• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routes between stations in tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapy

Established Member
I'm after journeys between 2 adjacent stations on the same line, where the majority of the route between the stations is in tunnel, but the stations are not.

For Clarification:

1) Must be Light Rail/National Rail (London Underground excluded as there must be loads!)

2) The two stations must be adjacent on the same line, which passenger services run along. (e.g. Brunswick - Sandhills wouldn't count as it passes through 2 other stations)

3) The two stations both must not be in tunnel. A station with a roof e.g. Liverpool Lime Street High Level or York is OK but Liverpool Lime St Low Level and Essex Rd would not be.

4) More than 50% of the journey must be in tunnel

5) Less than 50% of the platform can be in tunnel

examples I can think of.

Severn Tunnel Junction - Pilning
Dore - Grindleford
Conway Park - Birkenhead North
Birkenhead Central - Green Lane
Liverpool Lime St - Edge Hill
Birmingham Moor St - Snow Hill

there must be lots more...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
St Pancras International-Stratford International
Birmingham New Street-Five Ways

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
St Leonards Warrior Square-Hastings is about 90% in one tunnel;
Hastings-Ore is about the same :D;
Rochester-Chatham about 95% in one tunnel;
Chatham-Gillingham is about 80% in a tunnel :D

4SRKT

Established Member
However, St Pancras > Stratford is a good one :)

Continuing my NTP theme, Marsden > Greenfield.

At_traction

As I have no life whatsoever, let's continue:
Sydenham Hill - Penge East (90+ % in tunnel)
Crystal Palace - Gypsy Hill

Established Member
However, St Pancras > Stratford is a good one :)

Continuing my NTP theme, Marsden > Greenfield.

Just about to put that one down.

North Shields to Tynemouth has around 13 tunnels of different lengths.

SteamontheMet

Castle Bar Park - Drayton Green

On FGW's Greenford Branch out of Paddington.

CBP - straight into tunnel - out of tunnel - DG
About 2 minute ride.

London Underground Central Line
Stratford International - Leytonstone most of it is in a fairly long tunnel and both stations are above ground.

(I don't think LUL counts according to the rules)

Trying to think of more?

Last edited:

class156

Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Charring Cross and High Street is mostly in a tunnel, The high level queen street platforms form a roof over the platforms on the Low Level station, both ends of the platforms are in a Gap which allows light through, same at Anderston and High Street is in the open.

Last edited:

At_traction

Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Anderston and High Street is mostly in a tunnel, The high level queen street platforms form a roof over the platforms on the Low Level station, both ends of the platforms are in a Gap which allows light through, same at Anderston and High Street is in the open.

Nope. Purely IMO, when the platforms are below grade and below upper platforms (or below a street jumble as at Anderston), that's a station under ground (even if no UndergrounD)... An open cutting and canopies should only count, I'd say. :|

Nope. Purely IMO, when the platforms are below grade and below upper platforms (or below a street jumble as at Anderston), that's a station under ground (even if no UndergrounD)... An open cutting and canopies should only count, I'd say. :|

I would say Queen Street would count, Its just one massive canopy. Plus I think the post before means Charring Cross not Anderston as they are on different lines. Charring cross is where one tunnel stops and another starts so its not really a cutting, whereas Anderston is a cutting.

So going by the rules of the very first post, in scotland you would have, Charring Cross - Queen Street
Queen Street - High Street
Belgrove - Duke Street? (possibly, need to check my Quail maps)
Exhibition Centre-Brigdeton as that is one full section (by name there are seperate tunnels inbetween but all part of the same structure really).

Greenock Central to Greenock West
Barnhill-Alexendra Parade? (more of a long bridge inbetween but they are only half a mile if that apart).

12CSVT

Established Member
Kearsley - Farnworth perhaps

Grove Park - Elmstead Woods ?

As for preserved lines Ingrow West - Damems isn't far off meeting the criteria

At_traction

I would say Queen Street would count, Its just one massive canopy.

Yes, but only the upper level terminus station (pfms. 1 to 7), not the low level which is the east-west line through-station (pfms. 8 & 9):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/Glasgow_Queen_Street_low_level.jpg/800px-Glasgow_Queen_Street_low_level.jpg
Doesn't look open to me...?

Plus I think the post before means Charring Cross not Anderston as they are on different lines.

Indeed. And at Anderston you would have the track exposed to elements (ie. rain ;)) only for a short portion of the station, otherwise being wholly buried under road "canopies" above.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2293/2508999623_20248ec156.jpg
Ie. in my opinion, if the tracks are covered with anything else but the architectural shed structure, with its only function being the covering (and usually transparent), then it's a covered/tunnel station. :| In that sense, it was a good call to exclude LU as there would indeed be more than a few of these stations with open-air tracks or only an architectural canopy/shed...

Charring cross is where one tunnel stops and another starts so its not really a cutting, whereas Anderston is a cutting.

Again, I think too short a portion of the whole platform (and track) is open-air to fully qualify as not being a tunnel station. Better appreciated from a satellite photo, but I'm too lazy - the photo nevertheless shows the whole of open area, about two cars' length?
http://www.railbrit.org.uk/images/20000/20225.jpg

And another one to add to the list
Bridgeton - Dalmarnock

Exhibition Centre or Anderston to Bridgeton would not count as it passes through to stations going by the original post.

At_traction

Kentish town - west hampstead thameslink

Borderline?
Finchley Road & Frognal - Hampstead Heath... ;)

Farringdon - kings cross thameslink (closed)

In that case - a bit borderlinish in all but the more ambitious:
South Hampstead - (Chalk Farm (closed)) and (Primrose Hill (closed), this one perhaps a bit too far). Also the tunnel(s) from SH to these stations carry six tracks.
Gauntlet has been thrown. Anyone? :p

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Possibly Caerphilly - Lisvane and Thornhill (probably just about a majority is in the tunnel. If Cefn Onn were still open, then from there to Caerphilly would certainly qualify)

Some definites:
Drayton Park - Finsbury Park

West Hampstead Thameslink - Kentish Town
Finchley Road and Frognal - Hampstead Heath
(edit: I see these have both been suggested already now. I think the former probably does count: the tunnel continues until the Southampton Road/Malden Road bridge, which must be a good 75% of the way towards Kentish Town)

(South Hampstead to Euston probably doesn't quite make it. Maybe 40% in tunnel)

On the tube Hendon Central - Colindale would count, if it were allowed (both above ground, but mostly in tunnel between them)

Last edited:

class156

I would say Queen Street would count, Its just one massive canopy. Plus I think the post before means Charring Cross not Anderston as they are on different lines. Charring cross is where one tunnel stops and another starts so its not really a cutting, whereas Anderston is a cutting.

So going by the rules of the very first post, in scotland you would have, Charring Cross - Queen Street
Queen Street - High Street
Belgrove - Duke Street? (possibly, need to check my Quail maps)
Exhibition Centre-Brigdeton as that is one full section (by name there are seperate tunnels inbetween but all part of the same structure really).

Greenock Central to Greenock West
Barnhill-Alexendra Parade? (more of a long bridge inbetween but they are only half a mile if that apart).

lol, it was Charring Cross I meant, I become easily confused between the Argyle and North Clyde lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.