• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Road sign - quicker by train

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
On the single carriageway section of the A27 heading from Lewes to Eastbourne, there is an official road sign which reads "Lewes to Eastbourne - 20 minutes by train".

This section suffers from congestion so the sign implies that the journey by train is quicker than by road. Are there any other locations where this approach has been tried?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Better still (IMO) there is a stretch of the San Francisco BART system that runs right along the middle of a (often slow, congested) divided highway some way outside the city. Trains "fly" by slow moving traffic; no better advert!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Better still (IMO) there is a stretch of the San Francisco BART system that runs right along the middle of a (often slow, congested) divided highway some way outside the city. Trains "fly" by slow moving traffic; no better advert!

The bit of the WCML around Watford Gap where it runs alongside the M1 is a similarly good advert.

Neil

Saint66

There was one on the M1 advertising Luton Airport Parkway, not sure if it's still there though!

I think this may have been removed during the widening/all lane running project carried out on that section, although I'm open to being corrected.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
What about alongside the MML between roughly Cricklewood and Elstree & Borehamwood?

When I commuted to work down that stretch of line some road users didn't half fly down that section of the M1.....

I think this may have been removed during the widening/all lane running project carried out on that section, although I'm open to being corrected.

I'm pretty sure they have gone too.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Is that the sign where they had a picture of the HEX class 332 because it looks cooler than a Thameslink 319?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Those signs at Luton were removed during the widening work.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
How about the WCML north of Preston, and the Great Western main line around Tiverton Parkway and Cullompton, best of all probably is HS1 alongside the motorway in Kent.

thedbdiboy

But then the Great Central ran alongside the M1 in Leicestershire. We all know what happened there. :(

Well yes, but at that time your shiny new Ford Cortina was likely to overtake a wheezing and filthy Black 5 hauling a grimy rake of maroon Mk1s. I reckon Pendolinos do a much better job of promoting rail to adjacent road users these days.

Established Member
The bit of the WCML around Watford Gap where it runs alongside the M1 is a similarly good advert.

Neil

But 55 years ago it was the other way round! As post 13 has said, some of the trains running then put a up a feeble performance in comparison to road vehicles, and in those days there was no maximum speed limit on motorways (or on any road which didn't have a specified maximum speed). Specifically, the new Motorway Express coaches introduced by Midland Red on Birmingham to London services regularly overtook trains along that section of the M1.

SqUaShIe P

I was going to say the same as Causton, I always see similar signs when im heading down the M1 towards London around Luton Airport Parkway.
I think the same thing every time i see it, 'quicker by train'... not the way I drive ;)
But more seriously, I reckon my journey would take longer to go into London by train and then come back out again on the underground to get to my home patch, than to just drive there directly

Tony2215

On the M1 just 10 miles north of London theres a sign that says "Manchester to London in 2 hours by train". So I turned round, drove the 150 miles back to Manchester and got the train

6Gman

Established Member
How about the WCML north of Preston, and the Great Western main line around Tiverton Parkway and Cullompton, best of all probably is HS1 alongside the motorway in Kent.

I thought that until we failed alongside the M6 and had to wait for a Thunderbird to rescue us! :D

Lincoln

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a picture of this (as I was driving!).

In Lincoln at the moment theres a significant amount of roadworks going on, and on the electronic information boards there were plenty of messages advising people to use the trains for local journeys. Was impressed with that :)

A0wen

On Moderation

Neil

Apart from the fact the WCML doesn't follow the course of the M1 once past Rugby, with the M1 heading to Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield and Leeds whereas the WCML goes elsewhere.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Apart from the fact the WCML doesn't follow the course of the M1 once past Rugby, with the M1 heading to Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield and Leeds whereas the WCML goes elsewhere.

Many drivers at Watford Gap will be to or from the M6 which serves the same cities as the WCML.

bramling

Veteran Member
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a picture of this (as I was driving!).

In Lincoln at the moment theres a significant amount of roadworks going on, and on the electronic information boards there were plenty of messages advising people to use the trains for local journeys. Was impressed with that :)

The sad reality is that many or most journeys simply are *not* quicker by train.

Commuter journeys in to London or some other cities possibly, but otherwise it's hard to think of any journey where the train has a real advantage.

Even long journeys like London to Glasgow, whilst the point-to-point run may be fast, the reality is that most people won't be starting their journey at Euston. And try doing a journey like Stevenage to Northampton and claim it's quicker by train, even in rush hour! Even Stevenage to Plymouth is quicker by car.

A sad state of affairs, especially as rail travel has generally tended to get slower in recent years.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The sad reality is that many or most journeys simply are *not* quicker by train.

Commuter journeys in to London or some other cities possibly, but otherwise it's hard to think of any journey where the train has a real advantage.

Even long journeys like London to Glasgow, whilst the point-to-point run may be fast, the reality is that most people won't be starting their journey at Euston. And try doing a journey like Stevenage to Northampton and claim it's quicker by train, even in rush hour! Even Stevenage to Plymouth is quicker by car.

A sad state of affairs, especially as rail travel has generally tended to get slower in recent years.

More people travelling now, whether by road, rail or air, than every before means in many instances that things slow down. Just look at the motorways - they've hardly speeded up over the years.

Rail won't win all of the time, nor should it but there are many routes where rail is preferable to road.

On the specific of Stevenage to Northampton I am very familiar with this journey by both road and rail. A decent road trip, off-peak, takes around 1h15m.

By rail off-peak you can do it in 1h35, to be fair this doesn't fully meet the minimum connection time but I've never failed to make it by taking the xx06 from Stevenage, changing at Finsbury Park to the Victoria Line and getting the xx49 off Euston.

The reverse journey is fun - take the xx50 from Northampton to Euston, with some very nimble footwork it is possible to make the xx58 from Finsbury Park, arriving into Stevenage at xx16. Journey time 1h26. To be fair it's very, very tight between Euston and Finsbury and you need a kind platform at Euston and to be in the correct position in the train upon arrival at Euston and on the Victoria Line. I make it more often than not though!

B&W

On the single carriageway section of the A27 heading from Lewes to Eastbourne, there is an official road sign which reads "Lewes to Eastbourne - 20 minutes by train".

This section suffers from congestion so the sign implies that the journey by train is quicker than by road. Are there any other locations where this approach has been tried?

East to West am and West to East pm are the directions which suffer congestion all along the A27 (and south side of the M25 come to that), you can consistently drive from Lewes to Eastbourne in 20mins or less in the morning. However I suspect some of the traffic going in the Brighton direction would indeed like to use the adjoining rail line but with rammed 313s and two coach Ashford/Brighton trains, if you are faced with a 20mins crush or 30+ mins in your car you choose car every time.

Brian

Julia

In which case, the operators should be advertising - and working on improving - the whole experience. Sure I can drive to the Midlands faster than the train from SNO, but I can't kick my shoes off, have a coffee, take a few calls, do some work on my laptop (at least not legally and safely), watch a film that way, and I never find myself more than 20 miles from the next loo. Train wins comfortably on "dead time" spent.

Now, if only GN could get their backsides in gear and fit the 365s with wi-fi...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Well yes, but at that time your shiny new Ford Cortina was likely to overtake a wheezing and filthy Black 5 hauling a grimy rake of maroon Mk1s.

A grimy rake of maroon Mk1s...far more evocative than "Newton Heath's Finest" are today, with both being in their dotage. Strangely enough, Newton Heath (26A) was where "wheezing and filthy Black 5s" were also to be found in those days of my youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.