• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT strike action

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalaxyDog

"Why are the RMT doing this?"

It's simple - at the last minute, now that the government have averted more planned strikes and also managed to reserve the Coronation from being affected by strikes - they've thrown a hand grenade into the proposed agreement that simply was not there before.

The solution previously offered was a two step agreement.
Step 1)was the 5% / £1750 payrise, which also included being backpaid to March 2022. This would help people with cost of living, increased bills etc. Furthermore, it was tabled initially as with very few strings attached and no attacks on working conditions. The only real condition was, by accepting this, the RMT and delegates would enter into the "negotiating framework for 'Workforce Changes'. That was it, plain and simple. A simple and amenable resolution.

Step 2)would be the negotiations over "workforce changes" and mainly be focused on Ts and Cs, of which we suspect many would be watered down into a compromise.
However, it would seem that the Step 1)offer was changed yesterday from few strings attached, to, suddenly, "if you accept step 1) you must agree the dispute is over and you cannot call strike action over step 2)'s outcomes."
Which, in a roundabout and devious way is essentially stripping us of the right to fight against the dreadful Ts and Cs which is why we rejected the poor December offer. [A lot of RMT would have accepted 4+4% if Ts and Cs were left alone.]

Just need to say for those at the back.
Also, it's Eurovision. Not the end of the world. People seem to forget that ther RMT have already cancelled/suspended/altered strike action to allow the public to travel on no less than three important occasions during the dispute [Royal mourning and the Queue, Remembrance week so veterans could attend the Royal British Legion commemorations for two examples...] If there's diplomatic fallout, hopefully it will highlight just how shoddily and treacherously the Tory government has pillaged this country into the ground.

Afterall, when doctors, nurses and teachers are going on strike, and your so called government is having to resort to threatening to sack striking nurses....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Smidster

Well it was nice to have a few weeks where the RMT and ASLEF allowed us to get on with life and do stuff.

Main job for today then is to cancel any plans for the Summer - Thanks folks.

Smidster

Good luck to all the striking rail workers. The British public support you and stand by you. We have to defeat this ridiculous government.

I agree the Government are terrible but I absolutely do not support Strikes as you are wrecking my life

and polling suggests I am not the minority.

footprints

That what this means: From RMT as posted earlier.

Quote:
Astonishingly, the RDG confirmed that the proposed Year One payment of 5% or £1750 is dependent on our dispute being formally terminated and no further action being taken. This would mean having to move into stage two discussions regarding changes to working practices and terms and conditions without an industrial action mandate being in place, leaving the Union dis-armed and leaving members vulnerable in the face of detrimental proposals and a very poor pay offer.
End Quote.

You can't take industrial action if you have agreed to take the 5%/1750 pay offer on the bases of the above.
It doesn't mean that. The RMT are still free to ballot for industrial action if or when the second phase of negotiations collapses.

WatcherZero

Established Member
If you thought ASLEF targeting the FA Cup final when both Manchester clubs would be in London was just a coincidence they had the gall to phone both clubs the day before the strike announcement to tell them they were intentionally targeting their match. And then RMT hours later announcing it was co-ordinating with a strike on the Eurovision and re-balloting to renew its elapsed six month mandate so it could join the strikes later in May and June.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If you thought RMT targeting the FA Cup final when both Manchester clubs would be in London was just a coincidence they had the gall to phone both clubs the day before the strike announcement to tell them they were intentionally targeting their match.
How would it seem to the the public at large if the FA made an announcement that as a result of the proposed rail strike, the date of the FA Cup Final was being changed to a non-strike day.

Furryanimal

Only yesterday I was going to book a ticket for a cricket match in Worcester in August.Now I'll wait until two weeks before.Fingers crossed.
At least trips to Cheltenham and Neath are safe as I can get there with TFW.
Not planning anything else now.

KM1991

If you thought RMT targeting the FA Cup final when both Manchester clubs would be in London was just a coincidence they had the gall to phone both clubs the day before the strike announcement to tell them they were intentionally targeting their match.
Well that’s funny…considering the RMT haven’t announced any strike action for that date.

Do you usually make up complete rubbish?

Drogba11CFC

Am I right in thinking that no further strike dates will be announced until after the strike on 13th May is "spent"? I was thinking of moving my trip to the Southwest from the overtime ban week (15th-18th May) to the one after.

rmt4ever

I agree the Government are terrible but I absolutely do not support Strikes as you are wrecking my life

and polling suggests I am not the minority.
Workers are left with no other choice, like teachers, Jnr Drs, nurses etc.

I support them all despite the huge upheaval. Some inconvenience to myself and others is a small price I am willing to pay if it secures these workers the payrise and conditions they deserve.

Bantamzen

Established Member

I support them all despite the huge upheaval. Some inconvenience to myself and others is a small price I am willing to pay if it secures these workers the payrise and conditions they deserve.
Good for you, I have no problem with you sticking to your convictions. Just don't assume you speak for everyone else.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking that no further strike dates will be announced until after the strike on 13th May is "spent"? I was thinking of moving my trip to the Southwest from the overtime ban week (15th-18th May) to the one after.
The whole point of calling industrial action is to cause disruption and uncertainty. However, it has generally been the practice in the past that the unions have waited until a strike is spent before announcing another one.

Established Member

How nice to read. Most posters on here support the government, unfortunately!

KM1991

RDG have stated nothing has changed, quoted below:

Steve Montgomery, Chair of the Rail Delivery Group said:

“We are blindsided by the RMT executive’s announcement - nothing has changed in the offer agreed two weeks ago by the RMT leadership in the negotiating room.

