• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT TOC strike action called off

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFRAIL

Strike action for next week has been called off following a revised offer from RDG.

The RMT has suspended plans for rail strikes on 30 March and 1 April, the union has announced.

A tweet from the union said: "Following further discussions between @RMTunion and the Rail Delivery Group earlier today, industrial action scheduled for 30th March and 1st April is suspended. #RailStrike".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drogba11CFC

Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel? This has been like lumping £50 on a home/away double chance and only for both teams to park the bus.

skyhigh

Established Member
Will services be running normally, or near normally then or is it too late for that now?
With over a week to go I'd expect a normal service (at least at most operators). None of our rosters have been posted for the days yet so they can be amended before posting so no issues with moving hours about.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Will services be running normally, or near normally then or is it too late for that now?

I'd expect normally. Usually if it's called off 2-3 days out its a bit touch and go, but there's plenty of time as it's over a week to go so diagrams and rosters aren't set in stone yet.

1D54

Not a railway employee but am i getting carried away in assuming that all this strike action is finally coming to an end? (In the short term anyway!)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Whatever the outcome of the negotiations, this is great news for next week, and hopefully a good sign for beyond.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If suspended could the RMT reintroduce if the talks fail again beforehand?

Not for the same dates, the 2 week notice period applies.

Actually they could, on a technicality. Although they have issued a press release, the strikes aren’t formally ‘off’ until the RMT write to the employers to confirm it. This normally takes a day or two to arrive. Until that letter lands, they could theoretically reinstate the strikes simply by issuing another press release. Although they’d need a very strong reason to do so.

It would, of course, be terribly bad form to announce the strikes being suspended and then reinstating them, and it is very, very unlikely.

I've noticed on Realtime trains that multiple TOCs (if not all) have already un-cancelled their services.

They weren’t cancelled in the first place!

Starmill

Veteran Member
At present it appears that the re-balloting process for the TOC disputes is still going ahead.

Were they not made cancelled yet?
I guess I didn't check next weeks when checking last weeks.
No. Timetables are usually announced with a few hours to a couple of days notice only.

JoeyB

Not a railway employee but am i getting carried away in assuming that all this strike action is finally coming to an end? (In the short term anyway!)
Maybe, but there would still be the Aslef dispute to settle.

DDB

This is good news as it must mean the RMT think there is something worth talking about. However as an outsider I fear this is harder than the Network Rail dispute as if it involves T&C changes my understanding is that different TOCs are starting from different places.

Snow1964

Established Member
This is good news as it must mean the RMT think there is something worth talking about. However as an outsider I fear this is harder than the Network Rail dispute as if it involves T&C changes my understanding is that different TOCs are starting from different places.

Appears the suspension of strike applies to all 14 TOCs
But they might not all be offering the same thing, or moving things to same levels.

No details have been released regarding why they have been called off now, but weren't called off last week, so what has changed in a week is not yet in the open.

At this stage, it's possible dispute with some TOCs might get settled, but new strike dates for some other TOCs still happen, but apart from highlighting that different outcomes could theoretically happen, I don't want to speculate how many or who.

FManc

It’s something to do with a new “Dispute Resolution Process” the RDG have put forward………whatever that means!

infobleep

Veteran Member
It’s something to do with a new “Dispute Resolution Process” the RDG have put forward………whatever that means!
Perhaps in time, they will enlighten us as to what that is.

Still with the media more interested in other stories today, they are unlikely to have them banging on the door wanting more information.

LowLevel

Established Member
Perhaps in time, they will enlighten us as to what that is.

Still with the media more interested in other stories today, they are unlikely to have them banging on the door wanting more information.
More information tomorrow, apparently.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Maybe whatever deal the RDG comes up with the members will actually get a free & private vote on it this time round, similar to the Network Rail deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.