• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT Strike on SWR Train Service Information / Travel Advice (latest action suspended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Following the announcement of further industrial action by RMT members on SWR in two weeks' time (https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-announces-further-two-day24220/), this thread is specifically created for members seeking travel advice and posting updates on service information when they become available.

You are reminded this thread is not to be used for any discussion of the dispute itself. Such posts will be removed without question and infractions may be issued to those who ignore this requirement, on any side of the argument.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWT_USER

Is it fair to assume a full 5 days of disruption? Presumably SWR won't bother attempting to run anything like a normal service on the Wednesday as with the previous 'non strike' day in December?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Is it fair to assume a full 5 days of disruption? Presumably SWR won't bother attempting to run anything like a normal service on the Wednesday as with the previous 'non strike' day in December?
IMO it would be silly to plan anything other than disruption all week. If Wednesday turns out to be normal operations then it would be a bonus.

It is incredibly difficult to try and squeeze a day's normal working in between two sets of amended operations, given the timescale.

Goldfish62

Established Member
IMO it would be silly to plan anything other than disruption all week. If Wednesday turns out to be normal operations then it would be a bonus.

It is incredibly difficult to try and squeeze a day's normal working in between two sets of amended operations, given the timescale.
The SWR website states that strike timetable will operate on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, inferring that Wednesday will be normal.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The SWR website states that strike timetable will operate on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, inferring that Wednesday will be normal.
They will say that.

It will all depend on what can be magicked out in the next couple of weeks.

Puffin3267

I have an advance ticket at 11:07 on the 9th March from Basingstoke to Exeter.
Looking at the timetable that SWR have posted I will now (assuming everything works) get into Exeter after 15:00. (Normal timetable gets in at 13:43).

Is it likely that I could use GWR Services to do this journey (via Reading)?

I called SWR and the chap didn't have an answer.

Coming back on the 10th the journey time is even longer - I'm booked on the 17:30, there is a bus at 18:05 which I think via connections gets in at 22:23.

If anyone could advise I'd appreciate it, thank you.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If ticket acceptance isn't in place you can either make the journey and claim Delay Repay (this might be a battle but you're contractually entitled to it) or you can obtain a full refund and re-book onto GWR services.

SWT_USER

SWR's strike timetables for the 9th, 10th, 12th and 13th of March 2020 have been uploaded as PDFs, available via this web page:
www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/rmt-industrial-action-march

However journey planners have not been updated yet.

Looks pretty much the same as the previous strike from my station. A half hourly all stations via Hounslow which no one will be able to board after Brentford.

I notice they've said nothing about the Wednesday - I'm still expecting them not to run a normal service but we'll see..

Goldfish62

Established Member
Looks pretty much the same as the previous strike from my station. A half hourly all stations via Hounslow which no one will be able to board after Brentford.

I notice they've said nothing about the Wednesday - I'm still expecting them not to run a normal service but we'll see..
I'm expecting them to run a normal service on Wednesday because they haven't indicated otherwise. For the December strike they made clear at the start that they wouldn't be running a normal service. They haven't done that this time.

Coverage looks better this time, with the Camberley and Chertsey lines having a service. However, what is disappointing is that they've retained the same earlier last trains as per the December strike. In all previous strikes the service has continued until the normal last train.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Wednesday is currently planned a normal service AIUI.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
However, what is disappointing is that they've retained the same earlier last trains as per the December strike. In all previous strikes the service has continued until the normal last train.

Remember you are relying on overworked managers to maintain a service, many of whom will still be catching up after December.

Much worse to advertise a service and not be able to run it as another shift is required from what I understand.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Remember you are relying on overworked managers to maintain a service, many of whom will still be catching up after December.

Much worse to advertise a service and not be able to run it as another shift is required from what I understand.
Still disappointing though. In this respect things have gone backwards since prior to December.

zoneking

No real improvement on December. Still no service to Guildford via Epsom. During the earlier strikes many months go, they did have service on this line.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Still disappointing though. In this respect things have gone backwards since prior to December.
The alternative is to lose some early morning trains where people have no other options, so on the balance of it, probably the best of the disappointing choices I gather.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The alternative is to lose some early morning trains where people have no other options, so on the balance of it, probably the best of the disappointing choices I gather.
My point was simply that before December normal first and last trains were maintained during strikes, even during the week long one in June. Now they're not. That's going backwards, not forwards, especially as SWR claim that they now have more contingency guards.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The statement on their website does say they are exploring what additional services they may be able to run. Though whether that will be extending the hours of operation or increasing frequency in the peak hours isn't said.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My point was simply that before December normal first and last trains were maintained during strikes, even during the week long one in June. Now they're not. That's going backwards, not forwards, especially as SWR claim that they now have more contingency guards.
December did a lot of damage unfortunately.

It would appear that any additional resources this time were focused on providing a service on more routes, rather than enhancing services on routes which already have a fairly comprehensive service.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The trouble is whatever you do, as you can't provide for a full timetable on those days, there are always people who will effectively "lose out". Where the "correct" answer lies is always going to cause disagreements between passengers (and staff alike).

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Sorry if I'm being a bit dense but in what sense did it do a lot of damage? The amount of day job work that was not done with people diverted to be contingency guards, or the goodwill amongst staff asked to take on the role?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks, wonder why they couldn't do that in December then.
Fundamentally there are only so many planners. If they are mostly taken up working on the strike plan (which is different week to week due to possession requirements, and the added complication of Christmas period), then you don't always have the spare resources to then stick an ad hoc day in there which would involve more changes to stock and crew. It's just down to how much resource you have.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Fundamentally there are only so many planners. If they are mostly taken up working on the strike plan (which is different week to week due to possession requirements, and the added complication of Christmas period), then you don't always have the spare resources to then stick an ad hoc day in there which would involve more changes to stock and crew. It's just down to how much resource you have.
That's a great informative post. Thanks

It's derailed posts like this that should be put in news and press releases to passengers and media alike.

Network Rail are getting better at explaining why things might not be working. SWR need to do similar.

Anyway its been suspected so that is something.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Paul Clifton is reporting on Twitter that ASLEF have agreed a pay deal to move to DCO, passenger trains will not move without a safety critical guard on board. No official response from RMT yet.

(will copy and quote the tweet shortly unless anyone beats me to it!)

theironroad

Established Member
Paul Clifton is reporting on Twitter that ASLEF have agreed a pay deal to move to DCO, passenger trains will not move without a safety critical guard on board. No official response from RMT yet.

(will copy and quote the tweet shortly unless anyone beats me to it!)

He can report what he likes but the proposed deal is still subject to a ballot of drivers.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I thought ASLEF were not speaking to SWR until RMT had concluded their talks. Have I remembered that correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.