• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ridiculous things shops do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Mostly irritating. Have people go any examples.

For me.

The time honoured habit of moving products around in the supermarket. Waste my time eh - so I will find the most senior person I can to take me to the right place.

Last few years I have noticed the absence of opening hours listed in the window. One shop had them on a pillar inside the store - not readable if the store is shut.

Labels saying "Temporarily out of stock" covering the normal product label showing the product description and price. What a waste of information. If the shelf is empty I can guess that the product on the description is out of stock - not only that but I can guess it is a temporary problem because the normal label is still there. Where it gets really frustrating is when you are looking for a product you do not know the exact location of. The shelf edge labels are hard enough to read but to hide them behind pointless information just makes my search harder. What a waste of effort for customers and staff.

Today I encountered.

Boots. Sandwiches - every shelf product label had a temporarily out of stock label covering the normal label. That was all sandwiches. Guess what, the shelves were almost full of sandwiches. I wanted to know the price of one but each product was in the wrong place so it took a lot of peeling back said over information to find the information I wanted !.

Superdrug. I wandered in looking for a drink. I noticed that the checkouts had moved again and the drinks had gone. The checkouts used to be along the open side into our shopping centre. The checkouts then got moved and grouped to force a single file queue that passes all the incidental things you do not need to buy. Today the checkouts had vanished. I eventually found them in the diagonally opposite corner furthest from the ext. Wow what is the most likely thing a customer is going to do straight after they have paid ?.

W.H.Smith. Now I have moaned before about the fact that two of the three entrances are locked shut, the lights inside are dim and so many people think the shop is shut. Furthermore I could not see any opening times. Well today I found the list of opening times hurrah - but. They were on the automatic sliding door at the very bottom. As I approached the sign the door opened automatically and the sign disappeared behind a poster in the adjacent window !.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Playing loud muzak, or quiet muzak, apparently it is to encourage people to linger and buy more. It encourages me to leave ASAP or not to use the store at all.
Building fancy new stores and demolishing perfectly good existing stores for no good reason.
Building shelves so high that I, a male of average height, can hardly reach them. Putting products in glass jars on said shelves!

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Playing loud muzak, or quiet muzak, apparently it is to encourage people to linger and buy more. It encourages me to leave ASAP or not to use the store at all.
Building fancy new stores and demolishing perfectly good existing stores for no good reason.
Building shelves so high that I, a male of average height, can hardly reach them. Putting products in glass jars on said shelves!
Or demolishing perfectly good shopping centres and not building the replacement - as in Croydon.

I am 6ft 2" and even I struggle for the top shelf sometimes. Always helping little old ladies !.

I wish the price labels for the bottom shelves faced upwards more. I do not know of many customers with eyes below their knees.

Pesky flappy extra bits sticking out from the edge of the shelf with incidental extras on and hiding the label behind for the product you are actually after.

pdeaves

Established Member
Single queue for a line of counters. Customers shuffle forward one by one according to which assistant is available next. It's eventually my turn. The till number is called, I step forward and ask for what I've been queueing ages for. Oh no, they say, you should have gone to that counter if you wanted that. How was I, as a customer supposed to know that, and how do I now muscle into the queue again at the right time for that cashier? I went elsewhere.
This was a Post Office in a WH Smith store. I wanted new issue stamps.

I am 6ft 2" and even I struggle for the top shelf sometimes. Always helping little old ladies !.
As an aside, why is it socially acceptable (even if not desirable) to ask tall people to help reach high shelves, but socially unacceptable to ask short people to help reach low shelves?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Single queue for a line of counters. Customers shuffle forward one by one according to which assistant is available next. It's eventually my turn. The till number is called, I step forward and ask for what I've been queueing ages for. Oh no, they say, you should have gone to that counter if you wanted that. How was I, as a customer supposed to know that, and how do I now muscle into the queue again at the right time for that cashier? I went elsewhere.
This was a Post Office in a WH Smith store. I wanted new issue stamps.

