• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rossobus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Great, by early 2019 the network will be half the size....

Rosso is a weird municipality in that its "traditional" network is dominated by just one main route, as most of the population in the borough live near in a valley. Since deregulation it has expanded into Greater Manchester and took over routes that GM Buses then First lost interest in. So if they pulled their GM routes they would hardly have anything left.

96tommy

Don't know what to think of this. Always found Rosso a nice company to travel with so ttanadev got to work hard to keep that up

Andyh82

Established Member
I'm surprised Rosso wasn't acquired years ago, in fact wasn't it on the table at some point before, and Transdev Blazefield was always the ideal fit.

Lots of the fleet is ex Transdev and the livery is very similar to their standard look already

Volvodart

Established Member
http://www.route-one.net/articles/Business_deals/Rosso_set_to_join_the_Transdev_Blazefield_family

Rosso set to join the Transdev Blazefield family

Transdev Blazefield promises ‘multi-million’ bus investment for Rosso
Municipally-owned bus operator Rosso is set to join the Transdev Blazefield family, with the group pledging a “multi-million pound” investment in new buses if the deal is approved by Rossendale Borough Council members at a meeting on Wednesday (20 December).

The council has already reached an agreement in principle to sell its shares in Rosso to Transdev but the deal is subject to finalisation of detailed terms. The Haslingden depot will be retained by the local authority.

As part of the outline agreement, Transdev is planning to invest significantly in Rosso, including spending in the region of £3m in the year following the deal in what it describes as “state-of-the-art buses.”

Transdev has confirmed that it plans to retain the Rosso brand after the deal is complete.

Says Transdev Blazefield Chief Executive Alex Hornby: “Following approval and finalisation of the proposed deal, we are looking forward to welcoming our new colleagues at Rosso into the Transdev Blazefield family.

“Our track record in Lancashire and across the north is one of growth, innovation and creating buses that people want to be seen on, and we have exciting plans ahead, including investment in new, high-spec buses to benefit the people of Rossendale and Greater Manchester.

“From day one, we will be talking and listening to staff, customers and stakeholder about our strategy to eensure that we deliver attractive bus services that reflect the needs of local communities and strengthen local economies.”

Adds Councillor Alyson Barnes, Leader of Rossendale Council: “The proposed sale is a great deal for the council and for the borough that will see significant investment into Rosso to make sure that we continue to get a great bus service locally. It’s not about resolving the council’s financial challenges. We are looking at ways of closing our budget gap and ensuring continuous investment in public services.

“Transdev is an award-winning company with a strong reputation for quality services and investment that gets more people on board buses. Residents will benefit from the fact that the new service will be able to join up routes across the sub-region. We would not be selling our shares if we didn’t think that Transdev could deliver an even better service than we have now.”

BradK2017

Why would you think that? Transdev has got rid of very little recently (apart from losing some council contracts).

Think they are hinting at how both the Burnley & Blackburn networks has seen many routes cut over the years.

I Wonder if this would effect routes that operate alongside/against First in the Bury area,as Transdev seem to have a good relationship with First in Yorkshire.

overthewater

Established Member
Think they are hinting at how both the Burnley & Blackburn networks has seen many routes cut over the years.

I Wonder if this would effect routes that operate alongside/against First in the Bury area,as Transdev seem to have a good relationship with First in Yorkshire.

Spot on. Im sure thats the old name used ;)

Kahuna47

It's an interesting turn of events, and something entirely inevitable IMO. Rosso have such a small patch that no outside firms other than First or Transdev were ever going to touch it. And with First's crap balance sheet it was a one horse race. Its a shame as Rosso are a well known and decent firm, but I'm sure Transdev will keep up the pace and hopefull replace Rosso's 'Prides of the fleet'!

It'll be good to see how this pans out with the proposed GM franchising coming soon. The Route One story about depots indicate Transdev aren't getting the main Haslingden depot?? I'm assumung they'll get Rochdale which is nothing more than a field really.

Transdev are also favourites for taking over some/all of First Manchester depots, so I wonder if this could be the start of a Bus War...

SCH117X

Established Member
Don't know what to think of this. Always found Rosso a nice company to travel with so ttanadev got to work hard to keep that up
And Transdev aren't? Yet another unnecessary dig by a Connoxious buses lover.

96tommy

And Transdev aren't? Yet another unnecessary dig by a Connoxious buses lover.
??? You've got me here, what dig did I write. I just said Rosso always a nice comapny to travel with and hope it continues with Transdev. I wish them every success and hoep they can keep the brand continuing.

robertclark125

Established Member
In a recent edition of Buses magazine, there was an article written by someone, who rode for a day on some of the Rosso network. It gives an insight into some of the challenges the new owners face, but some of the challenges are faced by operators up and down the country..

