've no knowledge of the facts of this incident and I'm not judging what occurred), but to err is human :). If, as previous posters state, it worries them, then how do they cope with cars, bus transport, air transport etc - I'm fairly sure these individuals do not live in their living rooms waiting for the bus or plane to crash into their houses. Incidents happen everywhere in life, the important thing is to learn.

8. UP13

UP13 Member

I'd definitely recommend it. Each station is a destination on its own right. A fleet of 10 pacifics, dozen or so carriages per train, double track - scaled up it would blow other railways out of the water. It would also be 75mph running if scaled up.

9. Bletchleyite

It stops you taking a token that would permit a conflicting move (just as with a train staff you can't have it unless the driver of the train out of the section hands it over as there is only one). It doesn't, unless you have catch points unlocked by some sort of key on the token or TPWS on the starting signal (assuming there is one), physically stop a driver departing without the token.

In essence it reduces the risk of this happening to very low but doesn't zero it.

10. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

I agree. I’ve only ever visited it once but I absolutely loved it. A really unique experience.

11. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

I went with two sympathetic* normals on August Bank Holiday Monday. I hadn't been to New Romney since about 1958. I think it is an amazing line and operation. The locomotives are simply engineering and aesthetic beauties.

What I found special, in terms of comparison with many 'regular' preserved lines, is the fact the locomotives - with 12 and 14 coach trains in tow - have to work to their limits to keep time. Even if it's only 25 mph max speed, what with loco noise and the rolling and rocking along the track, it feels more like 75-80 mph.

I remember in an earlier thread in here somewhere, one correspondent complained that the scenery along the line consists mainly of back gardens. Well, this is partly true, it's obviously not the West Somerset or North Yorks Moors, but there are still plenty of open sections across the marsh areas too.

Whatever, passing another steam hauled "express" on the double track section is a real experience.

12. etr221

etr221 Member

The classic example where token working failed due to misuse was the Abermule collision on the Cambrian Railways in 1921.

As the saying goes, it is difficult to make things foolproof, because fools are so ingenious.

All safeworking systems *should* prevent accidents - and they do, until an ingenious fool (or maybe just a stupid one) manages to abuse them, and they don't.

13. Calthrop

Calthrop Established Member

And what's wrong with that? As the bard said, lamenting the demise of the Clogher Valley Railway --

"She ran past back gardens and down the main street,
    And frightened the horses she happened to meet..." :smile:

14. Edders23

Edders23 Member

I am more of a diesel man though so so Pacifics aren't necessarily a big draw

15. UP13

UP13 Member

There is always a diesel service and are scaled down models of Union Pacific diesels. They work harder with 14 carriages at 24mph than a mainline diesel with 4 coaches on a standard gauge railway. Arguably better thrash (in scale terms).

16. RichT54

RichT54 Member

I grew up on Romney Marsh in the late fifties/early sixties and have very fond memories of the RH&DR and always feel sad when I hear of incidents on the line. At least in this case there was no collision or injury, unlike some of the tragic events that have occurred in the past.

Agreed! There are some great shots of trains running at speed in the following video (which is by one of the mods on this site I believe?). The track looks a lot rougher here than I can recall in the past o_O

17. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Wow. See what you mean about the track, especially in the third clip!

18. 341o2

341o2 Established Member

The two issues which led to the Abermule collision were firstly that the station staff became blase about operation of the token instruments - anyone handy operated them and the train crew who did not check the token they received was the correct one. Every member of staff present were culpable to some degree in that correct procedures were not followed - an accident waiting to happen

19. Gus

Gus Member

Yes, that 3rd clip is very dramatic, it's a wonder that the driver didn't fall off the loco. :)

20. 341o2

341o2 Established Member

Nos 5 and 6 are Mountain or 4-8-2

21. Edders23

Edders23 Member

Having seen the way the trains bounce on that track definitely don't think i'll visit o_O

22. Bletchleyite

Yeah, that does look very rough!

23. UP13

UP13 Member

Indeed. Only mountain locomotives in the UK.

24. duffield

duffield Member

It's fine, I've ridden on it many times and it's nowhere near rough enough to be thrown about or unpleasant.

25. UP13

UP13 Member

It bounces that much on standard gauge. I imagine the one third scale makes it look much worse...

26. Llanigraham

Llanigraham On Moderation

Correct, plus video seems to accentuate it. Watch nearly any narrow gauge railway and they seem to be the same.

27. Rob F

Rob F Member

RH&DR is a fantastic day out. I thoroughly recommend it!

28. ian1944

ian1944 Member

I remember on a rail tour in the South Wales valleys many years ago, the most interesting thing being what was going on in some back gardens and behind some back windows. The train was outside the normal schedule of course, and obviously unexpected here and there.

29. 70014IronDuke

70014IronDuke Established Member

Dunno. It wasn't me that complained about it.

30. DavidGrain

DavidGrain Member

I don't know the details of this incident but I am aware of a single track incident at Aylesbury in 2007 with one of the special trains running on a bank holiday to Quainton Road encountering a freight loco using the line to run round a train in the siding. In that incident the shunter replaced the token in the machine while the loco was still on the mainline allowing the passenger train to obtain a token to enter the section.
    https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/two-trains-in-the-same-section-at-aylesbury

31. RichT54

RichT54 Member

The RAIB has issued a Safety Digest for the incident

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...g-irregularity-at-romney-sands-28-august-2019