• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rishi Sunak and the Conservative Party.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
In the Tory party? No. Even if I could be bothered to drudge through their backbenches I'd really prefer to just the whole thing implode
I see your point there, sooner we're rid of the lot of them the better. But does anyone have any thoughts on who might do the job any better than Sunak? I'm inclined to think the fundamental conflicts that have grown and festered within the party over the past decade make it fundamentally unmanageable, whoever tries to do so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Michael Gove has always appeared to me as one of the few competent senior Conservatives who would be better at Rishi Sunak's job. Gove seems capable of running a ministry and getting things done. I'm not saying I want him to be PM or that I agree with many of the things he has done, but he appears somewhat competent and capable, especially in comparison with most of the rest of them.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm not saying I want him to be PM or that I agree with many of the things he has done, but he appears somewhat competent and capable, especially in comparison with most of the rest of them.
Same here. He's always come across to me as the best of a bad bunch. And, unlike a lot of the others, he at least does a decent impression of someone who actually believe what he says and says what he believes.

uglymonkey

Why on earth do they have to go more and more right wing to get "better" support, surely this is pushing them further and further away from their traditional right of centre position and alienating a fair proportion of their historical supporters. I don't really know what they stand for ( or any of the parties to be honest) and would really struggle to decide who to vote for in a GE.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Since we don't have a presidential system, you vote for the candidate who you think will best represent your constituency.

If there's anything the last few years should have taught us all, it's that unless you're a party member, you have zero say in who becomes PM, and unless you are an MP yourself, you have zero say in when they go.
I know that but I, and I'd imagine like many people, tend to vote for the person who represents the party I want in power. There's not really much to choose between candidates either.

jon0844

Veteran Member
This whole belief that there's a massive silent majority out there always falls apart when it comes to elections. Anyone can commission bots to push narratives and respond to posts based on keywords or simple-AI. People can pay to influence on social media.

They can pretend the whole world supports their view, but when it comes to a blind vote, you quickly see how few people are onboard.

Moving further to the right is insane, just as Labour got nowhere when it tried going further to the left.

If such a silent majority existed, we'd have Nigel Farage as PM today.

jon81uk

People tend to drift rightward as they get older, although there are some signs that this has lessened in the UK in recent years.
Thats yet another thing us millenials have stopped doing. In both Britain and the US are by far the least conservative 35-year-olds in recorded history.
This is borne out by US survey data showing that, having reached political maturity in the aftermath of the global financial crisis, millennials are tacking much further to the left on economics than previous generations did, favouring greater redistribution from rich to poor. Similar patterns are evident in Britain, where millennials are more economically leftwing than Gen-Xers and boomers were at the same age, and Brexit has alienated a higher share of former Tory backers among this generation than any other. Even before Truss, two-thirds of millennials who had backed the Conservatives before the EU referendum were no longer planning to vote for the party again, and one in four said they now strongly disliked the Tories.

Basically the tories seem to think everyone wants to stop the boats when actually we just want to be able to afford somewhere to live.

dosxuk

Established Member
This whole belief that there's a massive silent majority out there always falls apart when it comes to elections.
It's not so much the silent majority they're currently worrying about, than the noisy minority who are actively talking about ditching the Tories for Reform. They've admitted as much themselves that if Farage comes back and they don't make moves to attract those voters, it could be an extinction level result for the party. They've already abandoned the centre, and the overtures they make towards those voters to try and get them back just get rebuffed and incense the Reform lot, so they've neatly boxed themselves into a situation where they're reliant on a minority just to keep themselves going.

Gloster

Established Member
Why on earth do they have to go more and more right wing to get "better" support, surely this is pushing them further and further away from their traditional right of centre position and alienating a fair proportion of their historical supporters. I don't really know what they stand for ( or any of the parties to be honest) and would really struggle to decide who to vote for in a GE.

Because it suits their paymasters and cronies, the people who will give them lucrative jobs. There have always been some MPs who only went into Parliament because it was a way to make connections and money, but now the Conservative Party is full of them and they have taken control.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's fair to say that if you're looking to grift and make a good living, you're more likely going to get support from corporations and hedge funds than ethical companies more left-leaning.

Typhoon

Established Member
They seem to be scared of being outflanked by Reform. Hopefully the Wellingborough by-election will show that Reform is, at best, a 'third party'. Many traditional Conservatives are of the 'Living within their means' types who don't find the policies that the likes of Truss advocate at all in line with their values.

Moving further to the right is insane, just as Labour got nowhere when it tried going further to the left.
Exactly, which is why the Corbynistas need to keep their mouths shut. (I notice one or two still seem to think they have something to offer).

There have always been some MPs who only went into Parliament because it was a way to make connections and money, but now the Conservative Party is full of them and they have taken control.
True - the Chopes, Fabricants, Redwoods and Swaynes have always been with us, tolerated by moderate Tories who could always say to a constituent that they could be in a worse position, but now it is moderates who are thin on the ground. Regarding the money-making, it is no longer that MPs have second jobs that is the problem, in too many cases being an MP is their 'second job'.

telstarbox

Established Member
Electoral Calculus currently forecasts that Reform UK will come second (to Labour) in Barnsley Central, Barnsley South, Hull East, Sheffield Brightside, South Shields and a few others. This suggests they're taking the socially conservative / "left behind" votes off the Tories.

It also forecasts that Labour would win the Ashfield seat from Lee Anderson with just 28% of the vote due to an even split between the Tories and Reform UK.

SteveM70

Established Member
And now Miriam Cates at PMQs advocating banning the under 16s from owning smartphones or accessing social media. What happened to the party of small government?