“The RMT are negotiating in bad faith, again denying their members a say on a fair pay deal, needlessly disrupting the lives of millions of our passengers, and undermining the viability of an industry critical to Britain’s economy.”

So what’s really going on here?

Last edited:

Bluejays

RDG have stated nothing has changed. So what’s really going on here?
I think what's going on is that the wording was pretty ambiguous. The RDG have now confirmed what slant on the wording they are going to be following.

There is in effect no split between 1st and 2nd phase. With the 1st phase money not being payable until stage 2 agreement

gazzaa2

Is it too late to give Eurovision to Glasgow now who were also applying at the time? Scot Rail will be running at least.

KM1991

I think what's going on is that the wording was pretty ambiguous. The RDG have now confirmed what slant on the wording they are going to be following.

There is in effect no split between 1st and 2nd phase. With the 1st phase money not being payable until stage 2 agreement
I understand…but surely we should be entering stage 2 in the hope of reaching an agreement in the 3 month company council negotiations period. If no agreement can be made, then seek a renewed mandate for industrial action, as the pay offer document states.

What is wrong with that position? What do we lose by not following this arrangement?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
RDG have stated nothing has changed. So what’s really going on here?
A lack of progress and continued intransigence sounds like reasonable grounds for industrial action.

Of note is that the RMT are currently balloting members on a renewed mandate, so this was potentially one of the last chances to take action under the current one.

Is it too late to give Eurovision to Glasgow now who were also applying at the time? Scot Rail will be running at least.
Yes.

I think you are overplaying the role of the railway in the event. Merseyrail will still be running in any case.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No further strikes can be announced until a new mandate is in place, for which balloting will shortly be underway. Of course, there's every chance that there will be further mandate. Nowhere is safe from strikes now, unless you're within the 2 week notice period.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

But what if it doesn't secure the stated payrises and conditions?

michael74

So why didn't the RDG correct the RMT when for weeks RMT Comms to members have been talking about the 2 stage process? (Yes I know we can't trust them/cold dead hand of the Govt etc etc). But also how did the RMT miss this if they are supposed to be pouring over every last word if it was ambiguous why didn't they seek clarity?

KM1991

So why didn't the RDG correct the RMT when for weeks RMT Comms to members have been talking about the 2 stage process? (Yes I know we can't trust them/cold dead hand of the Govt etc etc). But also how did the RMT miss this if they are supposed to be pouring over every last word if it was ambiguous why didn't they seek clarity?
The deal is exactly the same as before.

If we accept stage one, then no industrial action until negotiations at company council level during stage 2 have been exhausted.

It’s literally the exact same offer.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
"Why are the RMT doing this?"

It's simple - at the last minute, now that the government have averted more planned strikes and also managed to reserve the Coronation from being affected by strikes - they've thrown a hand grenade into the proposed agreement that simply was not there before.

The solution previously offered was a two step agreement.
Step 1)was the 5% / £1750 payrise, which also included being backpaid to March 2022. This would help people with cost of living, increased bills etc. Furthermore, it was tabled initially as with very few strings attached and no attacks on working conditions. The only real condition was, by accepting this, the RMT and delegates would enter into the "negotiating framework for 'Workforce Changes'. That was it, plain and simple. A simple and amenable resolution.

Step 2)would be the negotiations over "workforce changes" and mainly be focused on Ts and Cs, of which we suspect many would be watered down into a compromise.
However, it would seem that the Step 1)offer was changed yesterday from few strings attached, to, suddenly, "if you accept step 1) you must agree the dispute is over and you cannot call strike action over step 2)'s outcomes."
Which, in a roundabout and devious way is essentially stripping us of the right to fight against the dreadful Ts and Cs which is why we rejected the poor December offer. [A lot of RMT would have accepted 4+4% if Ts and Cs were left alone.]

Just need to say for those at the back.
Also, it's Eurovision. Not the end of the world. People seem to forget that ther RMT have already cancelled/suspended/altered strike action to allow the public to travel on no less than three important occasions during the dispute [Royal mourning and the Queue, Remembrance week so veterans could attend the Royal British Legion commemorations for two examples...] If there's diplomatic fallout, hopefully it will highlight just how shoddily and treacherously the Tory government has pillaged this country into the ground.

Afterall, when doctors, nurses and teachers are going on strike, and your so called government is having to resort to threatening to sack striking nurses....

The half-wit Government playing silly buggers again.

Who'd have thunk it.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
- Merseyrail aren't in dispute
- TfW aren't in dispute
- Previous Northern RMT strike service has had Liverpool - Manchester - Airport running.
- Avanti usually run a service on strike days.
(no clue on LNWR and TPE)

Established Member
Which was elected with a substantial majority in 2019.

It wasn’t elected by a substantial majority, though, not on any measure.

This government, the third since the last GE, hasn’t been determined by anybody outside of the Tory party.

The Conservatives as a whole were elected by a minority of the voting population, such is the way our system works.

gazzaa2

- Merseyrail aren't in dispute
- TfW aren't in dispute
- Previous Northern RMT strike service has had Liverpool - Manchester - Airport running.
- Avanti usually run a service on strike days.
(no clue on LNWR and TPE)

The Friday will hurt as well though, they've coordinated it with ASLEF. I suppose if it was in Glasgow they'd still struggle to get up to Scotland on Avanti/LNR/TPE.

I was looking to travel that weekend a month ago and Avanti warned services were going to be extremely busy even with a normal service that weekend heading to Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.