As an aside, why is it socially acceptable (even if not desirable) to ask tall people to help reach high shelves, but socially unacceptable to ask short people to help reach low shelves?
You've reminded me. My better half (of mature age) was buying a bottle of wine from Sainsburys local. No manned checkouts were manned. So she dared to try the self service tills. Of course I had to explain to her that the reason the paying stage was not forthcoming was because the wine needed some one to verify she was over 18. Problem was the assistant on duty could not authorise it because she was under 18 !.

One of these days I am just going to nick it.

It is discrimination against tall people I tell you. All those low door frames - how dare they hurt me.

skyhigh

Established Member
The time honoured habit of moving products around in the supermarket. Waste my time eh - so I will find the most senior person I can to take me to the right place.
If you're referring to the latest changes, they're as a result of legislative changes around the location of high fat/sugar products. The supermarkets are just as unhappy as you at having to reshuffle, so insisting on getting the store manager to help you find the bread just makes you look a bit of a twit.

Gloster

Established Member
Having deep shelves so that you have to twist yourself around if you want to get your arm in far enough to grab something of which the only remaining examples are at the back, which is not good for someone with damaged back muscles. If it is the top or bottom shelf you have no chance. I have found the only way is to turn my walking stick around, grab it just above the ferrule and use the handle to pull the item forward.

Urobach

The small minority of shops (such as my local Morrisons) having charity people waiting at the shop exit to get you to sign up to their direct debit. Tends to lead me to shop elsewhere.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
If you're referring to the latest changes, they're as a result of legislative changes around the location of high fat/sugar products. The supermarkets are just as unhappy as you at having to reshuffle, so insisting on getting the store manager to help you find the bread just makes you look a bit of a twit.
No was referring to the last few decades or more. I have not yet really noticed the high sugar items getting grouped. Probably because I avoid them anyway so never looking for them. A friend of mine did notice that the drinks for the meal deal were grouped with non meal deal drinks (Coke with Pepsi) perhaps that is some of the sugar ghetto creating ?.

pdeaves

Established Member
Previously, moving items around was to try and get the ‘regular order’ customer to see other products, that they may then be tempted to buy. It never worked with me but there must have been some success.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Shops which locate the mens clothing department as far as possible away from the entrance, so that we have to waste time passing through areas for which we have zero interest, and are never going to buy anything.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Shops which locate the mens clothing department as far as possible away from the entrance, so that we have to waste time passing through areas for which we have zero interest, and are never going to buy anything.
Lost leaders like milk were always at the back of the store.

But yes, I am one of those who wants to be in, get stuff and out. I remember abandoning Boots in favour of Superdrug because it was a lot smaller and so I could get in and out within my lunch (half) hour instead of wasting time looking for things.

D6975

Established Member
My local Tesco has stopped stocking the cheapest version of items.
So take for example a normal bag of sweets (200-250gm ish).
there used to be the branded ones like Maynards etc at about 1.20-1.30 a bag
then there were the normal Tesco branded at 85p
then Ms Mollys (Tesco own value brand) at 29p
The cheapest one has now been removed from sale, causing a 29p to 85p rise overnight, that's very nearly a 3x rise in price.
Similarly 2 litres of lemonade has gone from the cheapest (Stockwell, again Tesco own value brand) at 25p to normal Tesco brand at 80p, that's a well over 3x price rise.
There are more, has your local Tesco or whatever done the same?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The cheapest one has now been removed from sale, causing a 29p to 85p rise overnight, that's very nearly a 3x rise in price.
Similarly 2 litres of lemonade has gone from the cheapest (Stockwell, again Tesco own value brand) at 25p to normal Tesco brand at 80p, that's a well over 3x price rise.
I am wondering. Could the cheapest sweets be a victim of the sugar tax ?. I don't know because I (think I) avoid sugar.

CarltonA

I've noticed is some places that sell shoes (Marks & Spencer in particular), the larger sizes are at the bottom and small stuff on the top leading (in general) to the taller person stooping down and the shorter person straining to reach the top shelf.

The sports retailer Decathlon have a weird "stealth sink" system at their self service checkouts where a customer is expected to plunge their purchases in before being asked how much to pay. It would not work for me, leading to a patronising member of staff breaking off his chat with colleagues to show me how simple it was. It would not work for him either and he had to override the system to get a result.