Typhoon

Established Member
Electoral Calculus currently forecasts that Reform UK will come second (to Labour) in Barnsley Central, Barnsley South, Hull East, Sheffield Brightside, South Shields and a few others. This suggests they're taking the socially conservative / "left behind" votes off the Tories.

It also forecasts that Labour would win the Ashfield seat from Lee Anderson with just 28% of the vote due to an even split between the Tories and Reform UK.
In some of those areas, principally Barnsley, the Brexit Party performed well last time round, so would be expected to do well.

dangie

Established Member
Why does everyone in politics seem so angry nowadays? We see it massively in the US at the moment and we see it here.
I think it’s because politics has become like a sport, one team against the other. Non of them are working towards what they should be working towards….. the good of the country.

jfollows

Established Member
Why does everyone in politics seem so angry nowadays? We see it massively in the US at the moment and we see it here.
I also think that for the last 20 years or so people get incensed about what others say, not just about what they do. Marriages split because of differences of opinion over things like leaving the EU. My brother-in-law was in favour, my sister wasn't, but they seem to get on still, and I certainly don't fall out with my brother-in-law, we just laugh about our differences.
The idea of "agreeing to disagree" seems to have fallen out of favour.
I loathe Boris Johnson and all he has done, but I'm not angry, I'm just sad, and I'll do my bit constructively to repair the damage he has caused in a positive way. I wasn't angry about the 2019 election result, either.
But I really think that legislation against "glorifying terrorism" has gone too far, if I want to say "Osama bin Laden was right" then why shouldn't I? Of course I don't think that, but I have a right to think and say it don't I?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think it’s because politics has become like a sport, one team against the other. Non of them are working towards what they should be working towards….. the good of the country.

This.

It means that you'd willingly make life worse for yourself if it meant that someone with opposing views lost out.

Thirteen

Honestly, if could have a world without rent a gobs like Owen Jones, J'OB as well as the likes of GB News and TalkTV, things would be a lot calmer.

jfollows

Established Member
Honestly, if could have a world without rent a gobs like Owen Jones, J'OB as well as the likes of GB News and TalkTV, things would be a lot calmer.
Yes, some of what Owen Jones says is spot on, but it gets obscured by all the spittle and hatred which accompanies it. A lot of what is says is complete tosh as well, mind you.
EDIT I guess it's the difference between the queer voice from Stockport (him) and the queer voice from Bramhall (me, at least where I was born).

On Moderation
Michael Gove has always appeared to me as one of the few competent senior Conservatives who would be better at Rishi Sunak's job. Gove seems capable of running a ministry and getting things done. I'm not saying I want him to be PM or that I agree with many of the things he has done, but he appears somewhat competent and capable, especially in comparison with most of the rest of them.
He has a good reputation in terms of ability to master a brief, run a department and get things done.

He also torpedoed Johnson’s first attempt to become leader, which is something else in his favour.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Indeed. For certain people it seems winning the argument is more important than whether the side that wins has the best answer.

The Eton debating society (if there is such a thing) and the Oxford Union have a lot to answer for.

david1212

Established Member
He has a good reputation in terms of ability to master a brief, run a department and get things done.

I don't disagree with this.

He also torpedoed Johnson’s first attempt to become leader, which is something else in his favour.

The first part is true. However to me it was betrayal to withdraw his backing of Johnson then further to stand himself he was putting him before the party.
The fact that in time Johnson became PM and was exposed for misleading the Commons and the country about Partygate is directly irrelevant.

On Moderation
The fact that in time Johnson became PM and was exposed for misleading the Commons and the country about Partygate is directly irrelevant.
It isn’t irrelevant. Gove had been working with Johnson so knew what he was like. Everyone who has ever worked with Johnson knows what he is like - utterly unfit for high office. There was nothing surprising about Johnson’s behaviour once he became PM.

Thirteen

Yes, some of what Owen Jones says is spot on, but it gets obscured by all the spittle and hatred which accompanies it. A lot of what is says is complete tosh as well, mind you.
EDIT I guess it's the difference between the queer voice from Stockport (him) and the queer voice from Bramhall (me, at least where I was born).
Owen Jones always seem angry all the time and it's not healthy. JOB is similar as well.

The Ham

Established Member
Indeed. For certain people it seems winning the argument is more important than whether the side that wins has the best answer.

The Eton debating society (if there is such a thing) and the Oxford Union have a lot to answer for.

There's a politician in the US who has pointed out that there's a lot of others who behave one way (load, angry, etc.) when it's possible that there's media about, however in the closed seasons they are very different. Almost as if they are acting one way so that they are seen to be doing what is expected of them.

Whilst I don't think we're there (at least not to the same extent as a lot of the select committees tend to be very much working as a team to get answers from those before them, rather than ensuring that the party phrases are uttered) it is something which would make it system much worse if it were to happen more than it does.

takno

Established Member
Owen Jones always seem angry all the time and it's not healthy. JOB is similar as well.
I think there's a lot to be angry about at the minute, and very actively following politics isn't healthy for anybody. Whilst I don't consume a whole lot of either of them, I'd say that Owen Jones is angry and personally offended the whole time, and is quite often wrong, which is extremely grating. JOB is frustrated and on a mission, but holds it together better and is generally right.

I recommend a light dip into Norwegian politics, where there's a thrilling ongoing scandal about whether various government ministers committed plagiarism in their masters theses. Coming from a UK standpoint it can be quite astonishing to hear that some ministers have a master's degree, and in a relevant subject to boot, but either way the whole thing seems less doom-laden