SCH117X

Established Member
??? You've got me here, what dig did I write. I just said Rosso always a nice comapny to travel with and hope it continues with Transdev. I wish them every success and hoep they can keep the brand continuing.
No you wrote Transdev (misspelt) " got to work hard to keep that up".

Blazefield have never tolerated services which fail to make a return so their may be issues with any marginal routes; the classic was way back in the 1990s (well before they came part of Transdev) when having taking over commercially the Ripon-York service as a result of the acquisition of Uniteds Ripon depot, and announced they would improve service. quickly withdrew from it. Today they do operate the service as part of the "Little Explorer" network (with or without funding from NYCC depending who you believe - I suspect their is a token element of funding equivalent to the cost of the limited minibus network NYCC were proposing to replace the service with)

Will be interesting to see if the name changes - The Rossendale Bus Company ? Could have been simpler if they had retained the Lancashire United name at Blackburn and just rolled Rosso into it

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
December 20th is when the council are supposed to ratify the deal (rat being the operative word) when another piece of the country's local transport history becomes absorbed into the megalith culture. In 1967 there were 99 municipal bus operators in the UK each giving their own individual stamp to a locality and controlled by the local people for the local people, Now we have large corporate organisations who just do as they please with no one to control (apart from London) what they charge and what services they operate.

96tommy

No you wrote Transdev (misspelt) " got to work hard to keep that up".

Blazefield have never tolerated services which fail to make a return so their may be issues with any marginal routes; the classic was way back in the 1990s (well before they came part of Transdev) when having taking over commercially the Ripon-York service as a result of the acquisition of Uniteds Ripon depot, and announced they would improve service. quickly withdrew from it. Today they do operate the service as part of the "Little Explorer" network (with or without funding from NYCC depending who you believe - I suspect their is a token element of funding equivalent to the cost of the limited minibus network NYCC were proposing to replace the service with)

Will be interesting to see if the name changes - The Rossendale Bus Company ? Could have been simpler if they had retained the Lancashire United name at Blackburn and just rolled Rosso into it

I think you've read too much into what I wrote. Spelling was by accident, I rarely look back at what I've wrote. Transdev have got to work hard to keep the good friendly service by Rosso up. I don't know how there is anything "Anti-Transdev" about that. I'm sure Transdev will do good at it as it is one of the things they do very well.

Last edited:

Wirewiper

I remember the article in Buses magazine about Rosso. It gave the impression of a somewhat lacklustre operation in poor operating territory with indifferent loadings, and served as a salutary reminder that not all our remaining municipals are star flyers like Lothian, Nottingham or Reading.

I am sorry to say that its sale now has not come as a surprise to me, and I hope Transdev/Blazefield can secure the future of decent bus services in the area.

ChathillMan

I remember the article in Buses magazine about Rosso. It gave the impression of a somewhat lacklustre operation in poor operating territory with indifferent loadings, and served as a salutary reminder that not all our remaining municipals are star flyers like Lothian, Nottingham or Reading.

I am sorry to say that its sale now has not come as a surprise to me, and I hope Transdev/Blazefield can secure the future of decent bus services in the area.

Indeed, As somebody that has used present day Ipswich Bus and Halton on a regular basis they need a good kick.

Wirewiper

In recent years Ipswich Buses has fought off a takeover bid from Go-Ahead and has also faced direct competition from First, although this has recently abated to a large extent and both operators seem to be maintaining an uneasy truce. It has increased its "Country routes" portfolio recently by acquiring the bus services of Carter's of East Bergholt. It has also purchased thirteen ex-Metroline (and originally First London) Scania OmniCitys as a cost-effective way of modernising and standardising its fleet.

I can't comment on Halton or Newport as I am not familiar with their operations.

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
I understand that Stagecoach have shown some interest in Halton, though nothing has come of that so far.

overthewater

Established Member
How well are Diamond Bus faring in the north-west?

I keep on forgetting about those northern Manchester operations, Preston bus which is also in the area are supposed to be doing alright.

I understand that Stagecoach have shown some interest in Halton, though nothing has come of that so far.
I thought it was Warrington, with Rotala going after Halton? Either way Arriva are out of the running on both.

turboslug

Not wanting to see halton go but it's no secret that stagecoach would want it, would tie into their expanding network nicely, don't think arriva would be to keen, diamond seem to be doing ok they are winning plenty of tender work in Lancashire & are starting to get a bigger on west side of manchester, still be interested who would be 2nd company they would buy after go goodwins

turboslug

I know arriva couldnt bid on halton but what would problem be with bidding for warrington if they ever decide to sell, I've no idea if warrington would want to sell or how their finances are but i believe they charge some of highest fares in country

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev own 18% of Nottingham City Transport which could be interesting if someone else tried to buy the 82% owned by the City Council.

Status
Not open for further replies.