D6975

Established Member
I am wondering. Could the cheapest sweets be a victim of the sugar tax ?. I don't know because I (think I) avoid sugar.
Sugar tax only applies to drinks.
The cheapest lemonade was already sugar free, so no excuse there.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The sweets seem to be discontinued, but the lemonade is still for sale. My local has 5 bottles left at 23p each of the Stockwell stuff.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Having deep shelves so that you have to twist yourself around if you want to get your arm in far enough to grab something of which the only remaining examples are at the back, which is not good for someone with damaged back muscles. If it is the top or bottom shelf you have no chance. I have found the only way is to turn my walking stick around, grab it just above the ferrule and use the handle to pull the item forward.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who does that! Mind you, not so good an idea with eggs, which supermarkets seem determined to put on higher shelves.

johntea

Established Member
Trying to flog you something extra at the checkout

‘Want some chocolate for a quid?!’
‘Want a lottery for tonight?!’
etc

Haven’t used Argos in years but they used to ask if I wanted insurance and put it on a high APR Argos credit card for literally every electrical purchase even as low as £20!

Online is the sane experience I guess but it’s a lot easier to say no to a computer screen than a poor member of staff trying to hit their targets!

Kite159

Veteran Member

I noticed that the last time I was in my local Tesco, the 29p "Ms Mollys" midget gems have gone, replaced by a Tesco own brand for 85p.

Whats the betting that it's the exact same product but in a different package?

midland1

The small minority of shops (such as my local Morrisons) having charity people waiting at the shop exit to get you to sign up to their direct debit. Tends to lead me to shop elsewhere.
Some charity people once stopped me and asked whether I liked animals. I said yes I think they are delicious :D.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Trying to flog you something extra at the checkout

‘Want a lottery for tonight?!’
Certainly after Autumn 2021 that would not fall within the 'Healthy Play' guidelines issued to National Lottery retailers, and could result in a store losing its licence. Each store gets 'mystery shopper' visits and, in my town, Tesco lost its licence for quite some while.

johntea

Established Member
I visit B&M every Saturday afternoon and 8 visits out of 10 they’ll ask!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I visit B&M every Saturday afternoon and 8 visits out of 10 they’ll ask!
My dogwalker's mother works in B&M on the till - I'll find out if she gets pressured like that. Mind you, not sure they have a lottery terminal.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Supermarkets move stuff round all the time, it is quite deliberate.

mikeg

Established Member
Supermarkets move stuff round all the time, it is quite deliberate.
The supermarket where I work deliberately keeps this to a minimum as it has a high cost and as you say confuses customers. But of course tastes change and in order to maintain some logical order to things, we have to move things from time to time. For example, a few years ago kefir was above the milk, now it's on health drinks. Reason? A few years ago we only stocked two types. Now we have about 15 lines of it. But demand seems to have gone down for benecol, yakult etc so makes sense to delete some of those lines, move the kefir over there.
The vegetarian and vegan ranges have expanded significantly and bagged salad isn't as popular as it once was. Coleslaw used to be on the deli section, and vegetarian is a bit on from there. But a few years ago coleslaw was moved to salad, as fewer lines of bagged salad and this makes way to expand the vegetarian section further into deli, to give you another example.
Of course them you get where sections have a knock on effect on others too. What's your solution. Just find a space for new lines and leave gaps?

Words are my own, not those of my employer.

najaB

Veteran Member
It's quite deliberate - if you spend more time looking around then you're likely to spend more.

zero

Is it socially unacceptable? I (a medium-height person) have been asked for help getting things from low shelves by people who looked like they would have trouble bending down, which I did gladly.

The sports retailer Decathlon have a weird "stealth sink" system at their self service checkouts where a customer is expected to plunge their purchases in before being asked how much to pay. It would not work for me, leading to a patronising member of staff breaking off his chat with colleagues to show me how simple it was. It would not work for him either and he had to override the system to get a result.

No excuse for staff being rude, but I've now used those sinks several times and they've worked well, faster than having to scan things individually.

The first time I used one, the staff member was also slightly patronising: "you know you can just dump everything in all at once". I had been putting my purchases in one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.