• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Robertsbridge Junction (for Tenterden)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1609

Established Member
I'm pleased to be able to report that the Rother Valley Railway has today been granted planning permission to re-instate the missing link of the K&ESR between Junction Road and Northbridge Street Robertsbridge, The permission was granted with unanimous support from Rother District Council and is the result of many years work. Next stop Transport and Works Order.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roast Veg

Established Member
Fantastic! Any public documentation of the plan available? I'm curious how they plan to cross the A21.

markindurham

Fantastic! Any public documentation of the plan available? I'm curious how they plan to cross the A21.

IIRC the local authority were quite keen to allow a level crossing because it gives them a legitimate excuse to slow traffic down on that stretch of the A21. Presumably there will be a reduced speed area either side of the new LC, if indeed this is how they're going to do it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Brilliant news. Well done to everyone involved.

paul1609

Established Member
All 3 new road crossings will be full barrier level crossings. The plan has the support of Highways England as the authority for the A21 trunk road and East Sussex County Council as the authority for Junction Rd and Northbridge Street. The A21 crossing will have time restrictions when it can't be used Mon to Friday peak times. All the documents can be found on Rother District Council's website but be aware the documentation is quite extensive

HowardGWR

Established Member
All 3 new road crossings will be full barrier level crossings. The plan has the support of Highways England as the authority for the A21 trunk road and East Sussex County Council as the authority for Junction Rd and Northbridge Street. The A21 crossing will have time restrictions when it can't be used Mon to Friday peak times. All the documents can be found on Rother District Council's website but be aware the documentation is quite extensive

williamn

Wonderful news! It will be great to see the Robertsbridge to Tenterden link restored. Is it too pie-in-the-sky to wonder if in fact this might have a role to play in actually easing congestion one day and allow commuters to connect to London-bound trains at Robertsbridge? I know very few heritage lines have ever made any kind of public service really work, but being located in prime commuter land this might have more legs?

steamybrian

Established Member
Wonderful news! It will be great to see the Robertsbridge to Tenterden link restored. Is it too pie-in-the-sky to wonder if in fact this might have a role to play in actually easing congestion one day and allow commuters to connect to London-bound trains at Robertsbridge? I know very few heritage lines have ever made any kind of public service really work, but being located in prime commuter land this might have more legs?

It one word....no.!
I understand that a condition of the approval for the railway reopening is that trains will not be permitted to run over the A21 level crossing during Monday-Friday morning and evening rush hours. This was mentioned by Paul1609 in message 35 previously

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member

Trainfan344

Established Member
Presumably we'll know more of a timescale when the transport and works order application goes in?

paul1609

Established Member
It one word....no.!
I understand that a condition of the approval for the railway reopening is that trains will not be permitted to run over the A21 level crossing during Monday-Friday morning and evening rush hours. This was mentioned by Paul1609 in message 35 previously
Actually as Robertsbridge is roughly 90 mins away from London the A21 level crossing restrictions wouldnt stop us from running a connecting service to one of the principal commuter trains to Canon Street the 07.07 ex Robertsbridge or the return 17.37 from Cannon Street, however I suspect that the cost v the potential number of passengers would. The number of commuters to London decreases at every station south of Tunbridge Wells those living in the area served by the K&ESR have good railheads at Paddock Wood, Staplehurst, Headcorn and Ashford International. I live at Wittersham on the K&ESR and have commuted for 2 years to London recently. I can drive to either Ashford International or Headcorn in 25 mins (traffic in Rural Kent is non existant), am I really going to drive to Wittersham Road for a 30 min DMU ride to Robertsbridge followed by a 90 min trip up to town? Sadly not-our business opportunity from the mainline is to attract people in to the Tourist attractions of the area and our own established products.

2HAP

I would have though that the Bluebell was better placed to run a commuter service from SP/HK to EG. They haven't got any self-shunting carriages though.

steamybrian

Established Member
I would have though that the Bluebell was better placed to run a commuter service from SP/HK to EG. They haven't got any self-shunting carriages though.

All three Bluebell stations are remote from any sizeable communities. Thus any prospective commuters are likely to drive to the nearest NR station such as Haywards Heath or East Grinstead which will offer a quicker and more frequent service than the Bluebell would likely to offer. (Assuming "Southern" are running normally..:oops:).
Finally considering staffing requirements it would require a number of staff on duty from very early morning to late evenings every Monday to Fridays which at present it does not provide. First train at present is 1000 SP-EG and last is 1815 EG-SP. Many weekdays in January, February and March when no trains.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Not sure if there's enough time in the day to go from Sheffield Park to Tenterden on the Bluebell, Spa Valley, and K&ES Railways (and SN/SE connecting services) - but that's some day out if it is!

paul1609

Established Member
Not sure if there's enough time in the day to go from Sheffield Park to Tenterden on the Bluebell, Spa Valley, and K&ES Railways (and SN/SE connecting services) - but that's some day out if it is!
Would you allow a walk from Tunbridge Wells West to Tunbridge Wells Central?

paul1609

Established Member
Well then without giving too much away and assuming the other operators (Bluebell, Southern, Spa & Southeastern) don't change their timetables the 10.45 departure from Sheffield Park would get you to Tenterden Town at 17.45 so a single journey would be possible but definitely not a day return :)

Firesprite

The KSER are going to have trouble with the two loopy farmer's. One of which claims that the railway will destroy the village of Salehurst.

Crawley Ben

The KSER are going to have trouble with the two loopy farmer's. One of which claims that the railway will destroy the village of Salehurst.

Read this in Steam Railway & Heritage Railway. What a load of nonsense these people are talking. The new line will surely do the local businesses in the area the world of good as opposed to doing the opposite. I hope some common ground is found soon, and a scenario that benefits everyone is reached - wishful thinking I know!

Cheers

Ben

Firesprite

At Swanage in the early days, we had problems with a house owner in Kings road who's house backed on to the railway, he had even extended his veg plot on to railway land. His house was covered with banners demanding railway be closed and that the members were just playing trains. Every time the train come near his house, he would run out with a megaphone yelling colourful language at the train. Then there was the problem with the chair keys being knocked out at night. It could never be proved that he was the one doing. He kept it up to the day, he dropped dead in mid rant. We had no trouble after that.

bishdunster

At Swanage in the early days, we had problems with a house owner in Kings road who's house backed on to the railway, he had even extended his veg plot on to railway land. His house was covered with banners demanding railway be closed and that the members were just playing trains. Every time the train come near his house, he would run out with a megaphone yelling colourful language at the train. Then there was the problem with the chair keys being knocked out at night. It could never be proved that he was the one doing. He kept it up to the day, he dropped dead in mid rant. We had no trouble after that.

Yes I remember that "gentleman"! I take it you were one of the originals there as I was, wonder if you are going to be there for the first train to wareham tomorrow? If you are please do make yourself known to me. I have had my invite and am looking forward to meeting up with some old friends. regards Bish.

Firesprite

Yes I remember that "gentleman"! I take it you were one of the originals there as I was, wonder if you are going to be there for the first train to wareham tomorrow? If you are please do make yourself known to me. I have had my invite and am looking forward to meeting up with some old friends. regards Bish.

I will not be able to make it myself as my summer posting to Ny-Ålesund on Spitsbergen does not end until the 30th August. But with luck I should get back in time for the last Saturday services on the 2nd September. And take the grand-kids to Swanage and back.

Do you remember that the track fund was nick-named "Bish's Beer Fund" back then.

bishdunster

Obviously we know each other, but I cant be sure who you are for certain, were you per chance in the R.N. and at one time on the Ark? regards, Bish

Firesprite

Obviously we know each other, but I cant be sure who you are for certain, were you per chance in the R.N. and at one time on the Ark? regards, Bish
I was one of the sixth former's from Poole Grammar School who took part installing the Turntable and run-round loop at Swanage.

paul1609

Established Member
Theres a good article by Geoff Courtney in the June 2 to 29 issue of Heritage railways which shows the strip of the trackbed recently purchased by the RVR.
The trackbed is still extant on the land owned by Moat farm (from the Public Bridleway underneath Salehurst village on the map in the article) to the recently purchased trackbed.
Im confident that the extension will progress its only a matter of time.

williamn

Great news. Is there a timeline for the project or does it all depend too much on whether compulsory purchase will be necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.